Communicating with Limited Hand Function

bittersweet_shimmer

Reaction score
A question (with a bit of back story) for all ASL users:

I have cerebral palsy (CP). For the most part my legs are more affected than my arms. However, I do have weakness in my hands that make it difficult to form the ASL hand shapes. I can fingerspell and do some simple signs with my right hand, but on my left my fingers aren't as dexterous and it cannot be turned palm up (as if cupping something in your hand).

My question to you is this: how creative would we have to get to communicate?? I know that for some Deaf people lip reading is more difficult, some people are non-verbal, or just have their own preferences for communication.

Of course, pen and paper work, but of course it's not as fast as signing or just plain speaking. Also, I've been told sometimes I talk so fast that not even the best lip-readers know what I said.

Is there a way around this, or is this a dumb question?:dunno2::confused:

Not a dumb question at all. It is possible to still sign when you have limited function in your hands. I have a friend who has CP that affected only her left side; her hand was pretty much like your left hand. We understood her well. I also knew of another person with CP with generalized ataxia (I think that's the right one..)- very spastic and hard to control her fingers- she signed very well though yep sometimes she had a hard time with some signs. I'd say just sign as you normally would and if they don't understand they'll ask and depending on how much ASL you know you can get creative in substituting other words or just draw in the air.

I lost function in my left thumb and wrist had carple bone removed and have severve lymphdoema in that arm one of reasons I leave spelling errors or bad grammer when post it just to painfull and impossible to type keep retyping and writing sometimes impossible..
I lip read much these days bc I born hearing and it surppose be easier I would argue that.but I have no problems signing BSL but have some difficulty if do ASL alphabet..
I have seen people with CP sign some have difficulty I just try have patience

I have three friends who has CP. One of them I grew up and understand him fine. The other two I met from college, at first I didn't understand them until I know them that well then i understand them fine. It takes some time for us to get know what's your tendency of sign then we'll know. Do what you can then they will understand you for the second time eventually. It's a form of accent in sign. You know?

Hey I have CP as well on my right side. I mostly sign with my left hand with the aid of my right but very limited. It takes people a while to get used to it but once they do there is no problem commicating

Back