Data plan only, no voice plan

It's nothing like an ordinary pager, whether it be Sidekick, Blackberry, Tero, etc.

Perhaps it'd be better if someone doesn't dig up an old thread and turn a thread into a different topic.

I haven't had this kind of pager for over 8+ years since my company deployed digital network.

IMO, that's more of a luxury than a tool. I won't waste my money on something that I may not get the most out of it, due to my low income.

lol, that's very outdated pager like 7-8 years ago.

Hello to PC with 1.1 GHz P3/1.5 GHz P4/, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, GeForce 2/3 and Windows ME. *cough* *cough*

Does any wireless carrier that carry data plan only, no voice plan. I know T-mobile carry that kind of deal and truthfully, they plainly sucks. I research on Verizon's, Sprint's, and other carrier's rates and plans and seem that they insisted on having voice plan selected first then additional features such as data plan. I currently have SK2 but will throw it away soon when my one year contract is up next month. Am looking on getting Treo650, VX 6600 (Verizon), PPC 6600 or 6700 (Sprint). The point of this subject is anyone, a non-member of T-Mobile, that have data plan only, no voice plan with any of those carriers (Verizon, Sprint, or other) that may be benefitical in letting us know of their experiences. :ty:

Check the Sprint Relay which offer Data only plan. I do have BB Curve from Sprint and I fixed the BB to prevent side button from accidently run voice dialing. I had no problem with it. I use MaxMem3 software from OTA (On The Air) download and use it to clean out Pre-loaded softwares and wallpapers ect. I even deleted Voice dialing software from there. It cleaned out nearly 25mb worth of BB's memory. I saw Application list, Dialing on the list but afraid to delete it cuz it might be needed for text dialing ect.

MY old SK2 does accidently dial when I put it in pocket. But newer SK might have better features.

Catty

If someone owns the newer sidekick, they better do a sidekick critic to let us know whether it is worth it or not.

I'm surprised they still offer that Motorola Timeport P935. My friend had that pager long time ago, LOL

I find it funny that cell phone companies claim that they can't turn off the voice plans as ANY phone has to have the ability to make emergency calls. This includes locked and stolen phones! Also if you make an emergency call, it has to be carried by any cellphone tower (not just the one registered to a phone) This is why the companies charge that ~$8 a month for emergency services. So you pay for something that has to be there!

Here's an article I've stumbled upon:
"Imagine if all data cost text messaging prices"
Would you pay $66 for 1 megabyte of data? You already are.

Are you a fan of texting? I certainly am. There have been months when I blew through my texting plan, and got a nasty bill in the mail. I was thinking about this today and It’s amazing how badly we are being ripped off by the phone companies for what amounts to just standard data.

Did you know that a full text message, including text and headers is only about 160 bytes? That’s right. BYTES, not kilobytes, not megabytes. Bytes. And even if you have a texting plan for lets say 1000 messages for $10.00 a month, you’re still paying 1 cent per text. 1 cent for 160 bytes. In that sense, that doesn’t sound like much, I know. It’s hard to get angry over 1 cent. But in this time of high speed mobile internet, and $30 unlimited 3g data plans, charging 1 cent for 160 bytes, is the internet equivalent of throwing you on a bed of hot coals and raping you.

Let me explain.

You’re average MP3 from iTunes or Zune, or wherever you get your music, is somewhere around 4 megabytes. Thats 4,194,304 bytes.

So, if you were charged the same amount of money per byte to download your music, guess how much that single mp3 would cost?

$262.14. OVER TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a single song, downloaded once.

Hell, if you were charged that data rate, guess how much it would cost you JUST to load the homepage of this site?

$32.00. Just to go to ONE web site, ONE TIME.

Ridiculous isnt it? And that is pricing based on having a texting plan. Now granted, my math is off if you’re paying 10 cents per text, or if you have an unlimited texting plan. Also, you wouldn’t want to, nor be able to, transfer that much data over SMS, but the fact is, that since SMS messages are just standard data, there is absolutely no reason that Cellphone companies should charge you so much for so little data, especially in addition to an unlimited data plan.

The funny thing is, that people who would complain about tiered internet access, with 5GB per month caps, have no problem forking over the extra $10 per month for thier text plans.

This needs to stop, and it needs to stop now. I would like to suggest sending a snail mail ( so that they actually read it ) letter to your mobile carrier, letting them know that you are fed up with the high prices for SMS data, and that a change needs to be made. I’ll be sending mine to T-Mobile today.

I have at&t unlimited internet, texting, with no voice plan. The normal price is around 45$ but they discount it quite a bit if you get an audiologist to sign that you're deaf.

Your phone needs to have the OPTION of voice.. if you don't use it, just don't use it! If you do need it for an emergency, you'll be glad you had it. I put the key-lock on when it's in my pocket, so my phone can't accidentally dial out.

I occasionally make voice calls (using web captioned telephone) with my plan.. and only spend maybe 5$ extra a month making them, which for me is a better deal than purchasing a certain amount of minutes in addition to data, which is what i primarily use.

As for working in wireless company.. I can give you some insights.

SMS messaging is being transmitted via A+ link (SS7) which typically only have about 64kbps bandwidth each link.. Most carriers only have like between 4 to 12 links (total utilization cannot excess 40% due to load sharing - if one T1 do down, the utilization cannot excess 80% engineering limit). each T1 can carry up to 24 links but must have 2 T1s (divided into 2 links). each link controls EVERYTHING, including call setup, SMS, caller id, etc.. They are VERY EXPENSIVE and have limited capacity.

Voice traffic goes to dedicate trunk (1/24th capacity of T1) - Carrier usually have about 5000-10000 trunks for voice (it could be more or less depending the size of the market network)

As for Data, In the beginning, I saw we started with 4 T1 in early day of 1X data.. now I am seeing 4 DS3 pipe for EVDO and voicemail traffic and handoff to other carriers. This does not carry SMS.

Now you see the difference between Data and A+ links? That why data is cheap to offer compared to SMS messaging. Since SMS is coming more common as voice, I would not be surprised to see engineering come up new technology that permit passing SMS via data pipe with large amount of bandwidth..

Now you can see why it is currently very expense to SMS... Just use standard IM client on your phones if possible to bypass SMS network.

I find it funny that cell phone companies claim that they can't turn off the voice plans as ANY phone has to have the ability to make emergency calls. This includes locked and stolen phones! Also if you make an emergency call, it has to be carried by any cellphone tower (not just the one registered to a phone) This is why the companies charge that ~$8 a month for emergency services. So you pay for something that has to be there!

Here's an article I've stumbled upon:
"Imagine if all data cost text messaging prices"
Would you pay $66 for 1 megabyte of data? You already are.

Are you a fan of texting? I certainly am. There have been months when I blew through my texting plan, and got a nasty bill in the mail. I was thinking about this today and It’s amazing how badly we are being ripped off by the phone companies for what amounts to just standard data.

Did you know that a full text message, including text and headers is only about 160 bytes? That’s right. BYTES, not kilobytes, not megabytes. Bytes. And even if you have a texting plan for lets say 1000 messages for $10.00 a month, you’re still paying 1 cent per text. 1 cent for 160 bytes. In that sense, that doesn’t sound like much, I know. It’s hard to get angry over 1 cent. But in this time of high speed mobile internet, and $30 unlimited 3g data plans, charging 1 cent for 160 bytes, is the internet equivalent of throwing you on a bed of hot coals and raping you.

Let me explain.

You’re average MP3 from iTunes or Zune, or wherever you get your music, is somewhere around 4 megabytes. Thats 4,194,304 bytes.

So, if you were charged the same amount of money per byte to download your music, guess how much that single mp3 would cost?

$262.14. OVER TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a single song, downloaded once.

Hell, if you were charged that data rate, guess how much it would cost you JUST to load the homepage of this site?

$32.00. Just to go to ONE web site, ONE TIME.

Ridiculous isnt it? And that is pricing based on having a texting plan. Now granted, my math is off if you’re paying 10 cents per text, or if you have an unlimited texting plan. Also, you wouldn’t want to, nor be able to, transfer that much data over SMS, but the fact is, that since SMS messages are just standard data, there is absolutely no reason that Cellphone companies should charge you so much for so little data, especially in addition to an unlimited data plan.

The funny thing is, that people who would complain about tiered internet access, with 5GB per month caps, have no problem forking over the extra $10 per month for thier text plans.

This needs to stop, and it needs to stop now. I would like to suggest sending a snail mail ( so that they actually read it ) letter to your mobile carrier, letting them know that you are fed up with the high prices for SMS data, and that a change needs to be made. I’ll be sending mine to T-Mobile today.

CONFUSED OF WHAT'S unlimited data plan MEAN ?

I just got new bb storm and downloads app but i ain't sure understand what data plan mean ?

Back