**cleaning my hearing aids?**

HOH33stars

Reaction score
hey all!
big question! i don't want my ear mold to get all "yellow" and gross and i know i definitely don't want it getting clogged up! the tools i was given (the little wire tool) doesn't really help get the junk out of the ear mold hole...and the only other thing i was told to clean my molds with were a soft cloth to wipe them off. I read that you can soak them in warm soapy water...but can anyone explain what works the best (first time aid user-bare with me! i wasn't given much explanation for these...)
are you able to use alcohol? is there something else to soak them in? i just want them to last and actually get clean...prevent them from getting gross and yellow...etc. i really need these to last for a very very veryyyy long time...

Soft ear molds will get more yellow regardless what you do..i mean they can be less yellow but they will turn yellow! lol i have hard ear molds so its easier to clean but i use soap and water and sometimes i use the end of a paper clip to clean the vent lol..i prolly shouldn't..butttt what can ya do...i am careful lol i'm not sure if alcohol is a good idea since its silicone and it may make the molds break down quicker..just clean them every night i would say if u dont want them to get yucky..

When I wore hearing aids, I wiped the aids clean with a soft cloth. I also found that putting them into a Dry and Store helped sanitize them and remove bacteria. As for the (hard) earmolds, like Alicia I cleaned them with soap and water. Although I cleaned the earmolds every night, they still became yellow over time. To clean the vent holes in the earmolds I used a special instrument that was included with my HAs.

All I got with my ha was a little brush..so, I went online and found a ha care kit. It has the brush, a wax removal tool, a cleaner that I spray on the mold and wipe off and a dry aid container. I added a lotion to make it easier to put the mold in, though that I only used at first, plus an anti-itch lotion.
And, no way around it, the mold does yellow over time..

to get ear wax out of the earmold tubing... I use paper clips and just keep working at it until I get all the wax out. As for the earmold, since it's like... Silicone I think, it's easy to clean the wax off of it and it doesn't turn yellowish from earwax.

I take the mold off the hearing aid and blow on the end of the tube that is attached to the HA. It usually pushes the was out of the tube. For the vent I just a paper clip and slow push it through the hole. Becareful and try not to create a new hole! LOL

As for yellow, live with it is all I can tell you. 26 yrs with wearing hearing aids and I've tried it all.

YAY no more vents in my earmold! They always result in a lot of squealing from my hearing aid so the audie would always have to plug it up, and the plug wouldn't always stay in. Got to love new, perfect fit, vent free, customized earmolds.

hey all!
big question! i don't want my ear mold to get all "yellow" and gross and i know i definitely don't want it getting clogged up! the tools i was given (the little wire tool) doesn't really help get the junk out of the ear mold hole...and the only other thing i was told to clean my molds with were a soft cloth to wipe them off. I read that you can soak them in warm soapy water...but can anyone explain what works the best (first time aid user-bare with me! i wasn't given much explanation for these...)
are you able to use alcohol? is there something else to soak them in? i just want them to last and actually get clean...prevent them from getting gross and yellow...etc. i really need these to last for a very very veryyyy long time...

I use very little dish soap in a glass with warm water and let the earmolds sit for a few minutes to get the stuff off. I also use a portion of a paper towel and clean them in the water. When rinsing, I let the water run in the glass over my hand covering the top so the molds don't get out. I have a squeezer to shoot air through the pipe to get the water out. When I can't find said squeezer, I have the ear molds sit overnight in the open to dry out. In the morning, I shake them to make sure all water is out.

hey all!
Hi,i have found by applying a little coconut oil daily to the mold after cleaning helps,my molds are only very slightly yellow after 6 months

I separate the tubes from the molds and place them in a cup of very hot water for about two minutes. Once I remove them the remaining gunk on them comes off very easily with a paper towel and the brush. I also take a very small piece of Kleenex and ball it up astick it in the tube and then using a paper clip I swab it through the tube and remove any remaining wax. Once done they look as good as the day I got them.

Good grief . You can replace the tube easily. I do it often because I like colored tubes and accessorizing, but it's cheaper and more sanitary even for clear to just replace them.

Use Pipe Cleaners to clean the tubes and earmold holes, can buy at walgreens where they sell tobbacco products, or in arts and crafts.

Use Pipe Cleaners to clean the tubes and earmold holes, can buy at walgreens where they sell tobbacco products, or in arts and crafts.

Yep a big bag of pipe cleaners and you are good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I use part savlon or dettol with water and my silicone earmolds don't go yellow, not even a touch of yellow even after a year. They still look brand new!

Back