culinary arts Class

deafironchef

Reaction score
I am sure someone is deaf chef in here

i am taking this fall what can i do to prepare
people who work there for long time suggest two interpret and note-taker ?

what your suggest ?

I am sure someone is deaf chef in here

i am taking this fall what can i do to prepare
people who work there for long time suggest two interpret and note-taker ?

what your suggest ?
I've interpreted culinary arts classes before.

One terp should be enough because lectures rarely go beyond 90 minutes. It would be good to have a note taker for the lectures.

Beyond formal lectures, the terp just needs to stay available, close by, for any one-on-one conversations or announcements by the chef.

It also depends on the class. Some classes are full lecture, some are lecture and lab mixed.

The classes I interpreted included field trips, lectures, one-on-one, hands-on demonstrations, and student working in the kitchen and out front.

During demonstrations, try to position yourself and terp for a good view without the terp getting singed or spattered. :lol:

My favorite demo was full hog butchering. :eek3:

I've interpreted culinary arts classes before.

One terp should be enough because lectures rarely go beyond 90 minutes. It would be good to have a note taker for the lectures.

Beyond formal lectures, the terp just needs to stay available, close by, for any one-on-one conversations or announcements by the chef.

It also depends on the class. Some classes are full lecture, some are lecture and lab mixed.

The classes I interpreted included field trips, lectures, one-on-one, hands-on demonstrations, and student working in the kitchen and out front.

During demonstrations, try to position yourself and terp for a good view without the terp getting singed or spattered. :lol:

My favorite demo was full hog butchering. :eek3:

my class in fall will be more than 6 hour some 5 and some are 4 and few are 3

i will take risk by two interp and one good note taker

my class in fall will be more than 6 hour some 5 and some are 4 and few are 3

i will take risk by two interp and one good note taker
Yes, I know that the classes are long because I've interpreted them myself. But you have to see if they are lecture, lab, or lecture/lab classes. Culinary classes are normally less than 90 minutes lecture, then the rest of the time is hands-on practice. You don't need two terps watching you chop vegetables, simmer stock, and cleaning up the kitchen for four hours.

You need the note taker for lecture portion of classes only.

Ask the instructor chefs how each class will be divided for lecture and lab times.

You really should sit down and discuss with them ahead of time. Request a meeting with the department head chef (with a terp) so you can make appropriate plans.

Yes, I know that the classes are long because I've interpreted them myself. But you have to see if they are lecture, lab, or lecture/lab classes. Culinary classes are normally less than 90 minutes lecture, then the rest of the time is hands-on practice. You don't need two terps watching you chop vegetables, simmer stock, and cleaning up the kitchen for four hours.

You need the note taker for lecture portion of classes only.

Ask the instructor chefs how each class will be divided for lecture and lab times.

You really should sit down and discuss with them ahead of time. Request a meeting with the department head chef (with a terp) so you can make appropriate plans.

i will do that in summer it more chef to chef time

Back