Cochlear Implants, why you may want to wait.

I for one am waiting. Stem cells to improve hearing loss by as much as 30db is already here. So much for it "never" comming in your lifetime. I expect stem cell technology to improve to the point where normal hearing(25db HL) will be possible in around 15 years. Right now it's possible to get up to 30db improvement which is still alot!

should you wait for scientific advances that may never come in your lifetime and continue to live with deafness? Or should you take the risk and irreversibly lock your self into Cochlear Implants?

You will still have to live with deafness because a CI does not actually restore any hearing, it just gives you access to sounds similar to a HA. Stem cells is a regenerative way to restore some hearing. I am saving my hearing for stem cells which I could actually get now but id like to wait for the pioneers to go first so I and scientists can learn from their results.

I myself am not going to wait. I'm getting my left ear implanted when medicaid approves of it.

I myself am not going to wait. I'm getting my left ear implanted when medicaid approves of it.

You aren't interested in stem cells in the first place. Even your parents want you to get stem cells but you have told them to stop nagging you and to let you make your choice for CI. Are you going to spend $100,000 on a CI? Ill be spending $30,000 for stem cells.

Her Blog states that she has ossification in the left ear with no hearing at all that she wants to try to implant with a CI. I do not see how stem cells are going to work in an ossified cochlea. Insurance will pay about $50,00o not $100,000. Sounds like she made up her mind.

Her Blog states that she has ossification in the left ear with no hearing at all that she wants to try to implant with a CI. I do not see how stem cells are going to work in an ossified cochlea. Insurance will pay about $50,00o not $100,000. Sounds like she made up her mind.

She was tested recently and does NOT have ossification in either ear! If insurance pays $50,000 then she will need to pay up another $50,000. Her CI center charges $100,000 for CI!

I wouldn't take a CI for free because I do want to wait for stem cells. My parents are excited for me and I am excited to get the chance in as little as 2 years from now once the pioneers get stem cells and I see their results.

Medicaid has covered the full cost of a CI through Rocky Mountain Ear Center for other people. We're waiting on preauthorization to see what they say about covering the costs. And the doctor/surgeon has said he'd even drop his own fees if necessary, etc.

I used not want to have ci until 2004. I had to wait for technology's improve. I earned the education for CI in 2004 until 2008. I researched over the internet and library. I joined to AllDeaf last year ago. Because I was interested into CI and HA forums. I felt comfortable to discuss with other members with CI. They had experience with ci surgery and etc. I felt confidence to get one. Until last Nov I decide to get CI asap. The ENT put me on name on lists for next patients. They said would call me in 3 months. I waited for 3 months until March. I haven't hear from ENT, I called to ENT to see what is up. Finally, They got me schedule for evaluation.

Another saying of my father's seems appropriate here:

"Live with one foot in tomorrow, and one foot in yesterday, and you just end up pissing all over today.":cool2:

yup, why wait for stem cells to hear when you can hear quicker with CI, plus stem cells are in trials and CI's been out for years and many people have it

yup, why wait for stem cells to hear when you can hear quicker with CI, plus stem cells are in trials and CI's been out for years and many people have it

I suggest you read my blog, all the answers are there. I know you already have CI and you don't seem interested in stem cells. However me and my family are excited to see the day I get stem cells.

I suggest you read my blog, all the answers are there. I know you already have CI and you don't seem interested in stem cells. However me and my family are excited to see the day I get stem cells.

Are your family scientists? Are the researchers? Or are they just listening to the drivel you spew everday?

Another saying of my father's seems appropriate here:

"Live with one foot in tomorrow, and one foot in yesterday, and you just end up pissing all over today.":cool2:
Nice....... Never heard that one before but there is truth in it.

I read the link and at the end the poster says;

-Disclaimer
I am by no means a medical expert so this article should be taken with a grain of salt. Even though I did my research thoroughly I suggest you talk to an expert about this issue before making any decisions based on the information I have provided. I am merely trying to explain some of the issues and processes of Cochlear Implants in a simple and non-technical fashion.

Not to slight this person but the article includes mis-information and comments I am sure some in the D/eaf community may find offensive.

You aren't interested in stem cells in the first place. Even your parents want you to get stem cells but you have told them to stop nagging you and to let you make your choice for CI. Are you going to spend $100,000 on a CI? Ill be spending $30,000 for stem cells.

Medicaid only spent about $20,000 on mine. The whole thing was $60 grand but Medicaid negotiated with Cochlear and had the whole thing reduced to about $20 grand and then paid for it in full. I have not paid one single penny nor have I seen one single bill for the CI or the surgery itself and that was three years ago.

DD1, you are being ridiculous.

I wouldn't take a CI for free because I do want to wait for stem cells. My parents are excited for me and I am excited to get the chance in as little as 2 years from now once the pioneers get stem cells and I see their results.

Don't get too excited, or you'll end up in that big black abyss called depression because you've finally realized that stem cells for hearing is just not going to happen for a long time, and you don't want CIs ever.

Medicaid only spent about $20,000 on mine. The whole thing was $60 grand but Medicaid negotiated with Cochlear and had the whole thing reduced to about $20 grand and then paid for it in full. I have not paid one single penny nor have I seen one single bill for the CI or the surgery itself and that was three years ago.

DD1, you are being ridiculous.

Im glad Medicaid got a good deal on this. Hearagain said the hospitals lose money when insurance negotiates the rate this low. How do hospitals stay in business? CDmeggers said she was trying to earn and raise $100,000 for CI. If she can get medicaid to approve, maybe she won't actually have to pay a cent. Hopefully her medicaid can also negotiate the CI cost way down, $100,000 is nuts!

Don't get too excited, or you'll end up in that big black abyss called depression because you've finally realized that stem cells for hearing is just not going to happen for a long time, and you don't want CIs ever.

Been a while since youve posted on Alldeaf. I suggest you read all the stem cell threads, my replies in that thread and my blog(link in sig) your answers are right there. You once said it could take 50 years or even a lifetime before I get a chance to get stem cells. Guess what, a 4 year old got stem cells very recently and his hearing improved significently! That news is on my blog for anyone to read.

deafdude,

I would like to clarify my statement regarding hospitals losing money. That is what I was told by my CI audi. I was told that they lose money on CI surgeries on behalf of Medicaid recipients, but that may vary from state to state. Lucia's surgeon/CI center and Medicaid plan may have made different arrangements with Cochlear than my surgeon/CI center/Medicaid plan. If I confused you, I apologize.

Back