Color Tdd

I think in this day and age of high technology, there is NO REASON for tdd's to be so expensive whatsoever when there are so many alternatives that work just as well or better.

I'm another online relay person as well.

there is NO REASON for tdd's to be so expensive whatsoever
They are expensive b/c only a very small percentage of the total popution uses TDDs/TTYs. That's why things like hearing aids, wheelchairs, walkers, braces and other medical thingys are so expensive.
I love the way they look....color always makes things look cool! Remember how popular Imacs were? Even things like George Foreman grills now come in colors!

Also with videophones coming out and lots of deaf people using VPs now, TTYs are starting to lose customers. I have not used my TTY since a year!

coolz.. i rather use nextalk.net.. but i wish TDD have rainbow color.. hehehe..

kuifje75 said:
Also with videophones coming out and lots of deaf people using VPs now, TTYs are starting to lose customers. I have not used my TTY since a year!

Me too bingo...my wife and I agreed this TTY are for emegerncy back up and 911 too...I most used online relay, TTY and VPs like u! What colorful TTY are for...I knew this colorful TTY are created becuz the company's mind said "oh shoot VPs and online relay and tty are stealing our business so we got to do something..." I aint this stupid to see this!

BigSpike said:
Me too bingo...my wife and I agreed this TTY are for emegerncy back up and 911 too...I most used online relay, TTY and VPs like u! What colorful TTY are for...I knew this colorful TTY are created becuz the company's mind said "oh shoot VPs and online relay and tty are stealing our business so we got to do something..." I aint this stupid to see this!

that's very true!!!!!! I agree with you!!!

Maybe VP will copy their example and make some cool color VP with built-in ring flasher? That would be awesome!

NightwarriorJin said:
Maybe VP will copy their example and make some cool color VP with built-in ring flasher? That would be awesome!

Never know.... it's could be true .. who knows!!!

I do not use the video phone services for the deaf. I still prefer TTYs because it is a lot faster for me!

I highly recommend CompuTTY/KrownTTY TTY products. I've been using Krown products for two decades now. In my opinion they are a lot better than UltraTec TTY products. I might go ahead and buy the red one to show people how big fan I am with Georgia Bulldogs! :D I first used when they were called Krown Research Inc., before someone new took over the company and renamed it CompuTTY and KrownTTY.

Brian said:
I do not use the video phone services for the deaf. I still prefer TTYs because it is a lot faster for me!

I highly recommend CompuTTY/KrownTTY TTY products. I've been using Krown products for two decades now. In my opinion they are a lot better than UltraTec TTY products. I might go ahead and buy the red one to show people how big fan I am with Georgia Bulldogs! :D I first used when they were called Krown Research Inc., before someone new took over the company and renamed it CompuTTY and KrownTTY.
TTY is faster for you than VP? Well for most people, VP is faster, having 15 minute of tty convo can be made in vp by just 7 1/2 minute! (that is unless your oral, no offense, I hope)

That's usually because the TDD's take longer to transmit (45.45 baud).

If I use ASCII or Turbocode, and I can touchtype as fast as I can talk (about 100-140 words per minute), the TDD transmits everything realtime without it 'lagging' behind like older TDD's. Some modern TDD's (like DeafWorks) cost less than $200, some as low as $150 new. Cheaper than Ultratec and Krown.

However, for people who have slower TDD's (Baudot only, no ASCII) or are slower typists, videophone is faster. AOr CapTel (which is even faster than videophone!). I'm sure the ultimate would be videophone simultaneously with CapTel ;)

I use my wireless relay, online relay (for calls to US people; I'm Canadian), but I also have to use the Canadian relay services which are more primitive. Also, not all deaf guys do sign language (heaven forbid!)

NightwarriorJin said:
TTY is faster for you than VP? Well for most people, VP is faster, having 15 minute of tty convo can be made in vp by just 7 1/2 minute! (that is unless your oral, no offense, I hope)
Yeah TTY is faster for me. I would use the Video Phone services, if I were good at signs. :)

kuifje75 said:
I hear ya, Kuifje..my TTD is gathering dust too..The only time i use it is to check any calls on it (Caller ID)..i just email to people on computer nowdays..
its free anyway heh! My hubby is hearing so he takes care of calls that is needed..
Maybe thats why they are offering colored TTD..to get people to buy them, heh!

I'd not throw TTY machines away even if you haven't used such in a long time. You never know FTC could one day decide to stop Video Phone and Internet-based services for the deaf.

I hire mine through Telstra for only $4 a month and I rarely use it -- the only times I do use it is when I need to set up an appointment to see my doctor or set up interviews, etc. ;)

Most of the times, I use e-mail as it's heaps more convienent than TTY and cheaper as well! :lol:

How exciting it is to see TDD as well TTY comes in all shapes and colours. I believe it's cheaper as usual in the USA than it is in Australia.
Australia's TTY are rather austere and plain. I have a UniPhone tty which is rarely if ever used. Internet's a reliable, not to mention a cheaper way to transmit information and such.

Back