Could someone clarify the signs for "ask"

rain

Reaction score
as shown here:
ask

I'm having trouble distinguishing between which version of ask to use (that is with the hands in sort of a prayer position, and the one using the finger).

For instance, if I wanted to say: "Can I ask you a question? - which version which I use, I almost feel like both are applicable but I know that's right. Or how about "He wanted me to ask you..."?

I'm just :confused:

in both sentences it would be the index finger directly forward from chest to the person.

If you're in a conversation telling the person you asked someone else a question, it would be to the side.

The praying thing is more of "request". I dont see that sign for "ask" much these days.

The first sign (the prayer type one) is for REQUEST - typically I only would use this for a formal situation, or for emphasis ... examples may be:

"I went to the ticket office to REQUEST an extra ticket to the nearly sold out show"
"I REQUESTed the use the new car for the night"

The other "ASK" is used when asking a specifically named/identified person (and if more informal)

"I called my boyfriend last night and "ASKed-(him~ ie my boyfriend)" if he wanted to go to the zoo"

"Does the bookstore have any copies left of the new book ??. ... I don't know I'll have to call and ASK-(them~ ie the bookstore worker)

Basically - the ASK-to version is used when it's directed at a specific person etc as if you are forming a "question mark" to them.... the REQUEST sign is more formal, less common (at least where I live) except for if you are intentionally (& serious) making a more formal "request for something". REQUEST is almost like saying "I'll ask and pray it works out the way I want" ...

Hope that helps - it's kind of difficult to explain! Maybe someone else can think of a clearer way to make it make sense

as shown here:
ask

I'm having trouble distinguishing between which version of ask to use (that is with the hands in sort of a prayer position, and the one using the finger).

For instance, if I wanted to say: "Can I ask you a question? - which version which I use, I almost feel like both are applicable but I know that's right. Or how about "He wanted me to ask you..."?

I'm just :confused:
The REQUEST ("prayer") sign is used when the signer desires an action, object, or permission from the other person.

REQUEST:
permission to do something
help, services, or support for someone
objects, money, a favor

I requested permission to attend the meeting.

I requested a loan from the bank.

I requested financial aid at the college.

I requested an interpreter for my doctor's appointment.

I requested tutorial services at school.

I requested a meeting with the lawyer.

The QUESTION ("question mark') sign is used mostly to acquire information. It's usually signed directionally. Also, if the context, facial grammar, etc., are clear enough, then using the "?" at the end isn't even necessary.

QUESTION:

"Wh-" words: who, what, when, where, why, how, how many, how much

YES-NO questions

What time is the meeting?
Who will be there?
Where will be meet?
How long will the meeting last?
How much will the tickets cost?
How many people will attend?
Do we need to take notes?

Are you going to the meeting?
Is the meeting mandatory?