Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

A couple of days ago she ran home from school... One battery had gone dead, and she feared that the other would soon give up, so she ran home to change batteries ASAP..

Why didn't she bring her extra battery at school?

... but there's always a silver lining somewhere... You'll find it..

yes I'll be able to find it easily if I were a hearie but as a deaf person, I find it incredibly sad.

Well written....

But you were asking about Lotte.....

She has no problem walking around deaf until other people get up in the morning. She will play alone, including singing and talking to dolls, who talk back. When others get up, she wants to hear and will put her CI on.. In the evening she will happily give the CI to us to hang the at the storage space, and will go to sleep..

A couple of days ago she ran home from school... One battery had gone dead, and she feared that the other would soon give up, so she ran home to change batteries ASAP..

That is the point exactly. Why should she have to run home out of fear because her second CI perhaps will die?? She does not know how act in the hearing world outside of her home without her CI? This is what some of the people try to explain.

CI is great for her, yes. I applaud that she can speak or sing "Baby, baby" but truly.. Seeing her run home out of fear of her other CI dying is something else. It is a sign of her being insecured without her CI, outside of her home.

Makes me feel for FF's hubby who lost his processor and has had to go without it for months. What happens if that happens to a child who has no other language like ASL (or any form of sign language)

Why didn't she bring her extra battery at school?
Precisely... Good thinking....
It's at school since day 1, but since it has never been used.... Lotte forgot and teachers didn't realise..
The batteries are rechargeable. That's done during the night... unless the power goes off.... duh..
Now she has backup batteries (cells) in her bag as well.... Hope she will remember in 2-3 years

It's not easy when technology is so good that you hardly ever need a backup..

That is the point exactly. Why should she have to run home out of fear because her second CI perhaps will die?? She does not know how act in the hearing world outside of her home without her CI? This is what some of the people try to explain.

CI is great for her, yes. I applaud that she can speak or sing "Baby, baby" but truly.. Seeing her run home out of fear of her other CI dying is something else. It is a sign of her being insecured without her CI, outside of her home.
yes... that's one way to look at it...
A deaf girl that can hear freaking out, getting scared, because she thinks she will go deaf in a short while...
or....
A deaf girl that can hear with CI and is surprised that her CI stops in the middle of the day, realises that there's a lot more to hear at school and in the schoolyard and goes home as soon as possible to prevent missing anything...

The correct way to look at it is...... #2..!!!

so you do believe that living in silence is sad and terrible and that it's better to be an Oral Deaf than deaf Deaf?
Beautiful how you manage to put words in peoples mouth that they have never said.. not even indicated.......
You really want to believe it don't you... Sorry... can't help you..

No... it's incredibly sad that you find it incredibly sad...

Precisely... Good thinking....
It's at school since day 1, but since it has never been used.... Lotte forgot and teachers didn't realise..
The batteries are rechargeable. That's done during the night... unless the power goes off.... duh..
Now she has backup batteries (cells) in her bag as well.... Hope she will remember in 2-3 years

It's not easy when technology is so good that you hardly ever need a backup..

Hopefully there'll come a day when she won't need to run home if her battery, aka, her hearing, died. More importantly, that she won't feel a need to.

Beautiful how you manage to put words in peoples mouth...

No... it's incredibly sad that you find it incredibly sad...

um.... I asked you a question which you can answer with yes or no. How is that putting words in your mouth? :roll:

yes... that's one way to look at it...
A deaf girl that can hear freaking out, getting scared, because she thinks she will go deaf in a short while...
or....
A deaf girl that can hear with CI and is surprised that her CI stops in the middle of the day, realises that there's a lot more to hear at school and in the schoolyard and goes home as soon as possible to prevent missing anything...

The correct way to look at it is...... #2..!!!

Mmmm Okay.. That is how you look at it... But have you actually sat down and asked her how it made her feel???

You post over and over about you, and what you think.. have you once.... asked her?

I grew up oral and I freaked out when one of my hearing aid battery died. I got this feeling of dread that the other one will die soon...When it did. I was unable to hear and was really upset. They assumed that I can hear, and kept talking to me. I did not know how to react. I was so upset that I went to the school nurse to call my mom to pick me up.

Yours, just left school and ran home.....

Makes me feel for FF's hubby who lost his processor and has had to go without it for months. What happens if that happens to a child who has no other language like ASL (or any form of sign language)

yeah He still has the WORN OUT back up but he still needs new one ASAP. SO far, we have no lucky to get a new one or used one yet! Health insurance is out. Can you image that those ci users who become adults they WILL have hard times finding or buying new ones.

my hub is disappointed about it ,big time.

Hopefully there'll come a day when she won't need to run home if her battery, aka, her hearing, died. More importantly, that she won't feel a need to.
Charged batteries work the whole day... She will make her own backup plan when she's old enough...

Oh.. sorry, you mean "she will be comfortable not hearing"...
Well, that might take a long time.. She's so used to talking to everybody around her that "not hearing" possibly will alienate her from all the hearing people....

Charged batteries work the whole day... She will make her own backup plan when she's old enough...

Oh.. sorry, you mean "she will be comfortable not hearing"...
Well, that might take a long time.. She's so used to talking to everybody around her that "not hearing" possibly will alienate her from all the hearing people....

That's pretty sad. That's the tragedy of only knowing the hearing world as a hearing person.

Deafness should not really cause you to be cut off.

I pity her.

That's pretty sad. That's the tragedy of only knowing the hearing world as a hearing person.

Deafness should not really cause you to be cut off.

I pity her.
No need for that... Only knowing the hearing world as a hearing person is very common...

Why the pity? She sounds like a self-sufficient little girl who knows what she needs and knows where to find it, and took it upon herself to run home to get it. She has an excellent spirit of initiative, so good for her.

The reality of her life is that she's at school with hearing and speaking kids and has a hearing/speaking teacher. In that environment she needs her CIs. So what's the big deal? Knowing sign language would not have helped her any.

I applaud her. Smart kid with initiative, she'll do fine in her life.

Why the pity? She sounds like a self-sufficient little girl who knows what she needs and knows where to find it, and took it upon herself to run home to get it. She has an excellent spirit of initiative, so good for her.

The reality of her life is that she's at school with hearing and speaking kids and has a hearing/speaking teacher. In that environment she needs her CIs. So what's the big deal? Knowing sign language would not have helped her any.

I applaud her. Smart kid with initiative, she'll do fine in her life.

They don't always work forever.

Back