culture? disability? impaired

if it was English then Signers would not have difficulties with English....but research indciates that Signing Deaf people approach English as a SECOND language....ala the people who speak Spanish/French etc as a first language!

sr171soars said:
But my point why there would be a deaf culture/subgroup whatever still stands...

What point? I went back to the long post above and didn't see one. I saw a complaint about upturned noses and how that left a lasting impression about Deaf people. (A one-sided view, of course). I must have missed the point. Could you restate?

dkf747 said:
What point? I went back to the long post above and didn't see one. I saw a complaint about upturned noses and how that left a lasting impression about Deaf people. (A one-sided view, of course). I must have missed the point. Could you restate?

It is this paragraph...
{Getting back to the point of this whole thread about the term of "hearing impairment", I can believe there is something such as Deaf culture. But it is predicated on the fact the people who belong to it invariably have a hearing loss which is why they are in it. They feel that is a place where they can be on equal terms with others primarily due to the unique form of communication without spoken words. The issue of feeling a sense of belonging and acceptance is very important to anybody and it is difficult for a deaf person to feel that in normal society. This very fact points out they don't feel equal out in the normal hearing world (not all of them of course but most). Nobody believes that the average person has a "thing" about deaf people or others with different issues and out to do what they can to make them miserable. }

Deafdyke pointed out that it includes others as follows...[It includes others as Not all people who are Deaf, are deaf or even hard of hearing....there are some unilateral loss folks who ID as Deaf, and there are hearies with other disabilties who ID as Deaf b/c they use ASL/Sign as a primary language!]

My point it doesn't really matter who is in the Deaf culture. They are in it because they aren't comfortable being in the hearing world. See my own cut&pasted paragraph above...

Hope that helps.

Reba said:
ASL is not English. It is called "American" sign language because it is used by American Deaf people.

yeah, right. each word in asl means something in english.

yeah, so? Each word in French, Spanish, Esperanto, Japanese, Karen, !Kung, Farsi, and Pig Latin means something in English....that doesn't make them English!

je_suis_chic said:

No, signs do not represent specific, individual words, but more of ideas and concepts. Do a little background reading on ASL and you'll find this out quickly.

cental34 said:
No, signs do not represent specific, individual words, but more of ideas and concepts. Do a little background reading on ASL and you'll find this out quickly.

not really. The thing is, every word in the english language represents ideas or concepts, it's the word. not the sign.

and thanks everyone! I'm getting exactly what i wanted out of this topic! :ily:

je_suis_chic said:
Each sign in ASL represents a concept, which may translate into several different English words or phrases.

Or, several English words can be conveyed with one ASL sign.

There is no word-sign pairing in ASL and English. There are English glosses which can be used to identify the general concept of a sign but those are not translations of signs.

Reba said:
Each sign in ASL represents a concept, which may translate into several different English words or phrases.

Or, several English words can be conveyed with one ASL sign.

There is no word-sign pairing in ASL and English. There are English glosses which can be used to identify the general concept of a sign but those are not translations of signs.

lmao! But there is! lets take the color pick for example. just because it's my favorite. The sign for pink, being the P brushing on the chin, means Pink. what kind of "concept" is there to get?

I really think you're missing the point. In spoken languages words translates directly to other words. This is not the case with ASL. As Reba explained, several English words can be summed up in one sign. Such as "I Love You" is one single sign. Take a look and you'll see ASL is, in fact, not a derivative of English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_sign_language

I really think you're missing the point. In spoken languages, words translates directly to other words. This is not the case with ASL. As Reba explained, several English words can be summed up in one sign. Such as "I Love You" is one single sign. Take a look and you'll see ASL is, in fact, not a derivative of English.

je_suis_chic said:

Each *sign* in ASL represents a particular idea, which is all any word in any language is. What makes languages different is grammar and syntax and sometimes the ways in which the language is rendered.

je_suis_chic said:
and thanks everyone! I'm getting exactly what i wanted out of this topic! :ily:

Well that's because you're an hearie troll.

well. I am deaf and mobility impared and I am living with hearing people. I am happy for who I am and I accept my disabilities. deaf people should act friendly towards hearing people instead of being rude to hearing people. I want to be with deaf people, but there are other times, that I would be with hearing people for the rest of my life. . life is not easy for everybody.

cental34 said:
I really think you're missing the point. In spoken languages, words translates directly to other words. This is not the case with ASL. As Reba explained, several English words can be summed up in one sign. Such as "I Love You" is one single sign. Take a look and you'll see ASL is, in fact, not a derivative of English.

but it still means exactly something else. there both english. theres just a visual english and spoken english. :applause:

rjr2006 said:
well. I am deaf and mobility impared and I am living with hearing people. I am happy for who I am and I accept my disabilities. deaf people should act friendly towards hearing people instead of being rude to hearing people. I want to be with deaf people, but there are other times, that I would be with hearing people for the rest of my life. . life is not easy for everybody.

amen.

You have to understand that ASL and English are two completely separate languages. Someone was saying that all ASL signs had English equivalents, word-for-word. What about the signs "true business" and "train go (sorry)?" Though there are equivalent English idioms or words, they cannot simply be glossed over from English. There are also tons of English idioms that simply don't make sense in ASL.
I also know, even as a hearie, that there is a deaf culture. I am living in the deaf dorms at CSUN, and I have some truly wonderful deaf friends. Everyone has been totally wonderful and accepting of me. Most of the deaf CSUN students I have met went to mainstream schools, and don't have a strong handle on deaf culture, although they still are proud of being deaf and enjoy being with deaf people However, I went to a performance friday night, with one of my friends who went to a residential school (for the deaf) growing up, and she happened to meet up with a deaf person she remembered from a bit of time when she went to Gallaudet. Of course she was happy to see him, but she also met up with all his friends (deaf). When I saw my friend with other culturally deaf people, I can't say that she was a different person, but something came alive in her that I had never seen before. She was a little bit more relaxed, yes, but it was like she was... whole. Again, I emphasize, this doesn't mean she isn't a great wonderful person when she isn't with deaf people, she is fluent in both ASL and English, and definitely bicultural. It's just, there is a part of her that just comes out with fluid ASL communication and the presence of other deaf people, they just... get it. I believe anyone who has witnessed this knows what I mean.

je_suis_chic said:
but it still means exactly something else. there both english. theres just a visual english and spoken english. :applause:

You keep saying this, but do not back it up. You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't make it so.

PPl who don't understand ASL, think that the person signing ASL is rude ! Cuz we are very blunt with replys. Maybe if you vist Deaf events you will get a better light on Deaf ppl...
ASL is not anyway shape form english... Maybe you have not seen true ASL... or you would fully understand the two differnet meanings! maybe you have gone to a Deaf club got throw outQQ
I can tell the differnet between the ppl on here ! It's shame that some people will put down a great language! I thought this site was about deaf, But maybe I'm wrongQQ
ASL is me frist Language, Im proud signing ASL!
I hope Je suis chic grows up! If u don't want to know learn about deaf why u here on this boardQQ
JMT

LMM

dkf747 said:
You keep saying this, but do not back it up. You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't make it so.

you haven't read everything i've said. I've backed up my point, but you all just keep saying the same shit over and over.

Back