Cochlear Implants, why you may want to wait.

I wanted to add that I didn't pay a cent for either of my CI surgeries. I don't pay for mappings either.

How can you possibly know what the cost is going to be for something that is still in development?

Because it's being offered today in China for many different kinds of diseases/disorders/conditions including blindness/deafness.

Medicaid only spent about $20,000 on mine. The whole thing was $60 grand but Medicaid negotiated with Cochlear and had the whole thing reduced to about $20 grand and then paid for it in full. I have not paid one single penny nor have I seen one single bill for the CI or the surgery itself and that was three years ago.

DD1, you are being ridiculous.

:laugh2:

Ditto! You're right about stem cell never cure for DEAF! There is no proof it. I rather to have CI over stem cell.

:laugh2:

Ditto! You're right about stem cell never cure for DEAF! There is no proof it. I rather to have CI over stem cell.

I respect your choice. I know stem cells isn't a cure. It will make me less deaf however and ill be able to benefit much more from my HAs. I rather have stem cells because I can keep wearing HAs, keep my residual hearing plus improve my hearing and avoid surgery and having a device in my head. I have many more reasons in my blog.

Same here, I have respected everyone's choice. As for advanced technology, who really knows? We will have to wait and see. I only wish others would respect our choices to want to do what we think is best for us.

I respect your choice. I know stem cells isn't a cure. It will make me less deaf however and ill be able to benefit much more from my HAs. I rather have stem cells because I can keep wearing HAs, keep my residual hearing plus improve my hearing and avoid surgery and having a device in my head. I have many more reasons in my blog.

I can understand that you would rather hear without having a device on your head. Good luck with the stem cells.

I can understand that you would rather hear without having a device on your head. Good luck with the stem cells.

Thats one of the big advantages. I mention many more advantages in my blog. I don't have to repeat them as they are already mentioned.

you know what? the $100,000 total is not JUST for the cochlear implant device.. it also includes hospital, surgery and anesthesia costs as well, the whole ENTIRE thing, and Dr. Kelsall told me that the hospital costs is the BIGGEST part of the $100,000 total. I have no idea how Medicaid works. Each centers/hospitals have their own total costs. The implant center is filling out pre-authorization paperwork for Medicaid, and if Medicaid approves, they'll get the info on how much Medicaid will cover, etc., and then let me know. Generally the total cost is $50,000-$70,000, but for some reason Rocky Mountain Ear Center's total is about $100,000 because of the hospital they're associated with.

Because it's being offered today in China for many different kinds of diseases/disorders/conditions including blindness/deafness.
Really? Everything I have found so far indicates it's years out before anything viable can be used. Can you provide me with any sources of information that would contradict what I am able to currently find? Thanks!

Really? Everything I have found so far indicates it's years out before anything viable can be used. Can you provide me with any sources of information that would contradict what I am able to currently find? Thanks!

I'd be interested in this information as well. I've done quite a bit of research regarding blindness and so far, I haven't read anything that points to a cure in the near future. The closest they have come is the bionic eye, but that's completely different from stem cells.

I'd be interested in this information as well. I've done quite a bit of research regarding blindness and so far, I haven't read anything that points to a cure in the near future. The closest they have come is the bionic eye, but that's completely different from stem cells.
Lets see if DeafDude answers.

Here's a blog of stem cells improving her vision. Ive read testimonals and other blogs and the concensus is that stem cells can get someone with 20/20,000 vision(pretty much light perception) down to 20/1000(count fingers at 4 feet) that's a 20x improvement! One young lady did get down from 20/4000 to 20/80 which is really amazing, that's 50x better!

Kacie’s Septo-Optic Displasia Blog

The major flaw with the stem cell argument that has been presented is that one patient is not statistically nor clinically valid. How many patients has is been tried on? How many failed? What is the general efficacy of the treatment? What claims of efficacy claims have been approved by the FDA?

C1

Back