Cramps in your legs (calf)

Mizzou

Reaction score
I just had two times cramps in my calf in the morning during I was sleeping. How do you keep them less cramps? What you do with the cramps in your legs?

I had to hold it and move little then it gone................

Oohh, I get the same cramps. It is awful, huh? I usually make fists and beat hard on my calf until it goes away. That is what works for me. I do wish I knew how to prevent it. I had it happen again last week, twice on the same leg, same day. My calf was sore for the rest of the day (maybe because I beat it so hard, ha, ha). Sometimes hard massage works, but when it is really bad I have to pound on it.

I found this link that might be useful:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=270&topcategory=Sports

Last edited:
Having to wake up suddenly and clutching your leg...barely moving about, each time moving your leg increasing the intensity of the cramp in the leg is sure no fun way to wake up!! Especially if you get cramps in both legs at the same time...yikes!! I've found that once the cramps subsides...stretching the leg muscles by arching the foot upwards (in a standing position) does help...and even using such remedies such as Ben Gay or other products that work well on muscles/cramps also will help....

If you are constantly being active and you feel some tightness in the calves, thighs, etc...stretching the muscles will lessen your chances of having to wake up screaming and clutching your leg(s) in the middle of the night!

If you're talking about a charlie horse, where your calf muscle feels like just a ball of muscle, I think you're supposed to drink more water. Also stretch your calf a couple times a day, if not once at least. But what you DONT want to do, is when you're having a, lets call it an attack, you dont want to curl up your leg so it is close to you. Bear with the pain and stick your leg out so it doesnt bunch up more. It'll hurt but I think its the best thing, you're not as sore afterwards and it is easier to wake up in the morning. I used to experience them a lot, till I stretched more and drank more water. Im sure there's a less generic way to help them but this has helped me! Havent had one in a long time. :)

Sorry that you've had it twice in one day, that must suck. :grouphug:

ouch Mizz Deaf i know how it is when yr in pain gawd there was a time when my leg just gave out and i couldn't move it for a good 3 hrs gawd Fly Free can attest to that gawd thats no fun she ended up calling my mom explaining wtf happen sending my dad home and then they had to put heating pad on the muscles to loosen it up then i ended up dragging my leg to a sitting postion so i can be able to see if theres any sorts of swelling there was none BUT at least now it has since stopped. So i figued it was part of a growth spurt with my muscles blah!

Those are called "Charlie Horses". It's when your calf cramps up and it's painful if you don't do anything right away. There is a method to stop it. As soon as you get it, straighten your leg and put your foot in the upright (perpendicular) position. What I mean is, pretend to be standing up straight. If you can't do it while laying down, get up and try it then. When you don't move your leg for a long time, it sometimes cramps up. It's because your leg's bent and your foot is too relaxed. When you move, the whole thing tenses up and that's what gives you the cramp. Straightening everything out will stretch the muscles before it cramps up more. That's what stops the pain. The sooner you do this, the less likely your cramp will become a "sprain". If you don't and it gets worse, then you'll have a hard time walking later.

I work hard outdoors, and I notice that if I do not drink plenty of water, my muscles cramp up. If I put in a long day and head straight to bed without drinking enough water to float a dinghy, I regret it at some point that night.

VamPyroX said:
Those are called "Charlie Horses". It's when your calf cramps up and it's painful if you don't do anything right away. There is a method to stop it. As soon as you get it, straighten your leg and put your foot in the upright (perpendicular) position. What I mean is, pretend to be standing up straight. If you can't do it while laying down, get up and try it then. When you don't move your leg for a long time, it sometimes cramps up. It's because your leg's bent and your foot is too relaxed. When you move, the whole thing tenses up and that's what gives you the cramp. Straightening everything out will stretch the muscles before it cramps up more. That's what stops the pain. The sooner you do this, the less likely your cramp will become a "sprain". If you don't and it gets worse, then you'll have a hard time walking later.

I just said that. :mad: more or less. :D

yea this morning, my right leg got cramp so i moved my feet up and it stopped cramp.. it helped..

I remember having that happen a few times when I was younger -- haven't had a Charley's Horse cramp in years. *knocking on wood* Yes, they're damn bloody PAINFUL! Geez whiz! :roll:

Like others have suggested -- drink more water and then that won't occur again. :D

Beowulf said:
I work hard outdoors, and I notice that if I do not drink plenty of water, my muscles cramp up. If I put in a long day and head straight to bed without drinking enough water to float a dinghy, I regret it at some point that night.
I think you are right. Last week the temperature was in the 90's, high humidity, with a heat index of 105 (in the shade), and I was working outdoors for many hours, sometimes in the sun. I do drink a lot of water and lemonade but it still was not enough. I think I dehydrated, and I was doing a lot of walking, lifting, and bending. That was the time I had the calf cramps.

mmm you seems know about that. I have it rarely if you were wondering. :)

I do get cramps in my legs, feet and TOES!!! :ugh: since almost more than 4 months due to pregnant...

Dr instructed me to take calicum vitmans or vitmans which have calicum in it.. in the late afternoon, it worked!.. and also, he said drink more milk for few days or ice cream..

but now i am getting more cramps than before cuz nearly due to date.. :D

Had this problem too. Positioning maybe, but most likely training.

1. you will cramp if you are not fit enough or overtrained
2. you may need a massage to loosen up the muscle tissue
3. stretching is a must, 20 minutes of stretching before a race needed plus warm up
4. dietary calcium - if you are not eating enough DARK greens, try supplementing with Magnesium /Calcium vitamin.
5. Stay hidrated

That should do it.

I think I might have been a bit dehydrated as I'm reasonably fit. I have started taking some multi-vitamins and drinking Gatorade regularly and had no problems walking alot today.

I also noticed a slight difference in the positioning of the clip on my left shoe compared with the right. This may have contributed to the initial cramp in the left calf.

That's very normal all everyones have leg cramps(calf) of course.. There's no cure.. As long you can rubbing your leg and to let muscle release. Unless don't move your leg or feet and to attempt try move.. will come more increase pain.. Until when your muscle release calmer... and to give a try little move. I do sometimes usually and get leg cramp due not wear wrapping up the blanket properly during in the summer.. I loves sleep without blanket because too hot.. I didn't realized that some of air has little cooling.. affect my leg turns into cramp.. (groan).. I'm kinda learn my lesson.. Best let be wrapping up blanket covers my legs and whole body.. where can keep warm. *Don't bring thicker blanket* as normal thin blanket will be no problem.
(chuckles)

Sabrina.. Depends everyones who eating not that reason of proprite eat "Magnesium/Calcim vitamin" None of that true.. Depeneds who is fine or not fine..... just happends and having bad leg cramps too.

Sabrina.. Depends everyones who eating not that reason of proprite eat "Magnesium/Calcim vitamin" None of that true.. Depeneds who is fine or not fine..... just happends and having bad leg cramps too.

I did not like to eat the banana. I usually drink V8 Juice (tomato) and poatoto skin are alot to build up the Potassium. The potassium is an essential mineral for heart function and normal blood pressure, so eating plenty of this grin-shaped fruit could help prevent heart attack, stroke, and heart arrhythmias, giving you something to really smile about. Plus, potassium helps your body maintain normal fluid and electrolyte balances in the cells.

My husband has to take Potassium pills cuz he cannot eat bananas and cannot drink Orange juice..If he dont have potassium in his system, he get
severe hand and feet spasms! i have seen his hands get all twisted up, it scared me to death!..I eat plenty of fruit so i dont have leg cramps anymore.
I did have bad leg cramps when i was 9 months pregnant..it was awful...dr.
told me to eat lots of bananas and other stuff that has potassium in them so i did..worked too.

Back