Deaf Adoption: A Rhetorician's New Family

The world already knows how great cochlear implants are because there are tens of thousands of adults and children with cochlear implants, some for over 20 years, who are out there in the world as living and loving proof of the tremendous impact a cochlear implant can have upon someone's life.

Sorry, that you feel so threatened by a parent's blog about their child with a cochlear implant that you feel that it is somehow a negative statment about you. You may not want to hear this but not every post is about you, we actually do not consider even consider you when we are talking about either ourselves or our children with cochlear implants. You really need to stop thinking the world, or at least this board, revolves around you.

Ever hear of Muncchausen's by Proxy?

And this board was created to revolve around deaf people and to give them a place to share experiences. Why can't you respect that?

I do not have a blog about my child and her ci but my child recieved her ci in the pre-internet era.

I do not think you are curious at all about why parents are choosing to share their experiences with others, I think it is clear from the tone of your post that you disapprove of these blogs.

Even today there is still so much misinformation about cochlear implants that parents and others who are seeking information about cochlear implants often get sidetracked. These blogs are yet another wonderful resource to help parents learn, gather information and meet others who have or who are considering cochlear implants for their children.

Yep. And guess where that misinformation is coming from?
Kudos to all the parents who are taking the time and making the effort to creat and maintain these blogs as they are making a difference and they are helping others.

Instead of putting these parents down, perhaps you and your co-workers should actually read them. You might actually learn something.

And instead of putting the deaf posters down who are sharing their life experience perhaps you should actually read them. You might actually learn something about deafness fromthe viewpoint of the deaf individual, and not just your own ethnocentric viewpoint.

The world already knows how great cochlear implants are because there are tens of thousands of adults and children with cochlear implants, some for over 20 years, who are out there in the world as living and loving proof of the tremendous impact a cochlear implant can have upon someone's life.

Sorry, that you feel so threatened by a parent's blog about their child with a cochlear implant that you feel that it is somehow a negative statment about you. You may not want to hear this but not every post is about you, we actually do not consider even consider you when we are talking about either ourselves or our children with cochlear implants. You really need to stop thinking the world, or at least this board, revolves around you.

And you need to understand that your limited experience is not refelctive of the experience of the deaf population as a whole. And since your own daughter has chosen to learn sign and familiarize herself with the deaf community, by your own admission....it is entirley possiblethat her perspective of what it is to grow up deaf is entirely different than your hearing persepctive of what she went through growing up deaf.

Shel didn't imply that the blogs were a negative statement about her. The implication is that the blogs are a negative statement about the parent's motivation.

If the world already knows, then I guess you can stop telling everyone, A.G. Bell.

Interesting how you conclude so much negative out of a truly positive undertaking...

I don't agree with parents who put their children in beauty contests, either, but those parents view that as a positive experience. Ask some of the children who have been exposed to all of that how positive it was for them. The positive aspects apply to the parent's rewards and feedback that they get by proxy.

So I guess the gist of it is, if you are proud of what your child is experiencing, and want to tell that to the world, and SHARE those wonderful experiences with the hope of perhaps either educating others who have been fed nothing but misinformation, or simply because its a beautiful thing, you're an insecure parent who needs their ego stroked. How nice!

I don't agree with parents who put their children in beauty contests, either, but those parents view that as a positive experience. Ask some of the children who have been exposed to all of that how positive it was for them. The positive aspects apply to the parent's rewards and feedback that they get by proxy.
Yes, nice analogy... (is that the right word?).....

So for you, sharing information with other is like a contest. You view it as... "I will not give you anything, because you might know more than me.."
You are right. That would be like the beauty-contest you described...

But with parents of deaf children who SHARE their experiences on a blog, their ups, and sometimes downs, there is no competition. It is SHARING.

You should try it sometimes....

So I guess the gist of it is, if you are proud of what your child is experiencing, and want to tell that to the world, and SHARE those wonderful experiences with the hope of perhaps either educating others who have been fed nothing but misinformation, or simply because its a beautiful thing, you're an insecure parent who needs their ego stroked. How nice!

Pretty much. A parent who puts their child on display for any reason does so from the motive of the parent and not what is in the best interest of the child.

Yes, nice analogy... (is that the right word?).....

So for you, sharing information with other is like a contest. You view it as... "I will not give you anything, because you might know more than me.."
You are right. That would be like the beauty-contest you described...

But with parents of deaf children who SHARE their experiences on a blog, their ups, and sometimes downs, there is no competition. It is SHARING.

You should try it sometimes....
ahhh, but you are not sharing inforamtion. You are sharinghte personal experience of raising a child. There is a difference. And in the process, you find it necessary to put a child on display to be judged by what can be seen on the outside only, and not where the true nature of the person lies. A child should not be judged on anything as superficial as physical characteristics or ability to speak.

I have shared inforamtion on any number of occassions. You have simply discounted it. Jusdt as you discount the sharing of information and experience that is offered by deaf indiviuals who have had negative experiences.

Oh, wow!:jaw: Look at that! A deaf personthat can play golf, have children, and live independently! And OMG! A deaf kid that can use their voice!

:ty: Good one Jillio, lost count of how many times I have come across that attitude

And you are welcome! Isn't it just ridiculas?

ROFL,oh yeah. If I could get a penny for every time some hearing gushes over my good speech when they find out I'm deaf, I'd be able to retire at age 40.

I heard some late deafened complain about this too. Well, that's interesting. I've never thought about that from from their POV but I think it applies to them.

BTW Jillio, are you hoh?????.........if so I must have missed that somewhere along the line.....or is it just the usual mudslinging:ty:

Nope, I am hearie with a profoundly deaf son, and I am a counselor whoworks with deaf children and their families, as well as providing services for deaf college students as part of my work on my PhD. With 21 years exposure to the deaf communities,as well as being a part of the hearing community myself, I have simply had the opportunity to witness the ignorance first hand.

ROFL,oh yeah. If I could get a penny for every time some hearing gushes over my good speech when they find out I'm deaf, I'd be able to retire at age 40.

I heard some late deafened complain about this too. Well, that's interesting. I've never thought about that from from their POV but I think it applies to them.

I'm sure it does. Most people only see "can't hear" and don't think about all the things one may have accomplished prior to loosing their hearing. There is no reason why any of those skills should be lost along with hearing. Seems pretty logical to me.:dunno:

Nope, I am hearie with a profoundly deaf son, and I am a counselor whoworks with deaf children and their families, as well as providing services for deaf college students as part of my work on my PhD. With 21 years exposure to the deaf communities,as well as being a part of the hearing community myself, I have simply had the opportunity to witness the ignorance first hand.

Thats what I thought, was just a ref to post #170, but maybe that poster was refering to someone else....and I am having a DDB (deaf dumb blond) moment

Thats what I thought, was just a ref to post #170, but maybe that poster was refering to someone else....and I am having a DDB (deaf dumb blond) moment

No, its not you. I think the poster was refering to me, as well. He just got the info wrong....on all counts.

And since your own daughter has chosen to learn sign and familiarize herself with the deaf community, by your own admission....it is entirley possiblethat her perspective of what it is to grow up deaf is entirely different than your hearing persepctive of what she went through growing up deaf.

Sorry, but you, as usual, have misstated the facts.

As I have previously stated, my daughter at my initial suggestion has taken two ASL courses to fulfill a requirement for her degree. She thought it was a good idea and that it might also help her with those deaf people she knows who do not have the oral language skills that she possesses.

She has not "chosen" to familiarize herself with the deaf community because we chose that for her when she first became deaf. Being part of the deaf community has always been a part of her life and since her diagnosis, our lives as well. She and we have always been involved with the deaf community, just not close-minded people like you who judge people not for who they are but rather based upon the language methodology they utilize or that they chose for their child.

So once again you are wrong (I never get tired of telling you that!!) as those are not my admissions.

"it is entirley possiblethat her perspective of what it is to grow up deaf is entirely different than your hearing persepctive of what she went through growing up deaf."

No.

Ever hear of Muncchausen's by Proxy?

And this board was created to revolve around deaf people and to give them a place to share experiences. Why can't you respect that?

Yes I have heard of it. Ever hear of the infield fly rule? It has about as much relevency to this discussion of your introduction of Muncchausen's by Proxy to this discussion.

Sorry but I do not tell anyone to not share their experiences so I guess this is just another of your bogus and fabricated arguments when you have nothing else to argue.

g2g big hackey sack tournament on ESPN!

Back