Css

LinuxGold

Reaction score
Have anyone used CSS, and created own css file in .css extension? I would like to get as much info as I can on how useful CSS can be?

Thanks in advance.

:dunno: ....better wait until someone with better knowledge in computer shit comes along. They will be of better help than computer illerate me! ;)

You are being cute. I am currently developing the corporate KnowledgeCenter web site. I am thinking about using css to provide more info in a single page. My goal is to put out as much info as possible for employees when they come in to start the day, with web page in hall wall.

I am a bit familiar with CSS... cascading style scripting. In your original HTML file, you would add a code that refers to a CSS file that you will also make. If you refer all of your HTML files to that CSS file, you can modify a lot of the designs on many webpages just by simply modifying the CSS file. I use CSS sometimes when making multiple pages.

Cool... :thumb: Hopefully, soon I'll be computer literate so I can do more stuff with the graphics and the sorts. ;)

Yep....CSS makes it all easier for you.

For example...if you run a site with over 50 pages...and you wanted to change the colors around.....you would have to edit each page one at a time to change the colors.

With CSS...you just change it all in one file. Simple.

True, css do save you a lot of time from editing massive html documents using single css file. My point is, have you used them before? If so, is that web site still up and running so that I can acquire creative ideas to work on the corporate environment.

For example:
http://www.csszengarden.com/ -- very powerful source to learn how powerful css can help in design using a single html file.
(One html file using many css files)

VamPyroX said:
I am a bit familiar with CSS... cascading style scripting. In your original HTML file, you would add a code that refers to a CSS file that you will also make. If you refer all of your HTML files to that CSS file, you can modify a lot of the designs on many webpages just by simply modifying the CSS file. I use CSS sometimes when making multiple pages.
Is that site still up and running somewhere?

LinuxGold said:
Have anyone used CSS, and created own css file in .css extension? I would like to get as much info as I can on how useful CSS can be?

I've done it... I'm just starting out. (If you want to see the results of my initial attempt, look at http://www.agnorum.com/)

CSS is VERY useful, because it separates the logical structure of the document (which is all HTML started out to define) from its layout (i.e. how it looks). Because it's separate, as people have pointed out, you can control the layout of a whole site and be sure that it's consistent by just editing the one file with the style sheet info. The other advantage is that you avoid the sleazy kludges that people have used in the past to finagle web page layout--those kludges make web pages larger and more tedious to retrieve and to display.

Now, if you want to learn about it, check out some of the online tutorials, like http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp. They let you edit a web page and see how the changes affect the display right away.

There are a lot of books on CSS; right now I'm grinding through Cascading Style Sheets: the definitive guide by Eric A. Meyer (published by O'Reilly). It's a few years old, but OTOH browsers are just now catching up with the standard... mostly. (Internet Explorer has some notorious bugs in its implementation of CSS, and it's not clear that MS has any motivation to fix them.)

Yes, CSS is a very good tool to know. All you have to do is make sure that everything is labeled right and CSS does the rest. I use CSS for most of my webpages and it has really come in handy for me.

LinuxGold said:

What did you want to know about CSS ?? :confused:

MrGTI said:
What did you want to know about CSS ?? :confused:

css that allow to change on the button change into blue or something. Also, you could change the background picture still without move up/down side. change text size in selection area, etc. Anything. I have been create with CSS - for example... www.paradoxinportland.com

What you're talking about isn't really CSS. It's called DHTML (the D is for dynamic). You should be looking at using JavaScript and to do those things.

For a DHTML intro, go here - http://www.dansteinman.com/dynduo/

That will get you into DHTML. Understanding CSS is simple because all you do is place the styles in the CSS file, and then just reference the CSS file on every page.

MrGTI said:
What you're talking about isn't really CSS. It's called DHTML (the D is for dynamic). You should be looking at using JavaScript and to do those things.

That will get you into DHTML. Understanding CSS is simple because all you do is place the styles in the CSS file, and then just reference the CSS file on every page.

I see css in view source that been attach with css itself own file. Are you blind?

MrGTI said:

Don't forget... some of us may not be completely familiar with DHTML but are familiar with CSS. I'm more familiar with CSS than with DHTML. CSS is more of an appearance modification. DHTML is more of a layout modification. If Alex were to provide some of us with a CSS file and link the website to that CSS file. If that CSS file was not found in a specific directory in the computer, it would automatically refer to the default CSS file found online. For those with experience, the CSS file could be modified and certain images, colors, fonts, sizes, etc... could be changed.

The term DHTML generally refers to everything from the most complex actions to simple mouseovers. Since he asked about doing mouseovers and swapping images, this is a good place to start.

The "standard" use for CSS files is to place the colors, fonts, sizes, and other related styles in a CSS file, and then reference that file on all other HTML pages.

The advanced, and not very often used ability of CSS files is to create the HTML page on the fly. It's not widely done like that because of the lengthed development time.

Both methods are fine, and neither are wrong. It's a personal choice.

Back