countdown to CI surgery!

Congratulations! Now comes the hard part :) You sound like you are having a great first day. Are you walking around to see what kind of things make noise yet?

and!

How about that blinker in the car? :)

Congratulations! Now comes the hard part :) You sound like you are having a great first day. Are you walking around to see what kind of things make noise yet?

and!

I know it is annoying, perhaps?

and!

Lol yeah it took me few sec to recognize that I heard car blinker, sound strange lol.
Yep good first day I recognize little bit of speech right away and guy voice sound so much better sound like actual voice not monotone paper rustling sound lol but female voice some word sound so high pitched sound like feedback ouch lol I'll get used to it. I tried going in fast food restaurant, blah sound were so overwhelmed with speakers, food cooking, people talking yike lol

I forgot to add, it snowed first thing I came out of my activation appt! Talking about irony! (For those who doesn't know, I got snow first thing I came out of OR room lol) isn't that so cool?! Lol
Can't wait for bed time to take off and rest from sounds lol

Also what do you about pain from ear hook on your ear? It get uncomfortable and sore after wearing it all day

Lol yeah it took me few sec to recognize that I heard car blinker, sound strange lol.
Yep good first day I recognize little bit of speech right away and guy voice sound so much better sound like actual voice not monotone paper rustling sound lol but female voice some word sound so high pitched sound like feedback ouch lol I'll get used to it. I tried going in fast food restaurant, blah sound were so overwhelmed with speakers, food cooking, people talking yike lol

I forgot to add, it snowed first thing I came out of my activation appt! Talking about irony! (For those who doesn't know, I got snow first thing I came out of OR room lol) isn't that so cool?! Lol
Can't wait for bed time to take off and rest from sounds lol

Also what do you about pain from ear hook on your ear? It get uncomfortable and sore after wearing it all day

I am so happy for you. If you find the answer about the earhook let me know. Mine still hurts 6 months later. I just try to put a bandage on it. At night but cream on it. Mine is very red and sore still.

Let me ask you, does the sound hurt? Have you heard comments on your speech? The reason is this was the first comments I had, no the sound was not painful at all and my voice changed quickly.

You will get used to it. If it gets too uncomfortable you can put a piece of mole skin on the processor to ease up any irritation.

Yay!!!!! You got activated!

As for the pain for the ear hook. Yes, it did get uncomfortable for a couple days because your ears were moved from surgery, still slightly sore (speaking from my experience). If you feel that it's really irritating your scar, put it like I did....see it on the blog, with your SnugFit. I did that for two days, then my ears got used to the weight of it, as well with the earhook. Took me about 2 1/2 weeks to really feel comfortable, and not falling off!

Wish you best of luck! Enjoy the sounds!

I am so happy for you. If you find the answer about the earhook let me know. Mine still hurts 6 months later. I just try to put a bandage on it. At night but cream on it. Mine is very red and sore still.

On the freedom implant there is a choice of a few earhook sizes and the earhooks once removed can be reformed in hot water to take a slightly different shape permanently. All of this is mention in the manual to a certain degree of customizing. Since I have worn hearing aids all my life I usually never get any earhook pain. The issue I had with the implant that it is on the right ear which had surgery when I was a kid in order to hold a hearing aid. That right outer ear is a bit weaker than my left outer ear and I have to use a skeleton ear mold to help hold the implant in place. Since my cochlea was tiny I had a lot of ringing in the implanted ear for two and half months because of the trauma. I was very lucky that my tiny cochlea was able to recover to a degree that I never would thought possible and in certain situations I can understand a bit better than the average 20 year old in understanding what being said without lipreading. In other words it is possible to hear a bit beyond with the average 20 year old with the current technology. Of course my biggest limitation is to be able to locate the source of sound and I do not think it is going to be as good as compared to a hearing person, like I said before not a big deal for me.

On the freedom implant there is a choice of a few earhook sizes and the earhooks once removed can be reformed in hot water to take a slightly different shape permanently. All of this is mention in the manual to a certain degree of customizing.
Very interesting! I should try to do that. My earhook does not bother me that bad, but I feel like its deviated away from my ear. I'm used to twisting my earhook towards my ear from my HA...I should try that! Good thing Cochlear America gave me a package of 6! :) Plus, maybe it ought to be a good idea for me to read the manual. LOL.

That's a good start for your first day! Glad you made it through your activation :)

On the freedom implant there is a choice of a few earhook sizes and the earhooks once removed can be reformed in hot water to take a slightly different shape permanently. All of this is mention in the manual to a certain degree of customizing. Since I have worn hearing aids all my life I usually never get any earhook pain. The issue I had with the implant that it is on the right ear which had surgery when I was a kid in order to hold a hearing aid. That right outer ear is a bit weaker than my left outer ear and I have to use a skeleton ear mold to help hold the implant in place. Since my cochlea was tiny I had a lot of ringing in the implanted ear for two and half months because of the trauma. I was very lucky that my tiny cochlea was able to recover to a degree that I never would thought possible and in certain situations I can understand a bit better than the average 20 year old in understanding what being said without lipreading. In other words it is possible to hear a bit beyond with the average 20 year old with the current technology. Of course my biggest limitation is to be able to locate the source of sound and I do not think it is going to be as good as compared to a hearing person, like I said before not a big deal for me.

The Advanced Bionics is different. I can change to the ear hook that is not the t-mic, but sound is so much better with the t-mic over the standard mic.

I could believe I have ear hook pain either. I have been wearing hearing aids for 27 years. I have cuts on both sides. I wrap them in a banadage. It helps.

Very interesting! I should try to do that. My earhook does not bother me that bad, but I feel like its deviated away from my ear. I'm used to twisting my earhook towards my ear from my HA...I should try that! Good thing Cochlear America gave me a package of 6! :) Plus, maybe it ought to be a good idea for me to read the manual. LOL.

I changed my ear hook to longer one I think its for child but it fit much more comfortably so you should try change it to longer earhook

I am using the long one. It's just I am used to having the ear hook faced towards my face than away. That's why I thought that would be perfect to try to mold it in hot water.

I wonder if any of you get slight tiny ache in cochlea or get really tired from hearing cuz everything are so loud?
I didn't feel ache yesterday till late in night it get little uncomfortable so I took off around 10 pm in night and today its tiny bit uncomfortable starting in early afternoon, will it go away?

yes it will. :) The first 3 or so days it was just "LOUD", because I'm picking up a LOT of sounds that I didn't hear before. Hearing people grew up putting those sounds in the "background", so they don't bother hearing it.

Right now, there's pouring rain outside...I can hear THAT and the TV...a hearing person would tune out the rain. After a couple days, it got better and better.

what was your dynamic range? My started off at 18, then I increase it every 5 days, it's now 22. It will go up to the 40's as I go along.

I stay home all day, so I'm not really exposed to a lot of noise outside of my apartment except for my classes.

I posted my audiogram on my blog. It shows what progress I made in the first 3 months. Amy this is what I sent to you, but now it is easier to read. Remember I am bilateral.

Interesting thread, had to read it all thru to see what I am in for. After nearly two years on waiting list I got my long awaited letter today. My pre op apt is next Monday 18th then implant is 10th March, with activation about 3 weeks after that.............cant wait.

How have others found the sound of their own voices? I guess it would be a bit of a shock.

Interesting thread, had to read it all thru to see what I am in for. After nearly two years on waiting list I got my long awaited letter today. My pre op apt is next Monday 18th then implant is 10th March, with activation about 3 weeks after that.............cant wait.

How have others found the sound of their own voices? I guess it would be a bit of a shock.

It is a shock big shock! I hate the sound of my voice. I found it causes you to slow down and work on pronounciations. Because of a lifetime of hearing loss, I had to relearn how to speak and say words. Those darn S, Th, sh, got me. I had to get the speech teacher at my school to give me a lesson in th.

Congratulation on CI surgery. We look forward to hearing all about it. Give yourself time to heal and get better after surgery, everyone is different in recovery.

It is a shock big shock! I hate the sound of my voice. I found it causes you to slow down and work on pronounciations. Because of a lifetime of hearing loss, I had to relearn how to speak and say words. Those darn S, Th, sh, got me. I had to get the speech teacher at my school to give me a lesson in th.

Congratulation on CI surgery. We look forward to hearing all about it. Give yourself time to heal and get better after surgery, everyone is different in recovery.

Thanks Vallee. Tho my speach and pronounciation of most words is very good there are a few things I obviously get wrong. S, Th, sh seem to come out ok but when I told my b/f about surgery yesterday he says. "oh well now you will be able to pronounce your words right" I'm like...ok which ones do I stuff up. It seems I have been saying pizza wrong all these years and no one thought to sound it out for me, not sure how you guys say it but down under it is more like "pitza".......not my version of "peezza" well how was I to know there was an invisible t in it.....lol

Thanks Vallee. Tho my speach and pronounciation of most words is very good there are a few things I obviously get wrong. S, Th, sh seem to come out ok but when I told my b/f about surgery yesterday he says. "oh well now you will be able to pronounce your words right" I'm like...ok which ones do I stuff up. It seems I have been saying pizza wrong all these years and no one thought to sound it out for me, not sure how you guys say it but down under it is more like "pitza".......not my version of "peezza" well how was I to know there was an invisible t in it.....lol

I heard the same thing. Most people understand that it is because of the hearing loss. That is a sign of them accepting us. Look at it positivily. I posted my audiogram on my blog. It shows my comprehension of speech as well. You have to click the audiogram to see it in bigger print. Big no huge change.

Oh congratulation raykat for getting surgery date finally, wow 2 years? That's really long wait!
Are you excited?

Back