Cued Speech: self-taught?

Thank you. :) I am looking at what time it is...., do you mind if I do this later today? :)

Have a great day!

Sure, no problem!

Have a great day too! :)

I've taught myself the basics of Cued Speech. I can understand which handshapes are which, but I'm not great at it. I doubt I'll ever be. I only learned it in one afternoon when there was nothing on TV :D

HearAgain -
From what my sign language instructor explained to me about cued speech (she gave me this information because I was interested in it), it is a system characterized by a set of visibly discrete symbols. Each symbol is the result of pairing a mouthshape with either a handshape or a hand placement. The former distinguishes among consonants and the latter distinguishes among vowels.

Visibly discrete symbols - interesting choice of words for your instructor to use. :)

The handshapes, of which there are 8, can be made with either hand. Each
handshape represent a group of consonant sounds. When a person speak English, there are three distinct, basic mouthshapes. These shapes are round, flat and oval. Within the each hand shape , representing specific sounds/phonemes, the mouth shape is never duplicated.

For example: Handshape 2 is the consonant sounds/phonemes

PHRASE = PHONEMES
the caves = th(voiced) k v z

The phonemes and placements are usually taught with phrases, to provide a more concrete connection to the sounds for the learner.

The same grouping rules apply to the hand placements for the vowel sounds/phonemes, of wich there are 4. For example the voewl "a", in English "makes" three sounds:

"a" - as in a cup
"aw" - as in tawll
or
aee - as in baeby

Vowels sounds are usually very disitinct depending on geographics. Cueing can show the variances in dialects/accents visually.

Combining the hand shapes and placements with the mouth shapes of spoken English, provides visually the phonemes and prosody of English.

Way cool, imo!

HearAgain -

Visibly discrete symbols - interesting choice of words for your instructor to use. :)

handshape represent a group of consonant sounds. When a person speak English, there are three distinct, basic mouthshapes. These shapes are round, flat and oval. Within the each hand shape , representing specific sounds/phonemes, the mouth shape is never duplicated.

Way cool, imo!
It is!
I was blown away by the film on YouTube about Cued Speech... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPw4H-ZsMg"]film on YouTube about Cued Speech[/ame]. We were blown away by that. Every family that want to see what type of communication is available should see the video.

HearAgain -

For example: Handshape 2 is the consonant sounds/phonemes

PHRASE = PHONEMES
the caves = th(voiced) k v z

The phonemes and placements are usually taught with phrases, to provide a more concrete connection to the sounds for the learner.

The same grouping rules apply to the hand placements for the vowel sounds/phonemes, of wich there are 4. For example the voewl "a", in English "makes" three sounds:

"a" - as in a cup
"aw" - as in tawll
or
aee - as in baeby

Vowels sounds are usually very disitinct depending on geographics. Cueing can show the variances in dialects/accents visually.

Combining the hand shapes and placements with the mouth shapes of spoken English, provides visually the phonemes and prosody of English.

Way cool, imo!

Thank you for expanding on my definition. :)

Wow! I need to learn Cued Speech before I learn American Sign Language.

Thanks for the video!! :)

loml - thank you for showing us more about Cued Speech.

I do Tadoma as well when I talk with hearing people. It's tactile lipreading because with my vision diminishing, I do need to put the words together with the lipreading.

So, tactile + cued speech = Tadoma (if someone gets mixed up with "o" and "a," it helps if you break up the word as "Tad-oma")?

That's interesting!

When I am with Deaf and DeafBlind, I tactile.

When I am with hearing people, I use Tadoma.

It helps a lot. :)

When I am with Deaf and DeafBlind, I tactile.

When I am with hearing people, I use Tadoma.

It helps a lot. :)

Interesting, Mrs. Bucket. Out of all the alternative communication techniques for the deafblind that I learned, Tadoma was not one of them. However, I have no doubt that it would have been beneficial for me to learn just the same.

Mrs. Bucket - You are very welcome. :)

I find your topic of Tadoma most interesting! Thanks for the link. :) It is my good fortunate to "meet" people such as yourself, with such a fascinating diversity of skills. :ty:

Interesting, Mrs. Bucket. Out of all the alternative communication techniques for the deafblind that I learned, Tadoma was not one of them. However, I have no doubt that it would have been beneficial for me to learn just the same.

Hear Again - I am so intrigued as to how this all comes together. :) I know this it ot, *sorry*, but what are your choices for communication techniques?

So, tactile + cued speech = Tadoma (if someone gets mixed up with "o" and "a," it helps if you break up the word as "Tad-oma")?

That's interesting!

GraysonPeddie - I am not versed on the intricacies of Tadoma andI have little expereince with tactile sign. When I read the link from Mrs. Bucket and was completely amazed!

Hear Again - I am so intrigued as to how this all comes together. :) I know this it ot, *sorry*, but what are your choices for communication techniques?

Now that I have CIs, my preferred communication method is speech. However, when background noise is an issue, I prefer using an FM system in conjunction with tactile sign and/or Braille realtime captioning.

Prior to receiving my CIs, some of the alternative communication techniques I learned included: print on palm/POP (tracing block letters into the palm of one's hand), TeleBraille (Braille TTY), Teletouch (a device that has a QWERTY keyboard on one side and a single Braille cell on the other; whenever a letter is depressed on the QWERTY keyboard, it appears in Braille on the Braille display), Screen Braille Communicator/SBC (a device similar to the Teletouch except that it contains a Perkins/Braille keyboard, QWERTY keyboard and an LCD screen for sighted-hearing), typing in Wordpad/Notepad and reading this information on a Braille display, Braille realtime captioning (a captionist's laptop is connected to my BrailleNote -- a PDA for the blind -- and I read this information on the BrailleNote's Braille display), Braille/raised print alphabet card (my finger is placed on individual letters to spell out words), communication card (a placard which indentifies me as deafblind and requests that people tap me on the shoulder when it is safe to cross the street) and Fingerbraille (tapping Braille characters on one's arm, lap or back using the first six fingers of each hand).

I do Tadoma as well when I talk with hearing people. It's tactile lipreading because with my vision diminishing, I do need to put the words together with the lipreading.

Lipreading with full vision is difficult. Is Tadoma difficult? How does that work with a group of people talking stimulateanously?

I think Cued speach probably has it's uses. I'd be all for it as long as Sign language is also learnt too.

For parents who can't or won't become fluent with sign, what's wrong with teaching signing at a basic level which isn't too difficult then sending the child to local deaf club to become more fluent at it.

Has anyone else ever heard about the system called Tactilating? The person feels the throat while lipreading.

ClearSky-Awesome site, THX!

loml-He's cute, but he doesn't sleep. He doesn't cry, either. He just likes looking around his environment.

And thanks everyone else. This site helps me feel better about everything. I appreciate everyone's input. =)

I would be very interested if you could expand on that. I have a character I am writing about who uses Tandoma. I'm curious at how successful it can be. Particuluarly when combined with a small amount of useful hearing.

loml- I believe everyday I learn something new and meet new people thus gain new experiences.

HearAgain described pretty much everything I am using and learning how to use as well. At first I was overwhelmed to do both Tadoma and tactile but found out it was very helpful. With Tadoma, you do have to make sure you are not violating anyone's personal space & ask if you can do Tadoma.

You can't just put your hand on their face otherwise you are pretty much asking for a reflex hit or strike.

shel90- Surprisingly Tadoma is much easier to do than lipreading. It's about putting words together by reading lips and feeling vibrations. If I could have learned Tadoma much earlier, I would have done so.

dreama- Tactilating is Tadoma. You have a choice of feeling the throat or putting your finger on the lips. I feel the throat as the vibrations are more stronger.

I use Tadoma now because I must admit I am seriously considering going into a CI right now.

Back