CI Surgery approved today

It's totally tinnitus and I have tried everything to get rid of it. It's non stop 24/7, super, super loud!!! Tomorrow when we go to the fireworks show I am not wearing my CI and I am going to try ear plugs. Most of my tinnitus comes from my non implanted ear. My new audi is going to do some research on this and I hope she can come up with something. It seriously is driving me crazy!!!

Question for you. Do you hear anything out of your non-implanted ear? I wonder if you might like to try music to drown out the tinnitus. It works for me. I pick genres of music other than what I normally listen to. So my ears have something different to listen to. And if you can't hear anything in that ear, try the music with your CI in. It's just a suggestion. The theory is that tinnitus is caused by the brain compensating for what it doesn't hear, so giving it sound, and especially something different, helps some people.

Question for you. Do you hear anything out of your non-implanted ear? I wonder if you might like to try music to drown out the tinnitus. It works for me. I pick genres of music other than what I normally listen to. So my ears have something different to listen to. And if you can't hear anything in that ear, try the music with your CI in. It's just a suggestion. The theory is that tinnitus is caused by the brain compensating for what it doesn't hear, so giving it sound, and especially something different, helps some people.

Thanks for the suggestion but my unaided ear has zero remaining hearing. When I got sick I lost all of my hearing both ears. At night I do listen to music in my CI ear for a few hours then I take my CI off.

Thanks for the suggestion but my unaided ear has zero remaining hearing. When I got sick I lost all of my hearing both ears. At night I do listen to music in my CI ear for a few hours then I take my CI off.

I hope you find some peace or quieter noise. Got to be frustrating. I do not have tinnitus at all times, just some of the time. I think it is amplified or triggered by anxiety or tiredness, and I hate it for whenever I do have it, so it must be doubly worse for you. Hugs.

Ahhhhhh have my old mapping on my backup CI, what a difference. I think I'm going to stick with this mapping and be grateful for what hearing I do have.

Just to put this out there, I hope that everyone has the sense to wear ear plugs around fireworks. Anytime you're around loud noise: trains, motorcycles, parades, emergency sirens, rock concerts - always protect your hearing. I used to love going out with my friends for Chinese New Year and believe me, during the Lion Dance, the hearing aids were turned off....have fun this 4th of July but be safe....

Laura

We are going to go find some headphone ear protectors for me before we go to the fireworks show. I will look so classy!!!!!

So a big fear of mine was what would happen if I needed to call 911. Would I be able to understand the 911 operator. Well it happened yesterday, I was able to call and tell them exactly where the accident was.

However I don't think I will ever understand my dentist. With all the drill noises and him wearing a mask makes it nearly impossible.

We are going to go find some headphone ear protectors for me before we go to the fireworks show. I will look so classy!!!!!

Update...the headphones worked great. We bought them at a hunting store. They are made for shooting ranges and we got the one with the highest rating for noise reduction.

Just to put this out there, I hope that everyone has the sense to wear ear plugs around fireworks. Anytime you're around loud noise: trains, motorcycles, parades, emergency sirens, rock concerts - always protect your hearing. I used to love going out with my friends for Chinese New Year and believe me, during the Lion Dance, the hearing aids were turned off....have fun this 4th of July but be safe....

Laura

Yeah, about the emergency siren thing.... if I am on my bicycle, I need to be able to hear them so I can get out of the way quickly if it calls for it. Also need to be able to hear them so I don't get run over accidentally.

I have been thinking about getting my other ear implanted. I sent an email to my audi to see what she thinks. If everything gets approved, I will probably get the N6. Definitely need to make sure I have no allergic reactions this time.

My audi emailed me back. She says I will most likely qualify and will get two N6's. When I'm ready, I need to schedule an appointment with my surgeon first. Most likely will wait until mid next year.

I have an appointment with the CI surgeon next Friday. I'm going bilateral....if I'm approved. Hopefully things will move along fast like they did last time. Only took 12 days from insurance approval to surgery.

I have an appointment with the CI surgeon next Friday. I'm going bilateral....if I'm approved. Hopefully things will move along fast like they did last time. Only took 12 days from insurance approval to surgery.

Good luck. Hope it goes well and your able to get the 2nd :D

Good luck. Hope it goes well and your able to get the 2nd :D

Thank's Scott, my family is divided on wether I should go through another surgery. Hubby thinks I should wait because he thinks something better might be coming out down the line. My girls are very supportive, my mom is on the fence about it. They all remember everything I went through and are worried that surgery might set me back. The CI surgery itself was pretty easy, it was the horrible severe allergic reaction that made things so bad it lasted over 2 months. I was miserable.

If I get approval for the N6 I will get two processors, I can use the other one to replace my N5 and have my N5's for backup. The only really big difference is the N6 has bluetooth but I think that itself will help me a great deal. I just have to wait to see what happens I guess. I'm actually pretty excited for it to happen and I hope it happens fast like last time.

Angel 1989,

I have the col 6 and it works for me.

Telephone too but it takes practice.

Trainman

I'm already second guessing myself......I'm still seeing the CI surgeon on Friday and will see what he says. BUT.....kind of feeling like I'm doing all the work to be able to communicate with everyone. I spent all weekend studying ASL...I'm catching on and I like it.

I'm already second guessing myself......I'm still seeing the CI surgeon on Friday and will see what he says. BUT.....kind of feeling like I'm doing all the work to be able to communicate with everyone. I spent all weekend studying ASL...I'm catching on and I like it.

Nothing wrong with have a CI or two and knowing ASL. :wave:

It depends on your background, if you come from all hearing family and no one signs, it makes it more tempting. If I knew how bad it was going to screw up my motion sickness I may have decided against it. But it was the second implant that did that.

Back