CI Surgery approved today

when I go for new MAPs, my audiologist always saves the old program I used on 1 slot, and makes 2 new maps for the other 2 slots on my processor. That way I can go back to the old program if I need to, if the new one isn't working out well for whatever reason.

I will definitely ask these things when I see my audi. Cochlear just sent me an email that my two refurbished CI's are on the way. Hopefully they are programmed correct and things get better from here on out.

I understand my situation is difficult, I just need to work on things now that I have found an audi who understands me.

having an audie who understands you and understands the process is most certainly much more helpful, so hopefully things will go much more smoothly now for you!

Got up early so I don't miss FED-EX....Cochlear's package due to arrive soon.
They sent two packages, one for each CI, two different tracking numbers, but it looks like they will arrive at the same time.

***As I was typing this FED-EX rang my bell. Opening packages now and hoping everything is correct!!!!

Both CI's work which is amazing. Only issue I have now is with my newer mapping. I can't hear the tv. Very distorted.

So next question to my Cochlear friends.....what is the best way to watch tv? What program do you use? What setting on your CI do you use, program 1,2,3 and what are your volume and sensitivity levels? I know we are all different, just curious what others do.

Have any of you tried the TV cable that you can plug into your CI?

Both CI's work which is amazing. Only issue I have now is with my newer mapping. I can't hear the tv. Very distorted.

So next question to my Cochlear friends.....what is the best way to watch tv? What program do you use? What setting on your CI do you use, program 1,2,3 and what are your volume and sensitivity levels? I know we are all different, just curious what others do.

Have any of you tried the TV cable that you can plug into your CI?

TV Cable? If you are referring to the Direct Audio Input cable, do not attempt to plug it into your TV and processor. It is meant for non-wall-powered devices like your cell phone/mp3 player.

As for your new programming, it may be an issue of needing it to settle in before the TV starts to sound right. How does everything else sound?

TV Cable? If you are referring to the Direct Audio Input cable, do not attempt to plug it into your TV and processor. It is meant for non-wall-powered devices like your cell phone/mp3 player.

As for your new programming, it may be an issue of needing it to settle in before the TV starts to sound right. How does everything else sound?

WOW thanks for replying so quickly. My audi was telling me that there is a plug that you can use for your tv??

I'm home a lot by myself, but when hubby gets home I can hear him pretty well. We went out to the mall then out to lunch and I could not understand what anyone was saying.

With tv if it is just one person speaking and no background music or clapping I can make it out OK but I have to read the CC while listening.

Maybe this is just as good as it is going to get?

Just so I get an idea.....if you are watching TV...what setting do you use? I'm just curious what levels your volume and sensitivity are set at?

WOW thanks for replying so quickly. My audi was telling me that there is a plug that you can use for your tv??

I'm home a lot by myself, but when hubby gets home I can hear him pretty well. We went out to the mall then out to lunch and I could not understand what anyone was saying.

With tv if it is just one person speaking and no background music or clapping I can make it out OK but I have to read the CC while listening.

Maybe this is just as good as it is going to get?

Just so I get an idea.....if you are watching TV...what setting do you use? I'm just curious what levels your volume and sensitivity are set at?

My set up is different from yours since I have Advanced Bionics. Your Audi might have been referring to the mains cable, which is a cable that nullifies the risk of power surges that could damage your implant. I am not sure what is included in your package.

Did you hear the TV much better previously? Has anything improved with the new mapping? New mappings can feel like setbacks initially, but then you learn to tolerate the new voltages. Hearing in noise is always a challenge, so don't be discouraged when you go to a restaurant. It takes time to learn to hear in those situations. For me, it was keeping my brain from trying to follow every conversation.... kind of like a puppy distracted by all the smells in every direction at a dog park.

I don't do anything different when watching TV except for sometimes using wireless headphones, particularly for live broadcasts to make it easy to ignore the captions.

My hub usually turns it up volume that loud. My kids didnt say nothing. LOL Bet they will speak out one day!

My hub usually turns it up volume that loud. My kids didnt say nothing. LOL Bet they will speak out one day!

Lately I have been turning the volume WAY up. It doesn't really help though, everything sounds distorted. I definitely need CC but some shows the CC has a delay and those are just too difficult to watch.

Angel,

Glad your new audi seems to know what they are doing and I hope you will see some improvement. It will take a numerous mapping sessions so I hope you and your new audi will continue to work together.

I use the N5 processor. I use the everyday program when I watch TV but sometimes I use the Music program. I find it the Music program is a bit louder. You can also try using the Audio cable along with the mains isolation cable if your TV has an audio jack.

As for insuring the Cochlear Processors I did take out a service plan from Cochlear. The coverage is not cheap but it was worth every penny when I lost a processor. I had a refurbished processor in two days, btw. You should check with your medical insurance to see if they cover repairs as well as replacement of equipment if the equipment malfunctions. Keep in mind that medical insurance won't cover loss but you can get coverage for one time loss with a service plan. I feel that one might be better off saving some money towards the cost of a new processor. Of course these days that is no easy task.

You might also want to talk to your audi about the N6. If they think the N6 might work better for you perhaps they can convince your insurance company to pay for an upgrade. Then you would start all over with the warranty. If not you might want to try when your processors are over 5 years old.

I had a 2 hour appointment with my Audi today. Booth test with men and women's voices reading sentences. I scored 82% in a totally quiet booth. When she added background noise I failed miserably. Tinnitus was roaring plus I had the sounds of a talk radio station blasting in my ear also the sound of firecrackers non stop....which made it almost impossible.

She made some changes and wants me to come back in six weeks. Right now it sounds awful which is normal after long appointments. I'm OK being deaf it's all the friggin noises that are about to drive me crazy!!

I had a 2 hour appointment with my Audi today. Booth test with men and women's voices reading sentences. I scored 82% in a totally quiet booth. When she added background noise I failed miserably. Tinnitus was roaring plus I had the sounds of a talk radio station blasting in my ear also the sound of firecrackers non stop....which made it almost impossible.

She made some changes and wants me to come back in six weeks. Right now it sounds awful which is normal after long appointments. I'm OK being deaf it's all the friggin noises that are about to drive me crazy!!

The sound of firecrackers would had drove me nuts too. I once too my daughter to see some fireworks that lasted 30 minutes and I could not hear after that, it took awhile for what hearing I do have to come back.

The sound of firecrackers would had drove me nuts too. I once too my daughter to see some fireworks that lasted 30 minutes and I could not hear after that, it took awhile for what hearing I do have to come back.

The firecracker popping noise has been non stop for weeks. Sounds like the grand finale at a fireworks show. I can't hear the tv either right now too much echo. Hopefully it will settle down in a few days. If not I will go back and have my audi switch back to my older mapping.

The mapping I had done yesterday has made things terrible. Feels like I am out in the wind, echo noises etc. So I just emailed my audi to see if my hubby can bring my backup CI in after work and have the old mapping put on that one. Why is this all so difficult for me? For once I would like to be a normal case

The mapping I had done yesterday has made things terrible. Feels like I am out in the wind, echo noises etc. So I just emailed my audi to see if my hubby can bring my backup CI in after work and have the old mapping put on that one. Why is this all so difficult for me? For once I would like to be a normal case

As most of you know, I don't have a CI. But . . .from reading here I thought most times the old program was left in one of the other slots to be switched to by the patient in just such cases as this. Not that it would be left that way but to make things easier until the next appointment.

The firecracker popping noise has been non stop for weeks. Sounds like the grand finale at a fireworks show. I can't hear the tv either right now too much echo. Hopefully it will settle down in a few days. If not I will go back and have my audi switch back to my older mapping.

Is the firecracker noise actually firecrackers, or is it tinnitus? I was just curious as you said it has been going on for weeks. That must totally suck! They were going off last night somewhere near my house (hubby could hear them) but I didn't. Even with the windows open. They must have been further away.

As most of you know, I don't have a CI. But . . .from reading here I thought most times the old program was left in one of the other slots to be switched to by the patient in just such cases as this. Not that it would be left that way but to make things easier until the next appointment.

it might depend on the audiologist, and the client involved. My audiologist always keeps my most used old program on another slot for me to access should I not like the newer programs. I've never needed to go back to the old program, but it's nice to know it's there just in case.

But doesn't hurt to request this set up from now on, Angel.

Is the firecracker noise actually firecrackers, or is it tinnitus? I was just curious as you said it has been going on for weeks. That must totally suck! They were going off last night somewhere near my house (hubby could hear them) but I didn't. Even with the windows open. They must have been further away.

It's totally tinnitus and I have tried everything to get rid of it. It's non stop 24/7, super, super loud!!! Tomorrow when we go to the fireworks show I am not wearing my CI and I am going to try ear plugs. Most of my tinnitus comes from my non implanted ear. My new audi is going to do some research on this and I hope she can come up with something. It seriously is driving me crazy!!!

I'm not quiet sure if this is possible with Cochlear. For now my hubby is going by my audi on the way home and she is going to put my old mapping on my backup CI.

I feel bad for my audi because it seems everything is backwards for me. She said she took out the echo sounds but there worse now. Sounds like when your out in a really windy day.

Back