culture? disability? impaired

LMM said:
PPl who don't understand ASL, think that the person signing ASL is rude ! Cuz we are very blunt with replys. Maybe if you vist Deaf events you will get a better light on Deaf ppl...
ASL is not anyway shape form english... Maybe you have not seen true ASL... or you would fully understand the two differnet meanings! maybe you have gone to a Deaf club got throw outQQ
I can tell the differnet between the ppl on here ! It's shame that some people will put down a great language! I thought this site was about deaf, But maybe I'm wrongQQ
ASL is me frist Language, Im proud signing ASL!
I hope Je suis chic grows up! If u don't want to know learn about deaf why u here on this boardQQ
JMT

LMM

I'm here to learn, which is why i started this topic. I'm just asking what I don't understande. I want clarification. so, stop attacking me, and give me answers. you all rant on about how unawair hearing people are. this is why, you don't give us a chance to learn, a chance for us to understande. and "grow up"? I'm a kid, theres no need of that yet.

je_suis_chic said:
but it still means exactly something else. there both english. theres just a visual english and spoken english. :applause:
If one uses 100 percent signed English (with all the suffixes and prefixes, verb forms, etc.), and extensive fingerspelling, one can "represent" spoken English with "signs". Signed English used that way can be another "mode" of spoken English, in the sense that written English, Braille, Morse code, and semiphor flags are other modes of spoken English. But none of them are "languages." Signed English is a "tool" for learning how to read and write English but it is not a language.

ASL is a distinct language. It is not English. If ASL and English were the same language, ASL users wouldn't be having the same problems that they do in using English. English has to be taught as a second language to native ASL users.

That doesn't mean that ASL users can't become fluent English users. Russian and Chinese speakers become fluent in English thru proper training combined with hard work and motivation. I believe the same can happen for Deaf ASL users learning English, if the right techniques are used.

I'm here to learn, which is why i started this topic. I'm just asking what I don't understande. I want clarification. so, stop attacking me, and give me answers. you all rant on about how unawair hearing people are. this is why, you don't give us a chance to learn, a chance for us to understande. and "grow up"? I'm a kid, theres no need of that yet.

PPL give you there thought, Then you reply with hate remarks.. if you need go back read this whole topic & ur replys. this why I told u need grow up.
I can't help that you can't take blutness! I told U Im very blunt! but read ur reply u is very rude! There differnet between the two...
Sorry but feel If I give you inform U just put me down, So why help UQQ

LMM

je_suis_chic said:

If you want to learn things, stop being an ignorant troll and start asking real questions rather than asserting that you, in your ignorance, are correct. You can't learn anything if you don't listen, and frankly your trolling won't make anyone here want to talk to you. :crazy:

je_suis_chic said:
you haven't read everything i've said. I've backed up my point, but you all just keep saying the same shit over and over.

You have not backed it up. Everything you have posted has been refuted. All you're doing is acting stubborn now. ASL and English are 2 different languages. That is a fact. You say yhou are a kid? Well that isn't surprising. I knew everything when I was a kid too.

LMM said:

PPL give you there thought, Then you reply with hate remarks.. if you need go back read this whole topic & ur replys. this why I told u need grow up.
I can't help that you can't take blutness! I told U Im very blunt! but read ur reply u is very rude! There differnet between the two...
Sorry but feel If I give you inform U just put me down, So why help UQQ

LMM

lol okay, I'm sorry. I think the main problem with message boards is it's hard for people to tell when I'm serious or when I'm joking. On line, you can't see my little smirks I make after I say something rude. I'm usially not too serious. My since of humor is just twisted and cynical. Sorry I sounded rude.

ASL is a distinctive language from English. If this were not the case, then I would not still be struggling with my ASL grammar after 3 years of learning ASL. Since I already know English grammar, if they were the same, then I'd be able to simply replace the spoken words I'd normally use with a visual sign. That doesn't work.

And no, there is not a one-to-one correspondence with words from English to ASL. There are certainly examples of words that translate directly and easily, such as the word pink and the sign for pink as someone mentioned. But there are many words in English it is hard to think of the sign for, and many signs it is hard to think of the English word for.

One great example is the sign glossed as "finish." This sign is used in many places where the word "finish" would make absolutely no sense in English.

And there are ways of modulating signs that are not possible in English. For example, verbs which change their direction depending on the subject and indirect object, time signs which incorporate numbers, etc.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go study for a test I have tomorrow...about ASL grammar.....funny I'd need to take such a class if the grammar were the same as English grammar....

but it still means exactly something else. there both english. theres just a visual english and spoken english
No.......Just b/c something TRANSLATES into English, doesn't make it English!

Back