Deaf and happy ??

deafdyke said:
he assumed that it was hard...like he was assuming that it was horrible and I live my life as an object of pity.....

Being deaf can be horrible. Imagine that you are a small child undergoing oral exercises in the 1960’s. Imagine sitting there for hour after hour, every day, while a disgusting woman who eats garlic for lunch forces you to repeat the same word over and over and over again while she has her hand clamped around your neck in an LAPD choke hold. If you make a mistake she locks you in a dark coat closet for four hours. That’s how Mayflower grew up.

Levonian said:
Being deaf can be horrible. Imagine that you are a small child undergoing oral exercises in the 1960’s. Imagine sitting there for hour after hour, every day, while a disgusting woman who eats garlic for lunch forces you to repeat the same word over and over and over again while she has her hand clamped around your neck in an LAPD choke hold. If you make a mistake she locks you in a dark coat closet for four hours. That’s how Mayflower grew up.
It is child abuse. I had a scar of this too by this teacher. She hated me and choked me couple time if I do not pay attention to her little lip which it was too far for me to read her lips. I still have hard time to forgive her to this day. But little every child back in 60's got a share of abuse as well.

jazzy said:
It is child abuse. I had a scar of this too by this teacher. She hated me and choked me couple time if I do not pay attention to her little lip which it was too far for me to read her lips. I still have hard time to forgive her to this day. But little every child back in 60's got a share of abuse as well.

How old are you now?

deafdyke said:
and it's not THAT big of a deal....God, some people are such IDOITS when it comes to deafness...I remmy a guy IMing me and saying "oh it must be so hard and weird to be deaf"......Umm...no it's not! I have never been able to hear like a hearing person, so I don't miss it!

I had someone told me yesterday on other forum, "Oh I am sorry you are deaf". I was thinking wow, this one has no idea who I am. I told him I am happy to be deaf and it is who I am.

It is child abuse.
I STILL think that going oral only is child abuse...Actually I think that ANY "healthy normal" mentality in raising kids with disablities is child abuse...I see too many kids with disabilties end up with horrible self esteem b/c they were teased, or b/c they don't have 100% access to the hearing/walking/seeing/fill in the blank world.....

i like being deaf... it ets me apart from the others..... life is sent to try us... and ive found away to work with my hearing....

Levonian said:

It's very sad story... it touch my heart to see cute Mayflower had been through. :(

Yes, I'm agree with others that it's child abuse...

Well, I'm not deaf *yet* but I'm not really concerned about it. It's getting harder to hear in certain places, and sometimes it's frustrating having to ask "what" multiple times, but I'd be a liar if I said I hated the process. I live on experience... It's an experience, albeit an occasionally frustrating one that's going to impact my life in a big way someday. :) When it happens it happens.

I can't entirely speak for the future, but I'm not scared, and I don't see myself being unhappy. Only time will tell, though.

It's really cool!!! People can look and say, " Hey that deaf guy over there is soooo sexy!! He cannot hear, but he has the ability to drive a car with turbocharged engine. It must be soooo cool!!"

Secondly, I'm sure that deaf cats, deaf dogs, deaf ferrets, and deaf rabbits will feel instant connection because their owner(s) is deaf.

Are you happy being deaf? How do you feel about being deaf?

Do you think you would be happier if you could be "normal" ? meaning- all senses, body and health in general intact?
or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy
I'm on my way to being deaf and I'm not happy.. I'm extremely lonely because my friends are abandoning me because of my hearing loss... They find me frustrating just as much as I find them.

I am happy with who I am. My deafness is not an issue. It is audism that is my biggest issue.

I'm on my way to being deaf and I'm not happy.. I'm extremely lonely because my friends are abandoning me because of my hearing loss... They find me frustrating just as much as I find them.

Sounds like your (ex)friends revealed their true selves. You're better off without people like that. As hard as it may be to see it that way. Try not to dwell on it ;-)

Sounds like your (ex)friends revealed their true selves. You're better off without people like that. As hard as it may be to see it that way. Try not to dwell on it ;-)

Exactly. You find out who your true friends are. Unfortunate, yes, but that is how it is.

I am happy with who I am. My deafness is not an issue. It is audism that is my biggest issue.

That is exactly what happen when I was in mainstream school both elementary and high school. I was not happy when they forced me to lipread and be able to understand the hearing teachers and hearing students. I don't remember having notetakers back then. There is no ASL for us to learn and not have ASL interpreters to help us understand what is going on in the classroom. I struggled for long time in both of those schools. I hate to struggle. At home, I was not happy with my hearing family not want to learn to sign basic ASL or more. My sister knew fingerspell of the alphabet. My family were audists not understanding my needs as a deaf person.

Now I am very happy to be graduated from high school and to be away from my hearing family where I find a Deaf pastor of the Deaf church who taught me to sign Ameslan which later transfer to ASL. Signing had opened my burden or lift off chest and I was sooo free to express my ASL. I love it. I joined the Deaf community and felt right at home with them. I had gone to many other Deaf events like bowling, camping and socialize places to have fun. Being Deaf is wonderful. ASL rocks. :D

Nope, not at all "happy" about it... But, I lost my hearing suddenly after having perfect hearing. I would much prefer to be able to hear and communicate as I always did. That said, I've come to deal with my new circumstances, but given the choice, I'd clearly prefer to go back to my old life.

Are you happy being deaf? How do you feel about being deaf?

Do you think you would be happier if you could be "normal" ? meaning- all senses, body and health in general intact?
or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy

Personally, I think I would be happier not being HOH. I feel I miss so much. Would love being "normal!" There are a lot of drawbacks to being HOH and life seems to be full of enough challenges as it is! I wear aids, but they are not always the answer. 11 more months and I will be under medicare and am considering an implant. Hope it helps me. Get depressed sometimes. And lets face it, sometimes people make fun of you when you misunderstand things and it affects self-esteem for sure.

You can be happy with your life but still unhappy with being stone deaf. Most of the time I don't think about my lack of hearing until I get jolted back to reality. I am happier being deaf than I would be hearing and in a wheelchair.

Personally, I think I would be happier not being HOH. I feel I miss so much. Would love being "normal!" There are a lot of drawbacks to being HOH and life seems to be full of enough challenges as it is! I wear aids, but they are not always the answer. 11 more months and I will be under medicare and am considering an implant. Hope it helps me. Get depressed sometimes. And lets face it, sometimes people make fun of you when you misunderstand things and it affects self-esteem for sure.

It is fun though when you get hearing aids, and people forget that you can hear with them on.. and then they say things about you that they think you can't hear :)

Back