Cochlear Implants Accepted?

What is the drama! :roll: That's no respect to create of thread. She want to know about deaf culture accept CI. I disagree with people's negative posts. It's disrespectful! I am still taking a CI. I don't care what you guys think about me. That's my decide! I am still use ASL and CI. Who cares?? :roll:

If you want to have a CI, go ahead but you better look at ALL of the risks. Also, think about the future. Example: Find out what will happen if your CI break down and can you afford to pay what the insurance won't pay for. Find out the price tag(s) on those parts that you have to pay for.

Lady Sekhment was saying that she is sensitive if BradB08 doesn't get his facts straight. I have read/heard about CIs. I have pointed out what she said is not the same as I was reading online. I don't like when one trivialize some serious risks. I felt that she is glossing over the risks. I have my facts straight and I oppose the use of CI in babies/kids. I don't like that some people are attempting to replace ASL with CI. They are ignoring the fact that CIs could fail later. I don't like it when the little kids have delayed language skills. (Read Shel90's posts about her school being a dumping ground for CI kids who were lagging behind.) I don't like it when the little kids come down with meningitis and died from it because if they weren't implanted, they would be alive. I do care.

Deaf people do know something about CI due to their friend(s) getting one. Did you see me saying that all deaf people shouldn't have CI??? No, just the little ones. I am one of the people who think that the deaf person him/herself have the right to choose CI, not their parents or anybody else.

Let's put this into perspective. Worldwide, about 100 CI users have died in total, mostly with the older AB CIs with the positioner, which is no longer manufacturered and often not having had vaccinations or kept up with them. Also some of the cases have question marks over them in terms of having etiologies of deafness that made them at high risk of meningitis with or without CIs. There is also an unknown percentage of cases who may have got their meningitis through the process of surgery, which it is theorized, may open a pathway for bacteria to get to the brain,

Thank you for the updated information. (Do you have a link on this?) To me, one death is one too many - especially when it is a little kid. That is just me. I don't like it when hearing people are trying to eradicate sign languages becuase I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, it is very useful to the elderly people who can't afford CI or even an hearing aid. Why throw out something that is extremely useful/helpful?

If you want to have a CI, go ahead but you better look at ALL of the risks. Also, think about the future. Example: Find out what will happen if your CI break down and can you afford to pay what the insurance won't pay for. Find out the price tag(s) on those parts that you have to pay for.
[\QUOTE]

:roll: I am not going to listen you. I know it's risk for operation that all. I am not worry. I am only listen to CI user not you. :) That's my decide not you! I will ask my doctor for many questions. I have one cousin who have 2 CI. I haven't see his second ci since he got surgery last March. I will ask to his mom of my cousin the questions. I will see them on Thanksgiving or so. My husband have two insurances from his work. I need it because I has usher syndrome.

My cousin's experience with his first ci wasn't work. He got replacement for another new CI brand for free. Medicaid paid him for CI. He got second CI now. He can speak on phone very well. I was envy. I want to hear on cellphone.

I am not buying your story. Because you're not CI user. It's my decide want to be hear my dad's playing band. I never hear anything. I am not accept to be a deaf. If I get CI. I am sure. I will be proud being deaf with CI. CI is still deaf. I am enough with hearing aids. It's not help me to hear better. It's not very power like CI. I notice that CI is improve than before. :)

You can't prejudge with CI user. It's their decide wanted to hear. The people who is anti-CI. They can't change to CI user people to do. I am not talking about children with CI. I am talking about Adult with CI.

What if your friend get CI. How would you feeling?? Are you going to reject your friend with CI?? Or walk away? You have to learn accept people's decide.

Look at me. I used to against CI when I was teenager until age 22. I cried and felt guilty about against CI. I realized now. The people who are anti-CI and will change their mind and want to get CI. If you're keep talking and against CI. You will change your mind and want to get CI in the future. You never know and you will see it in the future. I'm definably CI will spread to deaf people who want to hear in the future not today. Maybe next 10 to 30 years later. The technology will improve.

You didn't check my posts about Youtube links of CI with ASL user. You will learn it from her. :)

:roll: I am not going to listen you. I know it's risk for operation that all. I am not worry. I am only listen to CI user not you. :) That's my decide not you! I will ask my doctor for many questions. I have one cousin who have 2 CI. I haven't see his second ci since he got surgery last March. I will ask to his mom of my cousin the questions. I will see them on Thanksgiving or so. My husband have two insurances from his work. I need it because I has usher syndrome.

My cousin's experience with his first ci wasn't work. He got replacement for another new CI brand for free. Medicaid paid him for CI. He got second CI now. He can speak on phone very well. I was envy. I want to hear on cellphone.

You can't prejudge with CI user. It's their decide wanted to hear. The people who is anti-CI. They can't change to CI user people to do. I am not talking about children with CI. I am talking about Adult with CI.

You still misunderstood me. Again, I have nothing against adults who went for CI as long as they don't have that attitude as in lording over us and that they understand and accept the risks. It is the children being implanted that I have problem with.

It sounds like your cousin became deaf after he learned to speak. I doubt you would get speech therapy or AVT after you get CI. I noticed that they tend to give those therapies to kids, not to adults. If you do get therapy of any kind, then you are lucky to get that.

This is very interesting debate about CI. Everyone have different options, side effects and research.

I have two cochlear implants. 1st CI since I was 5 years old (18 years ago) and 2nd CI since 5th June 2008 (8 weeks ago). I have no problem during surgeons, infection and other side effects.

I understand there is risk during operation for adults and children. If they want get CI and they have to research what they have risk involved. Always ask doctor or someone who they have CI before you go to the next step or not...

I'm not against someone who is "anti-cochlear implant" just their choose that they doesn't want not mean to "forced" them. If someone who have CI like me and they should respect what we made a choose. I have few deaf friends who they dislike CI doesn't mean they "Anti-cochlear implant". Just respect their point of views and culture.

Cheers,
Geek chick

That's the right thing to do. Do your research about the risks and make your own decisions. I'm not saying do not look at the information provided by people who are not favourable about CIs but their viewpoints have to be taken into account in the context of the particular information provided (as with any viewpoint - I hasten to add).

:gpost:

You still misunderstood me. Again, I have nothing against adults who went for CI as long as they don't have that attitude as in lording over us and that they understand and accept the risks. It is the children being implanted that I have problem with.

It sounds like your cousin became deaf after he learned to speak. I doubt you would get speech therapy or AVT after you get CI. I noticed that they tend to give those therapies to kids, not to adults. If you do get therapy of any kind, then you are lucky to get that.

Yeah I am going to speech therapy before get CI. I will wait for get CI next 2 years later. I am still go to speech therapy at school where my husband is going to college at. (sighing) My cousin forced to her son take a CI when he was 16 months old. I tried to change her mind. She said "Baby is not your baby and none of your business" She didn't accept that her son is deaf. She refused to learn sign languages. It disappointed me. I made mistake for offend her son "deaf". She prefer to say "hearing impaired". I let her go. I will see what is my cousin doing if he don't use sign languages. I'm adult now. It's my choice to get CI. I will still use ASL forever until I die. I don't mean to stop use sign languages when I want to speak without ASL. I will not same as Heather Whitestone. If you know her. She has 2 CI now. She don't use sign languages anymore. She is criticize on deaf community. Because deaf people didn't like her because of oral. They are jealous of her. :dunno:

Back