Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness. If you drove a car, I would hazard to imagine it goes like this: Drphil hits a car, slips the gear into reverse for a meter, then slips it into forward hitting the car again... For about 100 times.

Matajan would do it a bit differently. He hits a car, backs up hits it at another angle repeats all around the car for at least 1000 times.

:laugh2:

AMEN LoveBlue. I don't understand it either. This is the HA, CI forum not the LETS BASH PARENTS AND USER's Forum's. They think they are adding something good here when all they do is run people off the site that come here looking for support.

So, you are in favor of parents getting innaccurrate information? You see no need for parents to have an accurrate perception of what their young child will experience with a CI?

No one is bashing parents or users. We are simply presenting the other side of the coin. Evidently that bothers you. Why?

IMHO it should be it's own thread so we can find it. Also, this forum, HAs and CIs should be for those of us who wear HAs and CIs. I don't know why all the anti-CIers and people who don't have HAs or CIs have to come here and belittle us.
I just hope the AllHearing.com website gets up-to-speed. Then I'll have somewhere to go where I feel I belong though I am physically deaf and should feel welcomed here.

You are talking about social and emotional issues that have virtually nothing to do with the CI. Those are the issues that are discussed in the Late-Deafened thread. The problem arises when some turn emotional in a discussion of mechanics. Then someone gets their feelings hurt and gets overly defensive. Discuss the emotional issues in an appropriate place and that doesn't happen.

So, you are in favor of parents getting innaccurrate information? You see no need for parents to have an accurrate perception of what their young child will experience with a CI?

No one is bashing parents or users. We are simply presenting the other side of the coin. Evidently that bothers you. Why?

Insecurity. That's pretty much it.

Have you ever noticed how people come here and discuss nothing but their hearing loss have their activation date, hearing aid models, audiogram, etc listed in their signatures?

Well personally I feel that if someone is deaf ( a child for instance) that it is much better to get them implanted while their young as opposed to them growing up being told about all these great things they are missing out on and then deciding well i'll get a CI.

Getting a CI while young is much better than waiting until your older, especially if you have no hearing to begin with. When you get a CI young you have almost no memory of surgerys and such that happen when you are young. I personally have been having surgery's since i was 4 and don't remember any of them up until i was 13.

Honestly although your child may go through pain during the recovery, they won't remember any of it. I however will remember the pain that I have went through during recovery. Which i must say isn't that much at all, especially if your taking the pain medication.

I really think that it's selfish of you to keep your child from hearing. Do you know what it's like to hear?? I thought not. So you don't know what you are keeping your child from, apparently he is 25 now and supposedly doesn't regret it..

As far as surgery risks.. Go to a good doctor to get it performed, don't go to some local guy who smokes weed on the weekends. Go to someone who is good. Surgery risks are very high risks, but if you follow all the procedures you don't have anything to worry about. Re-implantation is not that big of a deal. The surgery actually isn't as long from what I hear. And there probably isn't as much swelling and stuff.

You may think that you are perfectly fine without hearing, but I beg to differ. Sure this is a post from someone who has had hearing most his life. But it has made me able to do many more things like listening to music. Playing games with your eyes closed. There are disadvantages to being deaf. Again i'm not saying i'm cured by getting this but its like taking medicine for a head ache. When you have it, it helps.

Honestly I think most of you are being childish in your repeated arguing. Some people want there kid to have hearing, just because you are just fine without it doesn't mean your child will feel the same way. If you want the best for your child give him every opportunity he has, don't limit him because he can't hear anything.

And on the no pain while deaf thing. My ears have been ringing quite loudly ever since i became deaf.. I don't know if that occurs in people who are naturally deaf, but it is really unpleasant and at times somewhat painful. And before you try to say this is from being implanted, it isn't because it's in both ears..

Stop arguing you guys, and girls.. I cot on here yesterday to look and i come back today and have 3 new pages full or arguing..

I'm curious. Why would you implant a child as young as possible? Given the environment to adapt, the human will, and he will miss nothing of life in the process. Attempt to force a natural adaptation with intervention, and you mess up the tremendous skills they naturally acquire. How many generations have to pass by before people open their eyes and realize it isn't working.:roll:

LOL K. So your sarcastic post 3 pages ago was giving accurate information right? Yeah I thought so. Thats what bothers me. You might think it was funny but many of us do not.

Because your "other side of the coin" seems to be muddied with opinions.
How about letting the parents use their intelligence and knowledge to decipher what they read from CI users and make their own decisions. I'm sure most of them are smart enough to take what CI users say "with a grain of salt".
And apparently you can't "HEAR" because more than one of us has complained about the bashing. Isn't that why some of these threads have to be closed?

Zebadee, well done... for saying this and those people will probably shoot me when i have said my piece. I have always felt that i am in the middle, I do agree with you about people's mind about not implanting children when they are very young, although they (the born deaf) are happy with their lives doesn't mean other people's life is same. And the hearing have no idea but thinks they know better when they don't have hearing loss themselves!

After months of reading alot of debates/posts, I realised I do lead very isolated life, I am glad I got my CI because I am able to hear my hearing friends at work without them feeling funstrated getting my attention or me misunderstanding them but they had been fanastic with me for example making sure I don't go to the store room on my own (no flashing alert if there's fire), and if i have problem with customer, they step in so it's all about GIVE and TAKE. The CI had open up my horizons, Next week I will be starting my new job a all hearing school supporting a child (1-1) with mild learning difficulties with NO ASSISTANCE (might need FM system though but will see how I fare), this would have not happen if I didn't have CI. Tomorrow I would find out if I am made permanment at my part time job (working 2/3 evenings a week and school holidays), this would be the first perm job since I left school 13 years ago! This would be a huge confidence boost as I wasn't getting much luck in jobs due to people's attidude with my deafness, my low self esteem.

I am not afraid to say if my kid were born profoundly deaf (if my deafness are genetic it might happen), he/she will be implanted as soon they allow as I won't allow my kid grow up facing the difficulties I had. And with today's society MOST deaf children are mainstreamed with minimal support, and having had worked in a school with deaf unit, the children are way way behind (by 3/4 years) since they had been pulled out of classes so many times. My kid would probably have to be mainstreamed, I would allow it but as long he/she had appropriate language skills and listening skills to be fully involved with the peers of same age and not to be pulled out for "extra english when they are capable of doing french lesson or music like their peers". And I will do the rest fighting for his/her rights. If my Kid are not able to be fully involved, I would consider sending him/her to my old Oral Deaf School since it's smaller classes, have music and uses foregin language also the teachers have better understanding with deaf children but it comes at cost though (more expensive than Eton College!!). And of course they'll learn sign language too.

Yes, I do get loud ringing and I have been deaf since I was born. It had improved since I had the CI (over powers the loudness of tinnitius) With HA I noticed, with CI I don't.
I am not in any pains from deafness or with my CI. I am suffering with the society pain.

LOLOLOLOL. you guys just love to push people from the site that come here looking for people that HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH HA OR CI. Not people giving their .02 on what they think the devices do and dont do for someone.

How about letting the parents use their intelligence and knowledge to decipher what they read from CI users and make their own decisions.

Believe it or not, they do let the parents decide for themselves. It's that some of the parents end up getting overly defensive with the members here that makes it seems otherwise.

LOLOLOLOL. you guys just love to push people from the site that come here looking for people that HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH HA OR CI. Not people giving their .02 on what they think the devices do and dont do for someone.

Nailed it. :applause:

I'm curious. Why would you implant a child as young as possible? Given the environment to adapt, the human will, and he will miss nothing of life in the process. Attempt to force a natural adaptation with intervention, and you mess up the tremendous skills they naturally acquire. How many generations have to pass by before people open their eyes and realize it isn't working.:roll:

When you find out a child is deaf it its better to implant them as soon as possible to help with speech development and "natural" hearing techniques. After being deaf for so long the body adapts and starts learning bad grammar and such which (no offense) is displayed in the forum greatly. When you implant them early they have a better chance of learning to speak and read without confusion. If you try to give them hearing after they have already learned this process they tend to get confused or frustrated when they learn that they have been pronouncing things wrongly all along.

The only tremendous skill that I see coming from this is the ability to ignore someone while they are trying to "talk" to you. Sure your senses may become better because you lack one of the five. But that's just it, you lack one of the five senses.

LOL K. So your sarcastic post 3 pages ago was giving accurate information right? Yeah I thought so. Thats what bothers me. You might think it was funny but many of us do not.

That post that you continually and wrongly call "sarcastic" was repeating what deaf CI users in this thread were saying. So you tell me...was it accurrate?

Seriously, you need to pay a bit more attention to who says what. Deaf CI users were discussion the pain and the surgical procedures. All I posted was my reaction to what they were saying. And you cannot judge that as accurate or innaccurate information because it was a statement of my personal reaction and nothing more.

But thanks for a perfect example of over-reating and overly defensive in the post I am now replying to.

When you find out a child is deaf it its better to implant them as soon as possible to help with speech development and "natural" hearing techniques. After being deaf for so long the body adapts and starts learning bad grammar and such which (no offense) is displayed in the forum greatly. When you implant them early they have a better chance of learning to speak and read without confusion. If you try to give them hearing after they have already learned this process they tend to get confused or frustrated when they learn that they have been pronouncing things wrongly all along.

I know children who have been misdiagnosed with hearing loss until they were 3 or older.

The only tremendous skill that I see coming from this is the ability to ignore someone while they are trying to "talk" to you. Sure your senses may become better because you lack one of the five. But that's just it, you lack one of the five senses.

I see where you are coming from, but need to caution you that you are making these assumptions based on an emotional transference of your own experience in becoming deaf. There are years and years and years of research, case studies, longitudinal studies, and anecdotal evidence that your perspective is what creates the damage to a child's natural adaptation by believing that hearing society can "fix" something that isn't wrong, it is just different.

I find it sad that you don't see below the surface of deafness. There is such a beautiful amazing world there that could expand your life. But you have to open yourself to it instead of trying to get rid of it.

That post that you continually and wrongly call "sarcastic" was repeating what deaf CI users in this thread were saying. So you tell me...was it accurrate?

Seriously, you need to pay a bit more attention to who says what. Deaf CI users were discussion the pain and the surgical procedures. All I posted was my reaction to what they were saying. And you cannot judge that as accurate or innaccurate information because it was a statement of my personal reaction and nothing more.

But thanks for a perfect example of over-reating and overly defensive in the post I am now replying to.

HAHA jillio please your humor is too much.. I read what the CI users said.. and nowhere did they use sarcasm and using children as a scare tactic... or did they use the terms TORTURE OR SEVERE PAIN.

I know children who have been misdiagnosed with hearing loss until they were 3 or older.

Fortunately technology being as it is, they have a test that "reads" or moitors the brain activity while they expose you to certain sounds. It's more difficult to misdiagnose a child now a days. Not saying it isn't impossible though.

HAHA jillio please your humor is too much.. I read what the CI users said.. and nowhere did they use sarcasm and using children as a scare tactic... or did they use the terms TORTURE OR SEVERE PAIN.

Nor did I. Get a grip on yourself. This is problem of you interjecting your own insecurities on my words and selectively reading. It is not a problem with anything I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back