Dad got a nine-gun salute

As many of you know, my father died at 3 a.m. Monday, and yesterday was his funeral and burial. It went well, all in all, in spite of frantic last-minute preparations and calls to the military: we wanted Dad to be buried with full military honors, and at first they said no dice, there was not enough time for it to be done. I called an old friend of Dad, a retired Air Force general, and he said not to worry, he would take care of it.
Dad looked great laying in peace in his silver casket: his face was dignified and yet sort of stern-looking, which fit him perfectly, hah. He was in his best business suit and had a rosary around his large, worn hands. I was astonished at the number of people who showed up on such short notice, some from several states away. A few told me stories I have never heard before about him: I gather that he had quite a sense of humor and was fearless on combat missions, yet was scared of storms in the air.
I put Mom in her wheelchair in front of Dad's casket to say her goodbyes, and it was heartrending. Yet I didn't cry. I gave my eulogy and told them how he first taught me to walk, and then taught me how to talk. I told them how he taught me to have appreciation for life, how he had such an infectious passion for it, and finally how he taught us all how to die. There was not a dry eye in the place, and my voice caught a few times, but I shed no tears.
When we arrived at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, I gasped: there were soldiers saluting from the side of the road leading to the small chapel on a hill. We brought the flag-draped coffin inside the structure and I held Mom's hand as they fired the nine-gun salute and while a soldier played taps with his bugle some distance away at the edge of the woods. A couple of Air Force enlistees, one a female Senior Airman and the other a Staff Sergeant carefully removed the flag from the casket and slowly folded the flag into a triangular shape. I couldn't help it: the care in which the Senior Airman took in folding it brought me to tears. It was beautiful! The Senior Airman slowly marched away and the Staff Sergeant said some words to Mom and presented the flag to her. He saluted, then slowly marched away. A third guy, a retired WW II veteran, said words to her as well and gave her a coin commemorating the ceremony, saluted and marched away as well. I was pretty much bawling by then, hah. As we left, I patted the coffin and told Dad we will see him upstairs.
That was part of my day yesterday. I guess I am not as emotionally resilient as I thought, and it will take me forever to fill the hole in my chest.
Just saying.

I am touched by your description of the ceremony. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but, having lost a father that was very dear to me, that hole will never be filled. You simply learn to live with it. You have my most sincere condolences.

Wow, how touching. What a great way to pay your last respects. May your father rest in peace.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

I am touched by your description of the ceremony. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but, having lost a father that was very dear to me, that hole will never be filled. You simply learn to live with it. You have my most sincere condolences.

Thanks, jillio. I totally agree with you, which is why I said "forever." We all have such holes in us, and it is a wonder the wind doesn't just pick us up and fly us like kites.

I sincerely thank everyone for their wishes.

My condolences to you and your family.

Your description is touching.

Hope your mom's holding up okay.

Beowulf, my condolences to you on the passing of your dad.. nice tribute for sure and I bet your dad would have liked it for sure... I know the feelings as I had to say goodbye to my dad when he passed on and did tell him to do me a favor and take mom home soon.. which he did 2 weeks later on when mom finally passed on.. so I know the feelings and I do hope you and your mom will be okay in the days to come.. god bless ya bless and have faith ok?

Thinking of you during this difficult time. The ceremony sounded very beautiful and fitting, and I'm glad your father was honored appropriately. Hang in there.

My condolences to you and your family.

Your description is touching.

Hope your mom's holding up okay.

Beowulf, my condolences to you on the passing of your dad.. nice tribute for sure and I bet your dad would have liked it for sure... I know the feelings as I had to say goodbye to my dad when he passed on and did tell him to do me a favor and take mom home soon.. which he did 2 weeks later on when mom finally passed on.. so I know the feelings and I do hope you and your mom will be okay in the days to come.. god bless ya bless and have faith ok?

Thinking of you during this difficult time. The ceremony sounded very beautiful and fitting, and I'm glad your father was honored appropriately. Hang in there.

Thank you, guys. I am doing okay these days, even though I personally think my mom's time is drawing near. I will deal with that when the time comes. Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them.

By the way, they will put her coffin on top of Dad's.

I didn't realize your father had passed. My condolences. It sounds like he had a rich, full life and touched a lot of people. We should all be so lucky.

I'm always impressed and humbled by the honor and respect the military shows to its members, but also to the family and to everyone involved in the ceremony. Your description was almost identical to the ceremony performed for my grandfather, a man I never met, who was also a Lt. Col. in the Army. It's really quite moving to experience.

Did they present you with the shells from the blanks? I have one from my grandfather's service. I'll always keep it as a reminder of that sense of honor.

Beowulf, sorry about your loss :hug: It's such an honor to pay tribute and respect to those who served our country, as my late grandfather had the gun salute as well. My condolences to you and your mom.

You created a wonderful tribute to him here; one of the best collections of words I have read on this website.

Here is a quote I like: "Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone." ~ Morrie Schwartz

I salute your father for his service. He played a large part in keeping us free to share these words. Well done soldier! At ease!

Beowulf, sorry about your loss :hug: It's such an honor to pay tribute and respect to those who served our country, as my late grandfather had the gun salute as well. My condolences to you and your mom.

My condolences, Beo. I wish the best for you and your family.

You created a wonderful tribute to him here; one of the best collections of words I have read on this website.

Here is a quote I like: "Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone." ~ Morrie Schwartz

I salute your father for his service. He played a large part in keeping us free to share these words. Well done soldier! At ease!

I didn't realize your father had passed. My condolences. It sounds like he had a rich, full life and touched a lot of people. We should all be so lucky.

I'm always impressed and humbled by the honor and respect the military shows to its members, but also to the family and to everyone involved in the ceremony. Your description was almost identical to the ceremony performed for my grandfather, a man I never met, who was also a Lt. Col. in the Army. It's really quite moving to experience.

Did they present you with the shells from the blanks? I have one from my grandfather's service. I'll always keep it as a reminder of that sense of honor.

No, they didn't. But that's okay.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I appreciate them. :wave:

Back