CI on 6 year old.

Why?

beetarehoh has no reason to make up her/his story. I was not surprised after read beetarehoh´s post. It´s the same experience, I withnessed few of many CI children here in Germany. I shared many posts about CI issues what I withnessed and experience from collect CI users and the parents of CI children in the past.

I am total surprised as I visited websites about CI issues... All what I saw is JUST full positive about CI issues. I will never beleive that there´re 100% postive and 0 negative about CI issues because I have seen negative a lot. It´s sad that the doctors put negatives behind and give postive about CI issues to brainwash the parents. It´s sad that the parents are on doctor´s side against CI users or the people who experienced CI users and the parents of CI children.

I find good that the parents are open minded and look both sides between doctors and CI users before they make their decision.

Yes I have seen the children who get re-implant with CI.

I agree with you, I haven't seen no negative about cochlear implants on website, makes me wondered. :hmm:

I believe every surgeries have pro and cons after result goals.

That's terrible what happened to that little boy, shouldn't happened to nobody. :( We all live in a crazy world with crazy people living in it.

That is totally up to you. I am truthfully telling everybody this IS happening. I knew the father for two years, he does not sign and he wears hearing aides himself.

And plus if I were to lie then I'd LOOK stupid!!! I cherish my reputation.

Oh and He works as an intermittent at a state deaf school

beetarehoh

So the father works in a deaf school and knows no ASL? Exactly what state allows someone working with deaf children in a deaf school to have no means of communicating with those children? Maybe it's a verbal school? I do know that here the employees are required to learn ASL if they are not fluent in it when hired. I don't think I've seen one employee who couldnot communicate with the children in the school. the things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, let's see. Implant on right side causes infection, so they take it out and then use it on the left side. Infection heals, put new implant in, infection comes back, take implant out, infection heals, put implant back in. That is a lot different from your story of a child who had to have an implant removed due to failure and then was re-implanted with a newer version.

Justify? Justify what? I am neither so presumptuous or all-knowing to think that I possess all the facts and knowledge that other parents possess in making their decisions. I do not sit and pass judgment on what other parents do for their children. I may or may not agree with their decisions, but it is not my place to pass judgment on them. As a parent who has faced the re-implantation issue, I can understand some of the emotions and issues they faced. You have not.

So no, I will pass on justifying or condemning the actions of others, there's enough people on this board who relish in doing that.

BTW my daughter was re-implanted also with a more current version of the ci.

P.S. I remember those who rushed to defend the validity of the "ci causing the death of children by electrocution" story were remarkably silent when it was exposed as a cruel hoax.

I meant..how do u justify for not believing the story right away? It seems like so many people who support CIs believe all the positive stories but seem doubtful of the negative stories. Yes, there are successful CI users and I know many of them and yes, there are not so successful ones.

So the father works in a deaf school and knows no ASL? Exactly what state allows someone working with deaf children in a deaf school to have no means of communicating with those children? Maybe it's a verbal school? I do know that here the employees are required to learn ASL if they are not fluent in it when hired. I don't think I've seen one employee who couldnot communicate with the children in the school. the things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

It could be a verbal school..anyways, I know of many deaf schools hiring people who dont know sign but usually those people do not work directly with the kids so maybe that is the case in this situation?

I was afraid this will pop up because of confidentiallity. The deaf school is ASL learning environment. The father has nothing to do with the school except he works for transportation department.

He disagrees to place his child in deaf school because of speech delay. I dont need to say anymore because my ASS will be on the line.

Yes its confusing, I am confused myself because he works there.

beetarehoh

I just talked to this man yesterday who is in the 60's adopted a forgien child that is profoundly deaf. He mentioned when his adopted son had CI surgery at age 4 it didnt go well, infection grew so had to remove CI to cure the infection. Doctor use the same CI equipment to the left side of the child's head. That went well. Then when the infection cured on the right side, doctor replanted the new CI back in, infection grew back again so removed again. Now the child is age 6 and his whole right side of face is paralized. That means there was a nerve damage caused by the surgery. It came to my mind: The boy have to deal with the paralized face for the rest of his life. His father said "Well at least he still have hands and feet." With a big smile on his face, acting like there is no problems. He said "In June when my adopted son's infection go away he will go back and still have the surgery on the head so he can have TWO CIs.

At first I wanted to punch his face, but no it is HIS son not mine. :rl:

Oh and He works as an intermittent at a state deaf school.

This is VERY devastating for me. I CANT even imagine how much pain this child is going through and will face in the future.

beetarehoh

So much for those who tell us the risks are minimal! It kills me every time Ihear someone say that, becasue those who make that claim are not the ones being subjected tothe surgery. Of course the risk is minimal if it is happening to someone else!

Yeah, I believe it too dreama. I was being sarcastic. Sorry!

Yeah, I believe it too dreama. I was being sarcastic. Sorry!

It's ok. I was actually refering to Rick's post. It's sad that some people just seem not to want to read anything negative about CI's. I don't understand why they are so defensive. I'm a guide dog handler. Jilli works great for me and I am very fond of her. However I am very aware that there are down sides to guide dog guardianship. If someone says something negative about guide dogs I don't feel it my duty to pounce on them.

It's ok. I was actually refering to Rick's post. It's sad that some people just seem not to want to read anything negative about CI's. I don't understand why they are so defensive. I'm a guide dog handler. Jilli works great for me and I am very fond of her. However I am very aware that there are down sides to guide dog guardianship. If someone says something negative about guide dogs I don't feel it my duty to pounce on them.

Cool--your dog's name is the same as mine! And yes, I agreewith you re: rick's post. He seems to get very defensive, and works overtime to justify his position. Perhaps he is not as secure in his decisions and his belief as he would have us believe.:giggle:

Cool--your dog's name is the same as mine! And yes, I agreewith you re: rick's post. He seems to get very defensive, and works overtime to justify his position. Perhaps he is not as secure in his decisions and his belief as he would have us believe.:giggle:

That's funny because that is exactly what I was thinking about you.

Hi Jillio (and Dreama),

You are an intelligent woman and have written lots of interesting, thought provoking posts but I find it very offputting when you discuss people's personal traits with others on a public forum as if they were not there. I don't think it's very good form and way too personal. Let's just stick to the actual discussion to hand, eh?

So much for those who tell us the risks are minimal! It kills me every time Ihear someone say that, becasue those who make that claim are not the ones being subjected tothe surgery. Of course the risk is minimal if it is happening to someone else!

Actually the risks are miminal. I've had the surgery. Yes things like infections can happen. Life is not guarenteed. Heck my risk was having the possiblity that the CI wouldn't work well for me and I'd be completely deaf in the implanted ear, I've never been completely deaf in either ear. Frustrated trying to understand speech alot but NOT DEAF. That's really scary but you know what the CI was worth the risk.

Yea..I know the feeling.

It's ok. I was actually refering to Rick's post. It's sad that some people just seem not to want to read anything negative about CI's. I don't understand why they are so defensive.

I agreed, I've noticed too. Everything in life has it's flaws, pro and con. :)

Hi Jillio (and Dreama),

You are an intelligent woman and have written lots of interesting, thought provoking posts but I find it very offputting when you discuss people's personal traits with others on a public forum as if they were not there. I don't think it's very good form and way too personal. Let's just stick to the actual discussion to hand, eh?

Sorry you were put off R2D2--the tone was set long ago. And, as those traits are often glarlingly obvious, I didn't realize I was responding in a way that brought anything new to light.

Actually the risks are miminal. I've had the surgery. Yes things like infections can happen. Life is not guarenteed. Heck my risk was having the possiblity that the CI wouldn't work well for me and I'd be completely deaf in the implanted ear, I've never been completely deaf in either ear. Frustrated trying to understand speech alot but NOT DEAF. That's really scary but you know what the CI was worth the risk.

I'm glad that you came through the surgery without complication. However, any invasisve procedure carries significant risk, and any time a general anesthesia is used the risks are significant simply from the anesthesia. The CI not working is not actually a surgical risk.

If anyone out there has been re-implanted or has had a child or spouse re-implanted, did they use the same implant on the other ear or put it back into the same ear?

I have never heard of such a thing happening but would like to know if it does.
Thanks,
Rick

I can't imagine this would happen. The implant is completely sterile before implanting and is only removed from it's little pouch in the OR. They aren't going to take a CI that has to be removed due to infection and put it in the other ear, which would run the risk of transferring the infection to THAT ear. I wouldn't think this would be very sterile even if the ear had no infection.

A reimplant means a new implant.

Sorry you were put off R2D2--the tone was set long ago. And, as those traits are often glarlingly obvious, I didn't realize I was responding in a way that brought anything new to light.

Sorry, I personally think that posters' overall arguments come across much better when they do not resort to becoming personal. I don't see why it's necessary to resort to the same tactics that you say have already been set - it doesn't achieve anything and comes across like the kind of bullying that you see in High School to me.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm glad that you came through the surgery without complication. However, any invasisve procedure carries significant risk, and any time a general anesthesia is used the risks are significant simply from the anesthesia. The CI not working is not actually a surgical risk.

Hmm, you may think that the CI not working is not a risk. Personally the anesthetic part wasn't a big risk to me, I wasn't worried about that at all the risk of doing this elective surgery to me was actually losing the hearing I had. The whole thing was a calculated risk, and the results were great. well worth the risk to associate easily in the world in which I live and work.

people make decisions to be put under anesthesia for elective surgeries all the time. I've made the decision for myself twice in the last 12 months, both times were elective and neither surgery HAD to be done but both improved my life.

I've also made that decision for my daughter 2 or 3 times. once for those tubes in the ear. NOt necessary really but helpful.
She had open heart surgery before her 1st birthday, that was espesically scarey since we let the stop the heart in order to make her life easier. There the big risk was NOT the anesthesia but restarting the heart after removal from the by pass machine. perhaps that's why the surgeries following have been much easier even with the slight risk of the anesthetic.

Back