Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately technology being as it is, they have a test that "reads" or moitors the brain activity while they expose you to certain sounds. It's more difficult to misdiagnose a child now a days. Not saying it isn't impossible though.

Those tests have an extremely low reliability. Particularly when being used as a basis for a decision for major surgery on a child that can function perfectly well without surgical intevention. Thei ntervention needs to be environmental. Take those test results and use them as a base for changing that child's environment. That would be much more beneficial. Then children would not be experiencing the kind of language delays that we continue to see even with a CI.

Insecurity. That's pretty much it.

Have you ever noticed how people come here and discuss nothing but their hearing loss have their activation date, hearing aid models, audiogram, etc listed in their signatures?
Yes, we come to the HEARING AIDS & COCHLEAR IMPLANTS forum to talk about our HEARING AIDS & COCHLEAR IMPLANTS. Makes sense to me.

AMEN LoveBlue. I don't understand it either. This is the HA, CI forum not the LETS BASH PARENTS AND USER's Forum's. They think they are adding something good here when all they do is run people off the site that come here looking for support.
:ty:

There are numerous cases of such.

It's basically the main factor in why I am not fully confident on supporting the surgical procedure for babies and toddlers. The audiological evaluation options available out there do not have one hundred percent accuracy.

Hearing itself is considered an important sense to hold onto and that it shouldn't be damaged if preventable.

Nor did I. Get a grip on yourself. This is problem of you interjecting your own insecurities on my words and selectively reading. It is not a problem with anything I said.

I think the one who needs to get a grip is yourself. This thread had nothing to do with children and you brought them up. THis thread was about Zack looking for support from USER'S not people that think they know what the device does.

I see where you are coming from, but need to caution you that you are making these assumptions based on an emotional transference of your own experience in becoming deaf. There are years and years and years of research, case studies, longitudinal studies, and anecdotal evidence that your perspective is what creates the damage to a child's natural adaptation by believing that hearing society can "fix" something that isn't wrong, it is just different.

I find it sad that you don't see below the surface of deafness. There is such a beautiful amazing world there that could expand your life. But you have to open yourself to it instead of trying to get rid of it.

Actually the hearing society is trying to fix something that is wrong which would be the absence of your fifth sense.

And in the hearing world we also have a beautiful amazing world that can expand your life. We call it music. We use it as a way to escape from certain pains, or to help us know that someone else is going through the same thing we are. As you say ya'll have merely adapted to a life without hearing.

Insecurity. That's pretty much it.

Have you ever noticed how people come here and discuss nothing but their hearing loss have their activation date, hearing aid models, audiogram, etc listed in their signatures?

Which tells me that they have adjustment issues, and are not dealing with the psycho-social issues underlying. They are confusing two different things.

Fortunately technology being as it is, they have a test that "reads" or moitors the brain activity while they expose you to certain sounds. It's more difficult to misdiagnose a child now a days. Not saying it isn't impossible though.

Even with these tests, they still get misdiagnosed.

It's basically the main factor in why I am not fully confident on supporting the surgical procedure for babies and toddlers. The audiological evaluation options available out there do not have one hundred percent accuracy.

Hearing itself is considered an important sense to hold onto and that it shouldn't be damaged if preventable.

Exactly. Change the environment. That is not irreversible.

Blah Blah Blah you think you know ohh so much about people. When you are one of the main reason's threads get locked here. And turn things that were never meant to be a debate but someone seeking advice and you twist things into such a way that it becomes a debate. Whatever jillio it must truely suck being you.

Yes, we come to the HEARING AIDS & COCHLEAR IMPLANTS forum to talk about our HEARING AIDS & COCHLEAR IMPLANTS. Makes sense to me.

We are talking about it. By the way, I wear a hearing aid.

Actually the hearing society is trying to fix something that is wrong which would be the absence of your fifth sense.

And in the hearing world we also have a beautiful amazing world that can expand your life. We call it music. We use it as a way to escape from certain pains, or to help us know that someone else is going through the same thing we are. As you say ya'll have merely adapted to a life without hearing.

Perhaps someday you will get it. Currently, you are still too busy trying to be as much of a hearing person as you can be. I do hope that soon you will begin to deal with your loss on a more in depth level. Your life will be much less miserable. A continual focus on the negative brings nothing but more negativity and unhappiness.

And, it might do you well to read a little deaf history in regard to hearing society trying to fix deaf people. You have naively opened a huge can of worms there.:cool2:

We are talking about it. By the way, I wear a hearing aid.

Perhaps one of the CI forums would be more appropriate for those that are overly sensitive to anything that contradicts the world they have built for themselves?

Blah Blah Blah you think you know ohh so much about people. When you are one of the main reason's threads get locked here. And turn things that were never meant to be a debate but someone seeking advice and you twist things into such a way that it becomes a debate. Whatever jillio it must truely suck being you.

Get over yourself. And no, it is really very lovely being me. I don't carry around the misery you seem to carry around.

You have every right to be miserable of loosing your hearing if that is what you choose for yourself. However, you do not, I repeat, do not, have any right to project your misery all over everyone else. It is yours to deal with.

And, obviously, I know much more about people than you do. But that is neither here nor there. After all, you are complaining that this is a CI forum. Stick to discussions about CI.

Uhhh...I wasn't being sarcastic. The descriptions posted on here of the surgery and the after effects don't make me want to run out and put any child through that kind of torture. Certainly not when it isn't necessary.

To jillio. You did actually describe the surgery as a kind of torture.. And you use the word pain numerously..

Thats just it... This is our world our lives a place for us to come to not for hearies thinking ohhh CI is bad , The surgery is torture, ASL is better.... I dont believe that the creater of this site thought of this to be a place for people to come and tell people that they have made a grave mistake in implanting their child. And that they are ruining Deaf culture. I believe he had envisioned a place for users to come and speak to one another and get advice on how to cope with using the device's

Get over yourself. And no, it is really very lovely being me. I don't carry around the misery you seem to carry around.

You have every right to be miserable of loosing your hearing if that is what you choose for yourself. However, you do not, I repeat, do not, have any right to project your misery all over everyone else. It is yours to deal with.

And, obviously, I know much more about people than you do.

What misery am i projecting here? hmmmm I believe I am discussing my CI with people. Not projecting that I think they are doing the wrong thing. I have every right to call you out on for your repeated ANTI-CI posting on a CI forum. I believe its you who loves to pass misery upon others.

thats just it... This is our world our lives a place for us to come to not for hearies thinking ohhh ci is bad , the surgery is torture, asl is better.... I dont believe that the creater of this site thought of this to be a place for people to come and tell people that they have made a grave mistake in implanting their child. And that they are ruining deaf culture. I believe he had envisioned a place for users to come and speak to one another and get advice on how to cope with using the device's
agree!!

To jillio. You did actually describe the surgery as a kind of torture.. And you use the word pain numerously..

Are you telling me that there is no pain involved? And from the perspective of a young child who does not even have the laguage skills necessary to be warned of anything to come, it is perceived as torture. As well as betrayal by the parents who are supposed to protect him or her, not hand him or her over to strangers to create pain for them.

Get out of your own house and see things through another's window. Your experience is not universal. Develop a little empathy before making your recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back