Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
Is it forbid to collect Nazi things as history? I see nothing wrong if they collect Nazi things from their father or Grandfather... It doesn't mean that they are bad when they consider it as history and pass this things to their children and want them aware about Nazi's history. My hubby do have some Nazi things from his step-Grandfather - it doesn't mean that my hubby is a bad person.

There're some bad people who buy Nazi things and be Nazi pride because they are against foriegn immagrates...

Illegal mean is disobey the law... If I ignore the law for wave Nazi flag to the public which mean I disobey the law. It's illegal.

For Nazi surivors yes, they want to forget Nazi history and move on... yes, they accept the fact that Nazi belongs history, everyone want to...

Banned mean is NO Nazi forbidden in Germany... no Nazi in house... no Nazi collecting... or NO Nazi muesums in Germany...
We can say:

"I see nothing wrong if they collect Confederate things from their father or Grandfather... It doesn't mean that they are bad when they consider it as history and pass this things to their children and want them aware about Confederate history. My hubby do have some Confederate things from his step-Grandfather - it doesn't mean that my hubby is a bad person.

There're some bad people who buy Confederate things and be Confederate pride because they are against foriegn immagrates..."

Great American History Great American History -

I have lived in both the North and the South, and therefore learned both Northern and Southern versions of the Civil War history...both are swayed against the other (see the link above).
If a person decides to sport a Confederate flag they should be aware that some people may mis-judge them accordingly.

My question is what exactly are the Southerner that sport this flag 'proud' of? Is it the heat? :P

We can say:

"I see nothing wrong if they collect Confederate things from their father or Grandfather... It doesn't mean that they are bad when they consider it as history and pass this things to their children and want them aware about Confederate history. My hubby do have some Confederate things from his step-Grandfather - it doesn't mean that my hubby is a bad person.

There're some bad people who buy Confederate things and be Confederate pride because they are against foriegn immagrates..."

There´re no comparison because Nazi things are not allow to the public but Confederate things are allow to the public... This is a difference.

I see no problem if they want to collect Nazi and confererate things as history, not wave the flags to the public. IMO.

Ok, and what's yours?

My opinion is: A symbol of racist when they want to use confederate things to the public. I find those debate interesting because they consider confederate flags as a history like what Pacman explained in his last post. To me I feel that conferderate flag to the public is a symbol of racist to disrespect black slaves because Abraham Lincoln want to free black slaves, that´s why civil war started to fight for freedom of black slaves.. I know it´s not just black slaves is the reason....

Slavery During the Civil War

I guess I'm not that hardcore into symbolism...

It's a flag. An object. A thing.
Flags don't jump off of poles and enslave people, or put a gun to your head if you have a different opinion.

So therefore it is how one views it that makes it bad.
Maybe it's a problem with PEOPLE. A flag is just specifically arranged colors.

I guess I'm not that hardcore into symbolism...

Flags don't jump off of poles and enslave people, or put a gun to your head if you have a different opinion.

but flag represents something that people believe in. Nazi Flag represents Aryan Race. Red Cross symbol represents humanitarian aids group. Nobody should be waving a flag of hate in public.

Yes I know a flag is a material thing but...

Its about respect. IMO.

Yes the problem is their PRIDE, not think how anyone feel.

My American neighbor (from 3 houses) put German flag at his garden... :eek3:

Folks, It's just a pride of the south, and some prides just don't go die.

Russian communists are still flying the Sickle and Hammer flag and Russia doesn't banned or outlawed it. And millions and millions were dying and died under flag of red Sickle and Hammer for nearly century.

Russian communists are still flying the Sickle and Hammer flag and Russia doesn't banned or outlawed it. And millions and millions were dying and died under flag of red Sickle and Hammer for nearly century.

Well, none of flags are banned or outlawed but its about respect because each person is different. Nazi flags are not banned or outlawed but not do that to the public.

Well, none of flags are banned or outlawed but its about respect because each person is different. Nazi flags are not banned or outlawed but not do that to the public.

Yeah, well, many people died under the flag of red Sickle and Hammer than the Nazis does. and the S&H flag are still to be flying in some place.

First of all - its sickle and hammer flag was its national and political symbolism (well not as Russia but as U.S.S.R.). Secondly and most importantly - its flag is not a symbol of hate. Nearly a million people died under American flag as well.

The questions about posting such flags the Confederate, Nazi or such should stay at home in private to show their pride and heritage. Those who want to show public, or post on car bumper, license or shirt, baseball cap, etc, are on their own risk. There is a controversy in a lot of places because of the offense image because whether it is racist or hate.

I do own a confederate flag for heritage and it stays in my room where it belongs. I will not take the flag outside for people to see and it's not a good idea. It's all about respect for the country and the people around you. If you want to earn respect, then you have to show them respect too.

I have a lot of friends who are blacks, hispanic,... not just white. We all are human and I respect people who they are. I don't show off and brag about the Confederate flag. If someone wants to share Civil War stories, or any articles, histories, I'm all for it. If it involves hate, racist remarks, then I'm leaving.

The questions about posting such flags the Confederate, Nazi or such should stay at home in private to show their pride and heritage. Those who want to show public, or post on car bumper, license or shirt, baseball cap, etc, are on their own risk. There is a controversy in a lot of places because of the offense image because whether it is racist or hate.

I do own a confederate flag for heritage and it stays in my room where it belongs. I will not take the flag outside for people to see and it's not a good idea. It's all about respect for the country and the people around you. If you want to earn respect, then you have to show them respect too.

I have a lot of friends who are blacks, hispanic,... not just white. We all are human and I respect people who they are. I don't show off and brag about the Confederate flag. If someone wants to share Civil War stories, or any articles, histories, I'm all for it. If it involves hate, racist remarks, then I'm leaving.

:gpost: That's an exactly what I want to say.

but flag represents something that people believe in. Nazi Flag represents Aryan Race. Red Cross symbol represents humanitarian aids group. Nobody should be waving a flag of hate in public.

I understand this.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting to say any particular view.

For me it doesn't have so much to do with flags, but social constructs and finger pointing.

Are we really so hopeless that we can't even control ourselves? I wonder this some times, some times even about me.

I think mind control is on it's way... no, I think it is already here.
It seems that nobody stops to think that symbolism or representation requires an arbitrary and subjective thought. Nothing inherently means anything without a person to think it.

Therefore, if you give something a meaning, another person should be able to refuse or 'take away' that meaning. Yet people stick to the same ones, even though they hate them, it is almost like self torture.

I mean, it's like you said. A flag represents something people believe in. How can they believe it, if they do not choose to do so?

Anyway. I guess I am just strange.

Good post Calvin. :gpost:

First of all - its sickle and hammer flag was its national and political symbolism (well not as Russia but as U.S.S.R.). Secondly and most importantly - its flag is not a symbol of hate. Nearly a million people died under American flag as well.

So, were confederate and swastikas flags national and political symbolism.... IMO, I don't think the Confederate and Swasitka were the hate flag. They were the government flags but Nazis were the most evil government that the world has ever seen in the 20th Century.

Freedom that is controlled with money. Equality controlled with discrimination and racism.

On one hand, it's a sad day when people can wave a flag that represented a confederation of states declaring its RIGHT to own slaves . . . then tell the whopper that its brand of "freedom" had nothing to do with money, then and now, and had nothing to do with discrimination and racism then, and has nothing to do with discrimination and racism now. Pathetic.

On the other hand, because the "Stars 'n' Stripes" flies tomorrow on U.S. Flag Day, those people enjoy the same right of freedom of speech we all do and can make up any story they want to justify flying a flag other than their country's.

Just think about it; if their flag had won, we wouldn't be having this discussion about civil rights. There wouldn't be any.

Back