Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

I can understand that some hearing parents knows that if deaf kids can hear with HA or some beneficial to deaf kids. However, HA is not enough satisfying to some hearing parents so they pursue deaf kids to go for the CI to hear more sounds. I have witnessed that too many.

There! That is what I am talking about. If a baby has an overlap of hearing, I am not surprised that the parents would opt for CI when they can opt for hearing aid and let the child choose at later date like after 18 years old.
AH..
In my world the parents hear after several tests that the child has profound hearing loss, and HAs are fitted. Then after some time with HAs the child is tested again to see if the HAs help. if not, the request for CI is send. That took some time to get through the system..
In Lottes case I feel we have waisted at least 12 months with this process.

Just a question.... why would you let a child wear HAs for 18 years when it doesn't help the child... Sounds rediculous to me

I can understand that some hearing parents knows that if deaf kids can hear with HA or some beneficial to deaf kids. However, HA is not enough satisfying to some hearing parents so they pursue deaf kids to go for the CI to hear more sounds. I have witnessed that too many.
Where did you witness that.?. I have never seen that..

I know babies who failed the ABR tests and then were determined to be hearing. *shrugs*
WOW.. You know 2.!
I have heard about that as well.... but only on the AllDeaf message board..
Would be interesting to read more about that..

Of course, I have deaf/hoh/Deaf friends all my life. Obviously, I often visit their house and met their parents. I did watch at how parents were treating their kids relating with the sounds. They even asked me about my HA and answered them. They response was "OH.". They are good parents but they rather their kids to hear more than little.

That is true.

Of course, I have deaf/hoh/Deaf friends all my life. Obviously, I often visit their house and met their parents. I did watch at how parents were treating their kids relating with the sounds. They even asked me about my HA and answered them. They response was "OH.". They are good parents but they rather their kids to hear more than little.

That is true.
I understand.. Thanks. I don't know any people close by with children that are deaf... (us excluded..)
I was wondering because the chance of deaf people getting deaf children in just a bit higher than with hearing people due to genetics, but still pretty small. Most deaf children are born from hearing parents...
Glad to hear you you have contact with both groups... And for them to have contact with you..

OMG. Do you have any idea how many on this form actually benefit from HAs and STILL qualify and get approved for a CI? All it takes is a certain DB level. Believe it or not. I'm one of them. Please know what you are talking about before you post it.

OMG I've said sufficient benefit before. If a person is profoundly deaf, there are obviously differences between each person. Sure, some might have access to loud environmental noises, and maybe access to other sounds. The question is whether or not they have sufficient access to speech in most cases. The majority of the time when the CI is opted for, the person doesn't have access to speech. Why else would they get the implant? For a fun surgery? For the pretty little decoration that's attached to their head? I don't think so.

I understand.. Thanks. I don't know any people close by with children that are deaf... (us excluded..)
I was wondering because the chance of deaf people getting deaf children in just a bit higher than with hearing people due to genetics, but still pretty small. Most deaf children are born from hearing parents...
Glad to hear you you have contact with both groups...And for them to have contact with you..

In the bold, what do you mean by that?

OMG I've said sufficient benefit before. If a person is profoundly deaf, there are obviously differences between each person. Sure, some might have access to loud environmental noises, and maybe access to other sounds. The question is whether or not they have sufficient access to speech in most cases. The majority of the time when the CI is opted for, the person doesn't have access to speech. Why else would they get the implant? For a fun surgery? For the pretty little decoration that's attached to their head? I don't think so.

Maybe you need to understand a CI audi evaluation to know what is entailed in this process. There are posters above your recent posts (and after mine) that have displayed the same information -- there are overlaps in which HAs function to a point that is similar to a CI -- that's EXACTLY why I didn't get one. I went through the entire CI audi evaluation myself (and others have done the same, and posted them here.) The results showed I was functioning far well enough with the HAs that even though I qualified at a DB loss, a CI would not gain me any additional benefit other than environmental sounds. Sorry if I don't want a surgery so I can hear frogs croaking.

A person who gets a CI does not benefit from HA's- that is the point.

Sorry if my above response sounds harsh. I just can't stand by and let you tell people that all those who get CIs do not benefit from HAs. It's the un-truth.

Last edited:

That's because you're a hearing person, your only association with the deaf world is through your daughter. You don't have deaf frriends and apparently neither does your daughter because you don't seem to see a need for her to have friends like herself.

Are you in the habit of being in other people's homes witnessing parents and family members and friends and doctors and audiologists all putting pressure on the child to get an implant?

If not, then you have no idea. It happened in my home, and I know it's happened in other deaf people's homes. Just about every profoundly deaf person I know has talked about people pressuring them to get CIs.

That's because you're a hearing person, your only association with the deaf world is through your daughter. You don't have deaf frriends and apparently neither does your daughter because you don't seem to see a need for her to have friends like herself.

Are you in the habit of being in other people's homes witnessing parents and family members and friends and doctors and audiologists all putting pressure on the child to get an implant?

If not, then you have no idea. It happened in my home, and I know it's happened in other deaf people's homes. Just about every profoundly deaf person I know has talked about people pressuring them to get CIs.

A parent of a deaf child would know a thing or two about whether or not there's pressure to look into getting hearing aids or an implant for a child. We don't have to go into other people's homes to get direct experience. :laugh2:

We had no pressure at all regarding implants from anyone, friend, stranger or medical professional. No one I know knew a thing about CIs at the time. Many people asked us if we were considering hearing aids. I didn't see that as pressure, just interest. I suppose if you hold some doubt about your own knowledge or decisions, you might find questions about your approach to be "pressure."

A parent of a deaf child would know a thing or two about whether or not there's pressure to look into getting hearing aids or an implant for a child. We don't have to go into other people's homes to get direct experience. :laugh2:

We had no pressure at all regarding implants from anyone, friend, stranger or medical professional. No one I know knew a thing about CIs at the time. Many people asked us if we were considering hearing aids. I didn't see that as pressure, just interest. I suppose if you hold some doubt about your own knowledge or decisions, you might find questions about your approach to be "pressure."

So, if it didn't happen to you then it didn't happen to anyone? is that what you're saying? you're saying we're lying and that we need to re-evaluate this definition of pressure?

Your experience with your own child does not represent all deaf people's experiences.

wow.

So, if it didn't happen to you then it didn't happen to anyone? is that what you're saying? you're saying we're lying and that we need to re-evaluate this definition of pressure?

Your experience with your own child does not represent all deaf people's experiences.

wow.

Wow, quite a leap there. Did you really read all that into my post? Took that a bit personally, didn't you? That's a very active fantasy you have going there.

I'm not the one extrapolating my direct experience to others. I described it. Cloggy described his. You are attempting to invalidate those real experiences with ... hmm, lets's see: You are extrapolating your experience as a parent of a deaf child who has faced public opinion about whether or not to implant your child. Oh, wait -- you don't have that experience, let me amend that: you are the one extrapolating something you've 'heard about' from others and insisting that's how it is for parents of deaf children. Regardless of what actual parents of deaf children describe as their experiences.

Let me be really explicit: you told a parent of a deaf child that he wouldn't know of the pressures faced by someone making decisions about whether or not to implant a deaf child. :hmm: And you added that you -- someone who doesn't have a deaf child and has never addressed the question of whether or not to implant him or her -- can speak about the awful pressures parents of deaf children face, but parents of deaf children shouldn't do so ....

Not to be argumentive but if she can hear anything at 12 mo then she is going to decipher those sounds not unlike any other child at 12 mo who really can not talk or understand everything they hear. They may sound different than a born hearing but it will be all she knows and won't realize the difference. I am not anti CI nor am I totally for it. I think there are times when it is needed and other times when it is beneficial but people should feel free to make their own decisions and not get harrassed for it. It is not like they are adding something to the body that the body is not designed for. We live in a hearing world. When they start adding a third arm to kids to make them more efficient then you can complain. Just because you choose not to does not mean others should also choose this.

Your experience with your own child does not represent all deaf people's experiences.....
Doesn't that go both ways?

Doesn't that go both ways?

Not really.

If the only deaf person you know personally is your child, and you are not deaf yourself, you do not experience the same things deaf people do first hand.

So, you may not have personally witnessed anyone pressuring their child or deaf people being pressured and I believe you. but I am saying it definitely happens. It happened to me and it happened to deaf people I know. We do talk about CIs and we do talk about how family, friends, school and doctors can put pressure on us to get implanted.

You and GrendelQ may not have witnessed this personally and it's likely because you're not deaf.

I just don't like the suggestion that if you didn't experience it personally, that what others are saying must be mistaken or exaggerated or false.

wow, u all need to calm down! Can I just say that I have been to two CI evaluations about 5 years apart and I was not pressured into it. I was asked if I knew what they were and if I would be interested in going for testing. First time I was told I benefit from HA to the point I can understand speech so he did not recommend it because he flat out told me I would be deaf if I had it and it does not always work the way they plan for it to. Since I have progressive loss to wait and see where technology brings us when I can no longer benefit from HA. Recently went back for CI eval and I do qualify now I can hear enough to lip read but I can not understand speech with out lipreading. Was explained to all the side effects and told to research and also was given info on how to contact other people with CI and picnics and such and was given my surgeons email if I had any questions or concerns. Not everyone out there is looking to just get paid. You make it sound like they are doing it to benefit them. Although I did learn in my research that they have lessoned the qualifications of hearing loss to get the CI in between my two appt. and I found that odd. But they say with being late deafened the earlier you get it the better because if you wait until your ears are dead like my one is *(and they wanted to do the one I could hear out of) then it is less likely to have as big of an effect because there are no longer signals being sent through the nerve to the brain. I am rambling now but that is my experience with the CI, doesn't matter anyway for me cuz the damn insurance won't cover it anyway.

To a born deaf person being asked numerous times about CI by people I can see how you would feel pressured. I don't know the details of your experiences but I think it is just that we look at it different. To you who has a support system of people who knows other deaf people and is a part of the culture then it is likely considered harrassment but for the late deafened and hearing parents who know no one that knows ASL then it is often looked at as the "miracle cure".

Back