create captioned DVD or VIdeo

yunakokimama

Reaction score
Hi. I bourght DVD that presents Nuskiin and Pharmanex business. but no caption, so I want to put caption on DVD. I contact captionMAX company, but he said it is impossible to add caption to DVD that is already created. so I want to make video with captioned. I want to show DVD or video to many deaf people, because it is very good. DO you know where I get caption with CHEAPEST PRICE? I need caption as soon as possible!!!

DVDs are like CDs... once burned, can't be burned again. The best they could do is add captions to a DVD after burning it to another DVD and merging captions to it.

For you, it sounds like a marketing DVD and those are usually not captioned.

That's true, but there is another way, you could re-encode it to a different format and add the subtitles and try and encode it to DVD. I know it's possible, but without paying for a program that makes menus, you'll only have the DVD content with subtitles and no menu.

Pay someone to listen to the video and type it with keyboard. Pay them money per hour lol.

Of course, the problem will be that you will have to read it like a PlayWright book, but oh well...I don't know other ways...sorry.

You try burning captionless DVD flicks with captions and they may come at you for copyright violation and you can bite them back for Violating Title III of the ADA and tell them to leave you alone or you sue them for ADA Title III violation.

I had VHS subtitle editor and used that to make captioned VHS movies 10 yrs ago with my ex-roommate who is interpreter. Made free copies of movies for deaf friends. Never had problem with copyright.

I noticed some DVD has both subtitle and CC and they both show at same time. Pretty annoying isnt it?

Richard Roehm

It normally costs quite a bit of money to "caption" a video. Richard's friend probably did it pro bono for experience and goodwill, but professional agencies will demand quite a bit of money for their services.

To caption a DVD, one would have to be able to edit the DVD on a DVD program, insert the captions in that format, and then create a new DVD. Again, that costs money. CaptionMAX should be able to give you a quote on that, but again, it's not like it's $15 -- more like $1500.

What you really should do is contact the company that produces those DVDs and complain that they're not Title III compliant.

Nesmuth said:
You try burning captionless DVD flicks with captions and they may come at you for copyright violation and you can bite them back for Violating Title III of the ADA and tell them to leave you alone or you sue them for ADA Title III violation.

If you choose to make a DVD with captions, only do it for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. I would NOT recommend you "give away copies" of the DVD to friends who do not own the DVD already. That will attract the attention of the Motion Pictures Association of America (MPAA). The MPAA is seriously cracking down on any copyright violations and won't care one bit if you tried to countersue about Title III violations. Good luck taking them on.

Nesmuth said:
I had VHS subtitle editor and used that to make captioned VHS movies 10 yrs ago with my ex-roommate who is interpreter. Made free copies of movies for deaf friends. Never had problem with copyright.

He's lucky. Had he continued to do that today, he might be screwed. The trend in MPAA / RIAA lobbying is to make that kind of copyright violation a criminal offense and that means jail time up the wazoo, instead of the current system where it's just a civil offense and you'll probably get fined, if that.

I noticed some DVD has both subtitle and CC and they both show at same time. Pretty annoying isnt it?

Yeah, but you have to turn off one of them! Didn't you know that? You have to try and see which one is best Subtitles or CC. Sometimes CC show music lyrics while Subtitles don't.

I don't know how to burn DVD.

But I took iMovie classes, and the Mac Computer Machine can put subtitled
on film.

I don't know if you can put any movie DVD in the computer, and import it...
and then you can subtitled it by using iMovie....

All I know is, when I was using iMovie with Subtitled, I had to
type the word and then push apply.

:fingersx:

Back