Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

AH..
In my world the parents hear after several tests that the child has profound hearing loss, and HAs are fitted. Then after some time with HAs the child is tested again to see if the HAs help. if not, the request for CI is send. That took some time to get through the system..
In Lottes case I feel we have waisted at least 12 months with this process.

Just a question.... why would you let a child wear HAs for 18 years when it doesn't help the child... Sounds rediculous to me

It works for me but I can see that you are very impatient with Lotta's speech progression. That is the problem with hearing parents as they think CI can and will solve the problem. It doesn't always solve the problem and it is possible that it can make it worse.

I understand.. Thanks. I don't know any people close by with children that are deaf... (us excluded..)
I was wondering because the chance of deaf people getting deaf children in just a bit higher than with hearing people due to genetics, but still pretty small. Most deaf children are born from hearing parents...
Glad to hear you you have contact with both groups... And for them to have contact with you..

You and AGB are two peas in a pod. You sound just like AGB who wrote a book where he raised alarm that the deaf people are begetting deaf kids and that there could be a deaf race. I just read that book. He had suggested that the people find a cause of this "problem" and get rid of it. I won't be surprise if you would support eugenics like AGB cuz you and other people like AGB probably see deaf people as a burden. Guess what? It is really the other way around. The hearing people really do give deaf people a hard time by refusing to sign, decided on the Deaf Education that really work against the deaf kids, refuse to hire deaf people or hire deaf people but deny them the promotions they rightly deserved. Many hearing people denied that and choose to be blind to the truth of discrimination.

Why don't you try demonstrating that first to me before you preach such thing again and again and again? It's tiresome.

But I think it's in your best interest to listen to our experiences rather than talking about yours. I'm sorry but your "experience" doesn't hold much weight because:

1. you're not deaf
2. you're experiencing it vicariously thru your deaf child
3. you don't know nothing yet since your child is just a kid. wait till he gets older and guess what? we're a grown-up and we know it all.

Yup. Especially when the child faces discrimination. I learned to speak and did that make life easier for me in this world? Nope. Why would CI be different from HA? No difference. The ugly discriminations was in the past and present and will be in the future as well. Nothing really changes.

It works for me but I can see that you are very impatient with Lotta's speech progression. That is the problem with hearing parents as they think CI can and will solve the problem. It doesn't always solve the problem and it is possible that it can make it worse.

:lol: LOL .. Interested to find out how you came to THAT conclusion.. LOL :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4g0O4wc9pw&feature=player_embedded]"Baby Baby"[/ame]

You and AGB are two peas in a pod. You sound just like AGB who wrote a book where he raised alarm that the deaf people are begetting deaf kids and that there could be a deaf race. I just read that book. He had suggested that the people find a cause of this "problem" and get rid of it. I won't be surprise if you would support eugenics like AGB cuz you and other people like AGB probably see deaf people as a burden. Guess what? It is really the other way around. The hearing people really do give deaf people a hard time by refusing to sign, decided on the Deaf Education that really work against the deaf kids, refuse to hire deaf people or hire deaf people but deny them the promotions they rightly deserved. Many hearing people denied that and choose to be blind to the truth of discrimination.
WOW... you really have to explain how I sound like Alex.. because nothing in your summary of the book sounds like me...
Perhaps it sounds like many people, hearing people around you, but not me...

"could be a deaf race"... Nah.. deaf children are mostly born from hearing people. Not likely to be a deaf race. Besides.. it's Harlan Lane & friends that want the Deaf people to be labelled so they can claim genocide due to the deaf people that can hear with CI..

"..deaf people as a burden.."... Never thought of it like that....
It did come to mind that my daughter would have more possibilities when she can hear. (Avoiding the word "hearing" here.)

Perhaps you should try reading "Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human" by Mike Chorost

Can you kindly link me to any story like above?

To me - that sounds like a sad pathetic attempt to create a fictitious sob story but do feel free to link me a story that backs your claim.
Look for any thread about "school system", "my parents treated me like hearing", "found Deaf culture", "saved by Deaf culture" and you will get the general idea..

Btw... The sob-stories are not coming from the parents who made the choice to let their deaf child hear....

Look for any thread about "school system", "my parents treated me like hearing", "found Deaf culture", "saved by Deaf culture" and you will get the general idea..

Btw... The sob-stories are not coming from the parents who made the choice to let their deaf child hear....

majority of deaf children have hearing parents.

Why don't we answer my question first before you ask me a question?
"We"... Yes, I guess you are used to answering your own questions....
I already answered your question, but feel free to answer it yourself as well..

Btw... This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread...
I better stop with this... But feel free to start a new thread to continue... I'll see you there..

"We"... Yes, I guess you are used to answering your own questions....
I already answered your question, but feel free to answer it yourself as well..
Yes "we".... as in me helping you answer my question.

Btw... This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread...
I better stop with this... But feel free to start a new thread to continue... I'll see you there..
why all of sudden now? No need to answer this because we both know why.

Wirelessly posted

Coggly -- I hope you don't suggest Deaf people shouldn't drive unless they are speakers like the hearing for the safety. =/

Last edited:
Any knowledge about deafness is valuable, but don't you think it's more relevant for parents with a deaf child than for parents with a child that can hear...

What is your point?

any parents do the same thing for their own children, no matter what kids are to make sure they are in the same pattern. just the words you were using that makes sound like disablity or something.

just never mind what I am saying.

Yes "we".... as in me helping you answer my question.
why all of sudden now? No need to answer this because we both know why.
:wave:Looking forward to your "Trolling" thread where "we" can continue answering your questions....

Free Rick48 & Faire_jour. And GrendelQ !!

Last edited:
WOW... you really have to explain how I sound like Alex.. because nothing in your summary of the book sounds like me...
Perhaps it sounds like many people, hearing people around you, but not me...

"could be a deaf race"... Nah.. deaf children are mostly born from hearing people. Not likely to be a deaf race. Besides.. it's Harlan Lane & friends that want the Deaf people to be labelled so they can claim genocide due to the deaf people that can hear with CI..

"..deaf people as a burden.."... Never thought of it like that....
It did come to mind that my daughter would have more possibilities when she can hear. (Avoiding the word "hearing" here.)

Perhaps you should try reading "Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human" by Mike Chorost

What Mike Chorost had to do with it? He is an adult who made the choice. He lost his hearing so I can see why he want it back. The problem I am seeing is that deaf babies/kids don't have that choice. Don't tell me that they can always leave out the processor part... I am talking about the internal part and that people are attempting to turn deaf kids into hearing kids without giving them any choice.

Now you... AGB's goal was to make the deaf kids forget that they are deaf by making them "speak".
Your goal is to make your deaf daughter forgot that she is deaf by making her "hear".

Let me quote you: "I was wondering because the chance of deaf people getting deaf children in just a bit higher than with hearing people due to genetics, but still pretty small. Most deaf children are born from hearing parents... ". That is very similiar to what AGB was saying in his paper. You two are trying to put fear in hearing people to turn against deaf people. I am sick of your type who think that you guys are helping the deaf kids but actually are making things worse for the deaf kids.

Back