color blind

*nuked comment*

My daughter class was once given a colorblind test and one boy kept seeing a difference number than the other kids. I think my daughter was in fifth grade at the time. You would think someone had picked up that the boy was colorblind by then.
not necessarily.

Kids don't think to question why they see things a certain way- they think it's 'normal' so don't bother to say anything. As for clothing, as a young kid, his mother would have helped or picked out the clothes anyway and as he got older quite possible the same idea- he already knows what goes with what or he sticks to the same sets/patterns.

Took me 36 years to figure it out. I see the numbers that color blind people see in the tests but I can tell the difference between traffic lights. From what I've read there are a lot of people that don't know if it's mild like me. True color blindness is rare and extream. You would probably figure that out fairly early.

I have Tritan type color blindness, but my children are not affected at all.

Of course this may be made worse by my eye disease.

Very rare. 1 in 10,000 and are not the same sex linked genetics as the common red green color blindness so affect men and women equally. It can also be aquired and not inherited.

I am curious... why would the childern of a color blind female all be colored blind as well?
I can explain this.

Color blindness is passed on the gender chromosome, which has 2 parts X and Y. So a quick recap of gender, mothers have 2 X parts in their gender chromosome, one is used in making the baby. Fathers have an X and a Y and either one of the other is passed. Boys are made when an X and Y are passed, girls are made when two Xes are passed.

X is the carrier part of color blindness, so any X can have the colorblind modification. So you have 5 possible parent types:

X Y = non-color blind male
X Y = color blind male
X X = non color blind female
X X = non-color blind female with a carrier X
X X = color blind female

In order to be color blind, all X parts need to be colorblind gene carriers.

So now you can pick any male and any female from above and make a list of possible offspring. The kids get 1 random X from the mom, and either the X or the Y from the dad.

So a color blind male having kids with a non-carrier female looks like this:

Parents:
X X = mom
X Y = dad

X X = Daughter (carries the color blind trait, but isn't color blind)
X Y = Son (Since the X always comes from the mom, he's not color blind)

Now a color blind carrier female having kids with a color blind male looks like this:

X X = Mom (not colorblind, but is carrier)
X Y = Dad (color blind)

X X = daughter (carrier, but not cb)
X X = daughter (color blind)
X Y = son (color blind)
X Y = son (not color blind)

Then for a color blind mom:

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X Y = Son (color blind) - this is the only possible son variant, they'll all be color blind
X X = Daughter (carrier) this is the only possible daughter variant, none will be color blind, but all will be carriers

The worst case is both color blind parents, in which case all kids will definitely be color blind:

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X Y = son (color blind)

I hope that makes some sense, basically it's because the trait is recessive, and because the mom always passes the X to a son that a color blind mom will always produce color blind boys. Similarly A non-carrier mom will never produce color blind offspring regardless of the state of the father.

Color blind females are more rare because it requires both parents to carry the trait on at least one X part. The dad has to be color blind, and the mom is either color blind or a carrier. Whereas for boys, the mom only needs to be a carrier and there's a chance the boy will be CB. It's very similar to blue eyes vs brown eyes.

This is all also of course susceptible to mutation and is just generally the way things go. There are exceptions to recessive inheritance.

I can explain this.

Color blindness is passed on the gender chromosome, which has 2 parts X and Y. So a quick recap of gender, mothers have 2 X parts in their gender chromosome, one is used in making the baby. Fathers have an X and a Y and either one of the other is passed. Boys are made when an X and Y are passed, girls are made when two Xes are passed.

X is the carrier part of color blindness, so any X can have the colorblind modification. So you have 5 possible parent types:

X Y = color blind male
X X = color blind female

So now you can pick any male and any female from above and make a list of possible offspring. The kids get 1 random X from the mom, and either the X or the Y from the dad.

Parents:
X X = mom
X Y = dad

Now a color blind carrier female having kids with a color blind male looks like this:

X Y = Dad (color blind)

X Y = son (color blind)

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X Y = Son (color blind) - this is the only possible son variant, they'll all be color blind
X X = Daughter (carrier) this is the only possible daughter variant, none will be color blind, but all will be carriers

The worst case is both color blind parents, in which case all kids will definitely be color blind:

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X Y = son (color blind)

I hope that makes some sense, basically it's because the trait is recessive, and because the mom always passes the X to a son that a color blind mom will always produce color blind boys. Similarly A non-carrier mom will never produce color blind offspring regardless of the state of the father.

Color blind females are more rare because it requires both parents to carry the trait on at least one X part. The dad has to be color blind, and the mom is either color blind or a carrier. Whereas for boys, the mom only needs to be a carrier and there's a chance the boy will be CB. It's very similar to blue eyes vs brown eyes.

This is all also of course susceptible to mutation and is just generally the way things go. There are exceptions to recessive inheritance.

You put a lot of effort into this answer, I greatly appreciate the time you took to make it so clear. :) It does make since and thank you :)

I can explain this.

X Y = color blind male
X X = color blind female

Parents:
X X = mom
X Y = dad

X Y = Dad (color blind)

X Y = son (color blind)

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X X = Mom
X Y = Dad

X Y = son (color blind)

I LOVE Biology.... took it 3 years. Confusion to some with the X and Y cromosones.....

Took me 36 years to figure it out. I see the numbers that color blind people see in the tests but I can tell the difference between traffic lights. From what I've read there are a lot of people that don't know if it's mild like me. True color blindness is rare and extream. You would probably figure that out fairly early.

My uncle was very colorblind if he was out on his own trying to buy something and asked for a certain color item and the color was not there he had a hard time. His friends would have to tell the salesperson what color he wanted . I asked my older sister if she remembered how many of your uncle were colorblind , my sister forgotten too.

My mom's brother was colorblind so I wonder who he got it from .

I LOVE Biology.... took it 3 years. Confusion to some with the X and Y cromosones.....
If I were to do it all over, I might focus a career on genetics. It's so wildly interesting and we're such newbs still. So much room for huge discoveries. I think some of the biggest most wild changes to our world/species will come from genetics in the next couple centuries.

You put a lot of effort into this answer, I greatly appreciate the time you took to make it so clear. :) It does make since and thank you :)
Glad it helped and came across clear. It was fun to write, remembering how all that works and reminding myself. Makes me sort of wish I went into genetics though, love the topic.

"Color and how we percieve it also is very much cultural,
Its an interesting perception or lack of one... "

I disagree , I love Southwestern designs and I grew up in New England . I find a lot of the New England colors boring in paint store . I was thinking of trying to move and had my son in law paint my condo is a boring white and put in a boring sand color w/w rug . BORING ! This is what people around like . UGH ! I had always love Southwestern designs and Native
American designs , I love bright colors .

You may disagree all you like, that doesnt change the fact that color, (not pigment) is very much a cultural phenomenon.
You do understand the difference right?
Its often explored in a first semiotics course, also heavily in art history
Let me ask you a few questions.
In the west, as in the western cultural sphere, is it a white weeding dress generally used by the bride at a wedding? Are weedings a part of culture at large?
In the western cultural sphere what is the color of mourning usually worn and displayed at funuerals? Are funurals part of a cultural matrix of mourning? Do other cultures use different colors for morning in funural rights? Do other cultures use different colors for weeding rights? Note. Im not arguing no one in the west uses a pink weeding gown, or a puke colored one...im discussing culture as widely practiced and the use of color. There is always exeptions. There will always be in this age a nude weeding or whatever. Its the established norms im starting with here
For baby boys what is the color generally used within the western cultural sphere?
What is the color used for baby girls? Is the use of the above colors a cultural behavoure? Or is there use based on something other then culture?

You may disagree all you like, that doesnt change the fact that color, (not pigment) is very much a cultural phenomenon.
You do understand the difference right?
Its often explored in a first semiotics course, also heavily in art history
Let me ask you a few questions.
In the west, as in the western cultural sphere, is it a white weeding dress generally used by the bride at a wedding? Are weedings a part of culture at large?
In the western cultural sphere what is the color of mourning usually worn and displayed at funuerals? Are funurals part of a cultural matrix of mourning? Do other cultures use different colors for morning in funural rights? Do other cultures use different colors for weeding rights? Note. Im not arguing no one in the west uses a pink weeding gown, or a puke colored one...im discussing culture as widely practiced and the use of color. There is always exeptions. There will always be in this age a nude weeding or whatever. Its the established norms im starting with here
For baby boys what is the color generally used within the western cultural sphere?
What is the color used for baby girls? Is the use of the above colors a cultural behavoure? Or is there use based on something other then culture?

Ah... I see now...

Glad it helped and came across clear. It was fun to write, remembering how all that works and reminding myself. Makes me sort of wish I went into genetics though, love the topic.

Genetics is an interesting topic, but it has an ethical tap that many want to press... but in many ways I agree in that direction is where a lot of our answers lay...

Thsts a good question, see my reply to wdys..
Its a worthy exploration....my post i hope allows for mire discussion..

I did, and figured out what you ment :D as for further discussion it would be an interesting thread...but would hijack this one :D read some art history a while back and agree it is worthy of exploration...

Back