Cornell accepted me

Thank you guys again.

Does anyone think Fraternity means for men only, as is traditional? I ask because I found this, close to the Veterinary Medicine building:

Fraternities
In addition to the various housing options listed above, there is one veterinary fraternity at the College of Veterinary Medicine that some DVM students call home. Omega Tau Sigma (OTS)
The Omega Tau Sigma veterinary fraternity house is located at 200 Willard Way, Ithaca. Each year it becomes home to about 12 OTS members from all four classes. Small rooms (single occupancy) are $775 per semester and large rooms (also single occupancy) are $1075 per semester. Most rooms come with some furnishings (usually a bed, always a desk). Residents share a large living room (with cable TV) kitchen and basement. Pets are welcome at OTS where they enjoy a large fenced-in back yard.

yes fraternity is for men and sorority is for women.

fraternity/sorority = you don't apply for it. you get invited to it.

yes fraternity is for men and sorority is for women.

fraternity/sorority = you don't apply for it. you get invited to it.

Since the Handbook didn't mention a sorority, I was hoping fraternity was just being used a general co-ed. Sucks that there's no sorority where dogs are allowed. Anyway, it's too late for me to even begin the process of seeking an invitation. Back to the drawing board.

Since the Handbook didn't mention a sorority, I was hoping fraternity was just being used a general co-ed. Sucks that there's no sorority where dogs are allowed. Anyway, it's too late for me to even begin the process of seeking an invitation. Back to the drawing board.

fraternity dorm is only available for fraternity member. there are plenty of off-campus apt/houses.

have you checked this out? http://www.cornell.edu/studentlife/liveandeat.cfm

Trust me, being the pretty girl you are, you will get plenty of invitations from all the fraternities......and I am sure they will let you bring your dog.

Thank you guys again.

Does anyone think Fraternity means for men only, as is traditional? I ask because I found this, close to the Veterinary Medicine building:

Fraternities
In addition to the various housing options listed above, there is one veterinary fraternity at the College of Veterinary Medicine that some DVM students call home. Omega Tau Sigma (OTS)
The Omega Tau Sigma veterinary fraternity house is located at 200 Willard Way, Ithaca. Each year it becomes home to about 12 OTS members from all four classes. Small rooms (single occupancy) are $775 per semester and large rooms (also single occupancy) are $1075 per semester. Most rooms come with some furnishings (usually a bed, always a desk). Residents share a large living room (with cable TV) kitchen and basement. Pets are welcome at OTS where they enjoy a large fenced-in back yard.
Like Jiro posted, traditionally, fraternities (brotherhood) are for men and sororities (sisterhood) are for women. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact the DVM fraternity to see if they have any suggestions or networks you can use. They might know of other female students with the same situation, and they can put you in touch with them.

Congratulations Mimsy! That will be very exciting for you! 3 weeks notice for early admission though? I feel bad for the people who aren't granted early admission. They must only get a day or two notice!

Good luck finding a place to live with your dog. Your best bet at this point might be a studio with you and your little one.

Like Jiro posted, traditionally, fraternities (brotherhood) are for men and sororities (sisterhood) are for women. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact the DVM fraternity to see if they have any suggestions or networks you can use. They might know of other female students with the same situation, and they can put you in touch with them.

that's a great suggestion! :thumb:

Hope you don't get too far with college stuff you know, like in movies or on typical unusual internet websites and videos........

nah, there are plenty of stores, authentic restaurants, thrift stores, and go on, but not a major huge one but plenty well suffiencent for necessary. I certainly enjoyed visiting the cornell and did run for 10 k there. The campus is so beautiful!

CONGRATULATIONS! I know vet school is incredibly difficult to get into. If you contact the school, I bet they would be able to tell you about the good places of town to live in. Check on craigs list for other students looking for roommates or place your own ad. Sometimes schools will even host their own website where students can network to find housing. I'm sure the school will have some good suggestions for you and be able to ease your mind some.

Do you find your dog to be a valuable asset in controlling your anxiety? If so you can get your dog certified as a service dog and then you can live anywhere and they must accept the dog too. I have read several stories locally where local military personnel with PTSD etc have now got Service dogs...

hello hello hello all! :wave:

Mimsy has asked me to speak to ya'all on her behalf because she's completely overwhelmed about this whole thing. As you all already know - she needs Luca (her dog) with her as a coping mechanism for her anxiety disorder and also she was traveling in Italy. and she's currently in school now which is almost over. So this is all too overwhelming and exhausting for her now. She's taking a short time-out to get into zen mode.

There's a possibility that she may not go to Cornell but I'm encouraging her to just hold onto it and think about it again after situation is all calm and quiet. So for now - let us all give her some space and time and she'll be back to let us know what's up.

Good luck Mimsy! Whatever you decide, we've got your back! :cool2:

Mimsy has asked me to speak to ya'all on her behalf because she's completely overwhelmed about this whole thing. As you all already know - she needs Luca (her dog) with her as a coping mechanism for her anxiety disorder and also she was traveling in Italy. and she's currently in school now which is almost over. So this is all too overwhelming and exhausting for her now. She's taking a short time-out to get into zen mode.

There's a possibility that she may not go to Cornell but I'm encouraging her to just hold onto it and think about it again after situation is all calm and quiet. So for now - let us all give her some space and time and she'll be back to let us know what's up.

Yes, I understand this life transition can be very stressful.

Please encourage her that apparently Cornell has faith in her abilities, so that's a good thing. :)

Also, in having dealt with colleges for myself and other family members, and professionally, I can attest to the fact that often getting started in college is the most stressful part of that journey. After the first week, it's like a huge sigh of relief. If she can make it thru the administrative process, getting settled into a place to stay, and the first week of classes, she will find that things get a lot more manageable. The worst parts, beginnings and finals, are all temporary situations.

Starting a new phase of life is always a challenge. When I was in boot camp, I cried myself to sleep almost every night. I thought, oh, no, my next four years will be like this! However, they weren't. After boot camp, I was still a junior person but I was considered a shipmate with equal standing. There were some bumps in the road but for the most part, nothing at all like boot camp again.

If Cornell's DVM program offers senior students as mentors (buddies), I hope that she can take advantage of that. People who have prior experience can be great resources and support.

Of course, there are many sympathetic hearts here at AD, too. :)

For Mimsy :hug:

Maybe she can take a year and start the program in 2013, after she's had time to make arrangements and plan. Cornell's early acceptance program usually admits at the end of soph. year in college, and requires admittees to spend their junior year focused on a project or research to develop experience in a relevant area anyway before starting at Cornell in what would have been senior year. So seems they wouldn't be adverse to her doing that esp. since they should have given her a full year of warning/prep. in the first place, rather than a few weeks.

Good luck!

i mean Mimsy...and yah friskyy did a 10 k run there?
what about is Cornel is that? i have no idea but all i know its one of the few 'ellite universities in USA'

i mean Mimsy...and yah friskyy did a 10 k run there?
what about is Cornel is that? i have no idea but all i know its one of the few 'ellite universities in USA'

I already know about Brown. Why do you called them all ivy league are elite university? But cannot you called Duke or University of Chicago elite?

My parents just called a little while ago to tell me that I have been granted early admission to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Classes begin in three weeks. I have to get back to NY and decide what to do. I can't live in campus housing with Luca and I can't leave him behind. Cornell is 250 miles away, upstate NY. I don't have much time to manage all this. It's happening so fast. Excited, happy, worried, scared. I don't handle big changes well. Anxiety. I'm holding on until I get back to NY so my parents and brothers can help snap me out of my fears. I will make it. I'll be ok. Vacation over. Serious schooling begins. Talking to myself.

Congratulation on your acceptance to Cornell University. :D

I have bad anxiety issue too and had panic attack about few times in week. :(

Back