Cochlear Implants Accepted?

Deaf-CIgirl

Reaction score
I have heard that most people with CI's are not accepted in the Deaf Culture. I have a CI in my right ear and consider myself deaf. I wonder why deaf people do not accept the cochlear implanted people.

:ty:Any comments from you guys would be appreciated:ty:

That is completely false...I am a part of the Deaf community and there are many people with CIs who are a part of the Deaf community.

If the CIers want to be involved in the Deaf community but say they dont need to learn ASL, then yep it would be hard for them to be accepted.

Sure there are a few Deaf people who discriminate people based on what hearing device they wear, how they grew up and on their ASL skills or lack of. They are far few and between.

Thank you

:ty: I am currently in high school learning to sign. I do read lips as a core part of my hearing abilities.

I believe I have been misinstructed about the deaf culture and would like to learn more about it. Maybe even become a part of it.

I have heard that most people with CI's are not accepted in the Deaf Culture. I have a CI in my right ear and consider myself deaf. I wonder why deaf people do not accept the cochlear implanted people.

check it out...

The ASL-Cochlear Implant Community

If you encounter a culturally deaf folks who don't accept you because of your ci then you can walk around this certain folks and still be part of deaf culture. There are two sides of extremes in deaf culture, those who accepts and those who don't accepts.

*shrugs*

cheers!

Any deafie who not accept someone or exclude you is just as shallow as any uneducated hearie who excludes or not accept deafie. Its too bad when anybody treat a person different out of ignorance....and even more disgraceful when a person who can possibly understand or relate still is biased or exclusive.

Any deafie who not accept someone or exclude you is just as shallow as any uneducated hearie who excludes or not accept deafie. Its too bad when anybody treat a person different out of ignorance....and even more disgraceful when a person who can possibly understand or relate still is biased or exclusive.

Well said!!

I believe I have been misinstructed about the deaf culture
You have, believe me. I think that myth tends to be pushed by AG Bad types. Yes, there are some extremists, but overall we have moved on to acceptance!

Eh, it's not that it's not accepted. It's just that many people think that CIs are unnatural, including me. I refused to get one when I was younger for that very reason. It's bad enough when people mock your hearing aids and FM systems. A CI would have been a lot worse.

I do think I could accept a woman with a CI but only if she still uses ASL.

Eh, it's not that it's not accepted. It's just that many people think that CIs are unnatural, including me. I refused to get one when I was younger for that very reason. It's bad enough when people mock your hearing aids and FM systems. A CI would have been a lot worse.

How do you know having a CI is being mocked a lot worse if you never had CI?
I'm actually treated a lot BETTER by the hearing people for having a CI than having Hearing aids. There's still some hearies out there that think deaf people are "deaf, dumb, mute". I just ignore them. They're ignorants.

In a sense, you're saying that having hearing aids is unnatural too? CI is just a device, nothing more. It doesn't make me hearing. It doesn't make me better than you or anyone else.

To DeafCI-Girl - I suggest you to watch the movie The Sound and the Fury. It kind of gives you an idea why. Deaf people feel that the doctors, parents and companies are trying to "cure" deafness by having a CI available, others feel that because many children have CIs and being placed in hearing schools, are reducing the number of "pure deaf" people in Deaf Culture, so they feel that the Deaf Culture is diminishing. I think it's the total opposite. There are some CI users who are still involved with Deaf world, and some CI users are getting more involved which they wouldn't have otherwise (no ASL experience etc).

I'm not sure if my statements are exactly clear...Anyone correct me?
I have never been "mocked" at or never been shunned from other deaf people for having a CI so I cannot give you any personal experience.

Hearing aids don't involve surgical procedures. How could they be unnatural?

And if your only concern is to be accepted by hearing people, that's a poor excuse for getting a CI.

Had to say it.

HOORAAAH!!!! You go!!:rockon:

By the way, don't take what I said personally.

Cochlear implants are a choice. You want it, get it. Don't let the opinions of others cloud your judgment.

You are entitled to your own opinion as any other human is......but that last line epitomizes what I was trying to say in my last enty of this thread. Shame on U

You are entitled to your own opinion as any other human is......but that last line epitomizes what I was trying to say in my last enty of this thread. Shame on U

If this person's only way to communicate is thru ASL then I can undy where he is coming from cuz I have seen what happens in relationships when one person has no oral skills and the other has no ASL skills. It puts a huge huge strain on the relationship due to constant misunderstandings.

I cant imagine being with someone who cant sign again cuz I had several misunderstandings with my ex hubby even though I have good oral skills. Communication was always stilted and twice as difficult.

I do not mind having friends who do not know any ASL or any sign language because I do not have to live with them. If I am going to live with someone, that person needs to be able to communicate in my language just I will use my oral skills to encompenstate for lack of understanding in some areas. My hubby and I are a perfect example of that.

I could be wrong about that person's reason but before u say "shame on you" maybe try to see it from that person's view. It is possible it is a communication preference to avoid additional stress on the relationship.

I could be wrong about that person's reason but before u say "shame on you" maybe try to see it from that person's view. It is possible it is a communication preference to avoid additional stress on the relationship.

Exactly. I have dated hearing women and they've all been too patronizing of my deafness and I don't want people who date me just because I'm Deaf and they want a free way to learn ASL. I communicate very well orally and with ASL.

I strongly refuse to encourage ANY people to get CI but I do encourage them to explore their options others than getting CI as well as obtaining a better understanding of how CI works and the risk. I am REALLY, VERY against CI but I do have friends with CI, I remain to respect them in all of the aspects. It's their decision and I am here to hand my supports out to them. I am not against hearing aids but I detest them very much that I stopped using for almost 7 years or so.

one thing that i really hate about this CI or no CI debate is that hearing people just cant seem to understand the deaf people's point of view. there are many aginst CIs and many for it...but all the hearing people understand is that it would help the Deaf integrate into the hearing society. i am not deaf...but the amazing teacher who is teaching me ASL in school was born without one of her ears and is now only about 25% hearing, and that too is fading...she told my class one day to look at the 'need' to integrate the deaf into hearing society...take a deaf person and put them in a room full of hearing people who dont sign and it's akward and hard to understand what's going on, then do the opposite and put one hearing person in a room full of deaf people...who needs to integrate then?

Deafness is not an illness. I wish people would stop treating it as such.

one thing that i really hate about this CI or no CI debate is that hearing people just cant seem to understand the deaf people's point of view.

...she told my class one day to look at the 'need' to integrate the deaf into hearing society...take a deaf person and put them in a room full of hearing people who dont sign and it's akward and hard to understand what's going on, then do the opposite and put one hearing person in a room full of deaf people...who needs to integrate then?

Well said, Rambo.

By the way, don't take what I said personally.

Cochlear implants are a choice. You want it, get it. Don't let the opinions of others cloud your judgment.

I guess you don't see that HAs and CIs are two very different things.

Back