Cities with nicknames

racheleggert

Reaction score
I wonder does cities near you have nickname and abboveration (sp?) ? Some cities in Minnesota does...

1) Minneapolis- City of Lakes because of so many lakes in one major cities. It is also called Murderapolis (that is true!) Because Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper called them that due to high crime such as murders years ago.. Abb. name is Mpls

Minneapolis-St. Paul is nicknamed Twin Cities because they are so close to eachother, just across Mississippi River, so that where MN MLB team get name: Twins

St. Paul- Minnesota's Capitol City, of course its seat of Minnesota Government. Nicknames keep on changing when new mayor swears in. I forget what it is now...

For some who don't know.

Los Angles, CA- City of Angels in spanish.

Las Vegas, NV- Sin City because of legal prousitution and gambling/drinking, which are illegal in bible and religion. "When something happens, it stays in Vegas"

New York City NY- Big Apple Can anyone help me with why they called it?

Washington DC- Nation's Capitol City because where US Government is at.

Detroit MI- Motown.. I guess it has to do with major Ford plant being there (carmaker)

Does anyone know more nicknames for major cities in US? That are all I know of.

City of Roses here ..Portland has the 3 week long Rose Festival held every June and we have the largest public international rose gardens here.

People confuse us with Pasadena due to their Rose Bowl and their parade but we are the only and one :thumb:

Beantown here - Boston, Massachusetts

Why is Boston called Beantown?

"Back in colonial days, a favorite Boston food was beans baked in molasses for several hours. Back then, Boston was sort of awash in molasses - it was part of the "triangular trade" in which slaves in the Caribbean grew sugar cane to be shipped to Boston to be made into rum to be sent to West Africa to buy more slaves to send to the West Indies. Even after the end of this practice, Boston continued as big rum producing city - the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 (which killed 21), ocurred when a tank holding molasses for rum production exploded."

http://www.boston-online.com/faq.html#beantown

NYC, the Big Apple.........The Mini-Apple=Minneapolis

Denver, Colorado is called the Mile High City and darn proud of it

Good topic!

Atlanta: several nicknames like; Phatlanta, Hotlanta, Itlanta, The Big A, World's Next Great International City, City Too Busy To Hate, Dogwood City, Gate City of the South, New York City of The South, and some other nicknames.

Indianapolis: nicknames like; Nap Town, Circle City, and Railroad City.

Memphis: nicknames like; Birthplace of the Blues, Bluff City, Home of the Blues, River City, and Birthplace of Rock 'n Roll.

Chattanooga (Tenn): nicknames like; The Scenic City and The Scenic Center of the South.

Nashville-Davidson County (Tenn): nicknames like; Music City, Music City USA, The Athens of the South, and Country Music Capital of the World.

Knoxville (Tenn): nicknames like; Heart of the Valley, Big Orange, Big Orange Country, K-Town, Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains.

Chicago, Illinois - "Windy City". I dont know why it got this nickname but perhaps it got alot of winds and skyscapes. Also, it got another nickname: "Skyline city". I just saw that nickname on highway sign while I pass the city.

Nicknames for San Diego? Well the natives would dub it as "Sunny Diego", "Sandy Diego", etc... but when we want to put some 'fancy' to our city, we just say "America's Finest City".... :) Yeah, we are snotty! :laugh2:

Las Vegas, NV- Sin City because of legal prousitution and gambling/drinking,
Isn't it funny that Las Vegas sounds so much like Lost Wages?
The town where I go to college is nicknamed Whip City...there's a place in town which still sells whips and novelties...everytime I pass that place I always think "What type of novelties? S&M?" :mrgreen:
New Bedford which is near my hometown is called the Whaling City or Little Portugal b/c there are so many Portugese people living there.

racheleggert said:
Las Vegas, NV- Sin City because of legal prousitution and gambling/drinking, which are illegal in bible and religion.

Actually, prostitution is illegal in Clark County. You gotta drive over the hump to Pahrump to get humped.

racheleggert said:
Washington DC- Nation's Capitol City because where US Government is at.

actually its just called "Nation's Capitol" dropping the "city" part LOL -- DC is also known as "downtown", DC was also once known as the most homicidical city in the nation back in the 80s with the peak number of homicides topping 900 in a year due to the crack cocaine epidemic and the idiot former Mayor Marion Barry who eventually got busted and did time for crack -- current DC Mayor is Anthony Williams and so far hes done wonders for DC :thumb:

St Louis is just known as "STL" boring i think LOL but state is known as "Show Me" and ofc STL is well known by the classic musical movie "Meet Me In St Louis!" :lol:

forgot to note the obvious -- Washington DC is known just simply as "DC" since im always saying "DC" instead of saying it in full :lol:

Philadelphia, "City of Brotherly Love" (established by Quakers in 1700s), also known as Philly

Atlantic City, "The Las Vegas of the East," "America's Playground"

I don't know any nickname for Salt Lake City though.

Toronto: T.O.

People are just too plain lazy to say the full word "Tor-on-to". Apparently enunciating 3 syllabels is a little too hard for some people, so they abreviate it to the only 2 letters the word itself says. Isn't that magical?

My congressional friends are totally lazy, they would say I am gonna be in, came from and anything mention "DC".. They doesn't spell Washington.. I guess they are lazy to spell full but I know what they are talking about anyways....

Fly Free said:
forgot to note the obvious -- Washington DC is known just simply as "DC" since im always saying "DC" instead of saying it in full :lol:

My old high school tend to call our rival school, South St. Paul "Cowstown" because their macsot is steer (cows), called "Packers. The history is that South St. Paul used to have meat packing facatory, stockyards before they were torn down in late 1980's. Some of my friends who graduated from SSP HS asked me why I chose Simley over SSP, I said oh well I rather go school close to my home.

knightwolf68 said:
u know that in old times we used to be called COW CITY

Attachments

• SSPcow.jpg
    SSPcow.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 88
Back