Codas

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
have you ever met someone you thought might be deaf but they are CODA?

I know some CODAS sign not very well too.

If you met someone who signs and you were not sure if this person was hearing or not.

Which deaf of hearing do you use the term?

Are you hearing?

Are you deaf?

In the past, I think i did ask, " are yo hearing?". I dont know why I said "hearing first." :hmm:

I've had interpreters I knew were CODA, and I was right. Weird.

I've had interpreters I knew were CODA, and I was right. Weird.

Me too!!

But sometimes they were not interpreters and thought they were deaf. I had to ask few questions then i had to ask, are you hearing? coda asked me how did i know? I said, "deaf secret code" lol I was joking. I said, " it depends on how much knowledges do they have with deaf community" that's how It led me to ask a question.

my first year at a Summer job, my hearing supervisor in the recreational program for d/Deaf young children <ages 5-12> , was CODA. She may also have been a 'terp but don't remember. She was active in the Deaf community as her parents were long-time members. Sometimes people did think she was deaf as her signing was DOD.

my first year at a summer job, my supervisor in the recreational program for d/deaf young children <ages 5-12> , was coda. She may also have been a 'terp but don't remember. She was active in the deaf community as her parents were long-time members. Sometimes people did think she was deaf as her signing was dod.

dod?

One CODA I know used to teach at one of the schools with me. She signs just like a deaf person...it's really hard to imagine she is hearing!

Talk about FLUENCY. Whoa!

I know most CODAs tend to tell us that they were hearing. In the other way that they do have manners for telling Deaf/Hoh that they are hearing.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Yea, a lot of terps are coda.

Wirelessly posted

A lot of people think I'm a CODA. Lol. a compliment or an insult? ;)

recreational program supervisor I had at a job <job working with kids with disabilities and kids who were deaf> was CODA. She and her family were very active in the Deaf community. She seemed to flow effortlessly between hearing, deaf and Deaf.

A lady in my Deaf church is CODA, but then she's also an awesome interpreter.

I met two d/Deaf person with Deaf parents and I got one interpreter got Deaf sibling with hearing parents.

One with deaf parents don't sign too well/much and other one full BSL user. Interpreter with Deaf sibling is best interpreter I ever have cos she sign so so good!

Back