culture? disability? impaired

je_suis_chic

Reaction score
Why is deafness a culture? And if it is, why isn't blindness, or wheelchair users? we could look at every disability as a culture, so why is deafness so special? Okay, so you have your own language, blind people have Braille... and yes, i said "DISABILITY" why do you get so angry at that word.

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

Disability: A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area.

yes, sir. I would include deafness in there.

Then, the word "impaired". My ASL teacher told me that "hearing impaired" is considered very offensive in the deaf community. Impaired means something is broken, or something does not work. Well, your ears do not work; therefore, they would be "impaired"

Please, help me understand all of this.

je_suis_chic said:
Why is deafness a culture? And if it is, why isn't blindness, or wheelchair users? we could look at every disability as a culture, so why is deafness so special? Okay, so you have your own language, blind people have Braille... and yes, i said "DISABILITY" why do you get so angry at that word.

Braille is not a language in itself so much as another method of rendering written English. Sign languages are legitimate languages. SEE may be little more than a signed version of English, but seriously, how many hearing people understand SEE?

je_suis_chic said:
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

Disability: A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area.

yes, sir. I would include deafness in there.

Deaf people may have difficulty getting around in hearing society, but that's precisely why there is Deaf society to begin with. It's easier for deaf/hh/Deaf people to deal with other deaf/hh/Deaf people, just as its easier for hearing people to deal with other hearing people. If the world was predominantly Deaf, would being hearing be a disability?

je_suis_chic said:
Then, the word "impaired". My ASL teacher told me that "hearing impaired" is considered very offensive in the deaf community. Impaired means something is broken, or something does not work. Well, your ears do not work; therefore, they would be "impaired"

It is offensive, at least to me. It's implying that the fact that I can't hear well enough to be considered hearing makes me 'inferior'. I say instead, what gives a person who is hearing the right to say to me that I'm supposed to be hearing and that since I'm hard of hearing there is something wrong with me? Living without hearing or with limited hearing is less of an 'impairment' or a 'disability' and more of a way of life, at least for the Deaf. The fact that hearing people continue to qualify those who cannot hear as inferior only strengthens the unity among them.

By definition, braille is a language. It is a formal form of communication used to express ideas. Some say ASL is not a real language because it is not a written language.

Many people recognize a deaf culture because with the addition of their own language, deaf society has developed its own customs and values, which is typical of any culture. In my own personal opinion, a subculture is more of a proper term, but thats just my idea.

cental34 said:
By definition, braille is a language.

Please explain more. I think you are misunderstanding what a language is.

Are spoken languages without a written form not languages?

dkf747 said:
Please explain more. I think you are misunderstanding what a language is.

Are spoken languages without a written form not languages?
And the implication that both Hangul and Hanji are different languages, even though they're both Korean. Similarly, the post implies that Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji are alldifferent languages even though they are all Japanese.

Definition of language as taken from webster.com

(2) : a systematic means of communicating ideas or feelings by the use of conventionalized signs, sounds, gestures, or marks having understood meanings

Are you going to tell me that Braille does not fit into this definition?

Yes I am. Braille is set of marks which are a method of expressing several languages, including English. It is not a language unto itself but instead a writing system which is used to express one on paper.

From dictionary.com:

Braille (n.) - A system of writing and printing for blind or visually impaired people, in which varied arrangements of raised dots representing letters and numerals are identified by touch.

I don't see the word 'language' in there at all. But just to be doubly sure, I've consulted Wikipedia as well.

According to Wikipedia:
"Braille is a tactile writing system used by blind people. It was invented by Louis Braille of France who was blinded in a childhood accident. At the age of 15 he modified a failed military system for reading orders at night without showing any light (night writing), inventing Braille."

Braille is not a language, as multiple languages (English being one of many) can be rendered in it. Any language that uses the latin alphabet (ie English, French, Spanish, Portugese, Finnish, Swedish, German, Norwegian, Polish, Italian, etc.) can be rendered in braille, just as they can be rendered in the latin alphabet. Surely you're not going to allege that the alphabet is a language? It is a collection of symbols, which when combined with numerals and punctuation produce a written means of the rendering of a particular language. Braille is the same, the only difference being that its intent is to be tactile rather than visual.

Whatever. :roll:

I still view it as a language. It is a formal system of conveying communication, which to me makes a language.

cental34 said:
Whatever. :roll:

I still view it as a language. It is a formal system of conveying communication, which to me makes a language.

You can 'view it as a language' if you want to, so long as you don't try to disseminate that false belief to other people.

Teresh said:
It is offensive, at least to me. It's implying that the fact that I can't hear well enough to be considered hearing makes me 'inferior'.

That's so random though? where did you get "inferior" from?

Teresh said:
Yes I am. Braille is set of marks which are a method of expressing several languages, including English. It is not a language unto itself but instead a writing system which is used to express one on paper.

From dictionary.com:

Braille (n.) - A system of writing and printing for blind or visually impaired people, in which varied arrangements of raised dots representing letters and numerals are identified by touch.

I don't see the word 'language' in there at all. But just to be doubly sure, I've consulted Wikipedia as well.

According to Wikipedia:
"Braille is a tactile writing system used by blind people. It was invented by Louis Braille of France who was blinded in a childhood accident. At the age of 15 he modified a failed military system for reading orders at night without showing any light (night writing), inventing Braille."

Braille is not a language, as multiple languages (English being one of many) can be rendered in it. Any language that uses the latin alphabet (ie English, French, Spanish, Portugese, Finnish, Swedish, German, Norwegian, Polish, Italian, etc.) can be rendered in braille, just as they can be rendered in the latin alphabet. Surely you're not going to allege that the alphabet is a language? It is a collection of symbols, which when combined with numerals and punctuation produce a written means of the rendering of a particular language. Braille is the same, the only difference being that its intent is to be tactile rather than visual.

:bsflag: I would call ASL a forum of english. It does have a different sentence structure and things, however; it is englsh.... hence "american" sign language.

je_suis_chic said:
That's so random though? where did you get "inferior" from?

You're implying that there is something wrong with us because we can't hear at the degree that would be classified as 'hearing' by saying that we are 'impaired'. Impaired in what way? Just because dhh ears do not function the way hearing ears do does not mean that there is something wrong with us.

je_suis_chic said:
I would call ASL a forum of english. It does have a different sentence structure and things, however; it is englsh.... hence "american" sign language.

Then you would be wrong. ASL is a complete language unto itself, as it is not English as it lacks a lot of words that exist in English and has a completely different structure of grammar. SEE is English, however. Maybe you should learn what a language is before making such bold and incorrect assertions

Teresh said:
You're implying that there is something wrong with us because we can't hear at the degree that would be classified as 'hearing' by saying that we are 'impaired'. Impaired in what way? Just because dhh ears do not function the way hearing ears do does not mean that there is something wrong with us.

yes, i am saying there is something wrong with you. exactly. there are 5 sences. when one doesn't work, that's not right. theres something wrong. :applause:

je_suis_chic said:
yes, i am saying there is something wrong with you. exactly. there are 5 sences. when one doesn't work, that's not right. theres something wrong. :applause:

Maybe there are only four senses and hearing people are just deluding themselves.

In all honesty, I've found dhh people have something hearing people don't have. Strong inborn ESP.

Teresh said:
Maybe there are only four senses and hearing people are just deluding themselves.

In all honesty, I've found dhh people have something hearing people don't have. Strong inborn ESP.

umm, sweetie, I don't think that's the case as most people can hear... but i mean, if most people were deaf, I would be the disabled one.

je_suis_chic said:
umm, sweetie, I don't think that's the case as most people can hear... but i mean, if most people were deaf, I would be the disabled one.

Only you wouldn't think you were disabled. Funny how that works. Just because dhh is the minority doesn't mean hearing is any more right or valid. The difference is more a matter of communication and language than one being right or wrong. Are immigrants who don't understand English disabled too?

Teresh said:
Only you wouldn't think you were disabled. Funny how that works. Just because dhh is the minority doesn't mean hearing is any more right or valid. The difference is more a matter of communication and language than one being right or wrong. Are immigrants who don't understand English disabled too?

now your just being kocky... :thumb:

Back