CI on 6 year old.

Sorry, I personally think that posters' overall arguments come across much better when they do not resort to becoming personal. I don't see why it's necessary to resort to the same tactics that you say have already been set - it doesn't achieve anything and comes across like the kind of bullying that you see in High School to me.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You are absolutely correct. I will hold myself to higher standards in the future. :ty:

Hmm, you may think that the CI not working is not a risk. Personally the anesthetic part wasn't a big risk to me, I wasn't worried about that at all the risk of doing this elective surgery to me was actually losing the hearing I had. The whole thing was a calculated risk, and the results were great. well worth the risk to associate easily in the world in which I live and work.

people make decisions to be put under anesthesia for elective surgeries all the time. I've made the decision for myself twice in the last 12 months, both times were elective and neither surgery HAD to be done but both improved my life.

I've also made that decision for my daughter 2 or 3 times. once for those tubes in the ear. NOt necessary really but helpful.
She had open heart surgery before her 1st birthday, that was espesically scarey since we let the stop the heart in order to make her life easier. There the big risk was NOT the anesthesia but restarting the heart after removal from the by pass machine. perhaps that's why the surgeries following have been much easier even with the slight risk of the anesthetic.

Loosing your residual hearing is a given, not a risk, A risk is a calculated probability of a complication. And anytime that someone undergoes a general anesthesia, there is a risk of brain damage from oxygen depletion.

Loosing your residual hearing is a given, not a risk, A risk is a calculated probability of a complication. And anytime that someone undergoes a general anesthesia, there is a risk of brain damage from oxygen depletion.
Everytime you get in your car,
Everytime you get on a plane,
Everytime you cross the road,
etc, etc.....

etc, etc.....

So that means you already expected that your daughter might die? Nice. Sounds like a long haul of dreadful thought about your daughter.

etc, etc.....

Are you talking about the danger? if so how is this related to this thread here?

:ugh3:

Cloggy was trying to show that if DANGER is the #1 reason that somebody shouldn't get a CI, then they should basically be afraid to step out of their houses, as the world is fraught with danger, but that doesn't stop people from living full lives. If you didn't do anything because there might be a danger, you'd live a very boring life indeed.

Just to clarify, of the $60,000 associated with the cost of cochlear implant surgery, less than 5 % of that goes to the surgeon. The vast majority of the amount paid for cochlear implantation goes to the the facility for use of the operating room, supplies, device, and anasthesiologist.

Medicare reimburses the surgeons around $1500 for CI surgery (no, I didn't drop a zero, that's one thousand five hundred), Medicaid is even worse -- I just found a Montana Medicaid reimbursement list for 2007 that says that surgeons receive $1000.44 for CI surgery. It's even worse for simultaneous bilaterals, the second side is automatically discounted by 50 %, so the surgeon does 2X the surgery and gets 1.5X the fees. If you want to google this up for yourself, the code is 69930 -- and if you see a reimbursement level for this code of over $20,000 I just about guarantee that the fine print it will say that level of reimbursement includes the cost of the device.

Most private insurers limit their reimbursements to between 125 and 150 % of Medicare (i.e. a maximum of $2250). The amount actually paid depends on the region, areas with lower costs of living (like Charlotte) get slightly less than average, expensive areas like San Francisco get slightly more. Given the significant costs of maintaining a medical office with support staff and malpractice insurance, plus the fact that the fee includes pre-op appointments, post op appointments and the actual surgery time, cochlear implant surgery is not the money making machine that some people seem to think it is.

what is wrong with this dr. to keep doing this? makes you wonder when $60,000 is in play per surgery!

etc, etc.....

What do you mean?

Do I understand your post correct that anyone might risk their life like the list you posted if they are not for CI? Please correct if I misunderstand your post or not.

Cloggy was trying to show that if DANGER is the #1 reason that somebody shouldn't get a CI, then they should basically be afraid to step out of their houses, as the world is fraught with danger, but that doesn't stop people from living full lives. If you didn't do anything because there might be a danger, you'd live a very boring life indeed.

If it's really true what Cloggy tried to convince us with his post then what's the wrong with our eyes then?

I find very interesting that anyone think ears are value to use than eyes. To me, I find eyes are value because I can see anything.

Do hearing people have to hear anything (accord Cloggy's list) than their own eyes? I mean that they have to use their ears to drive, cross the road, on the plane or whatever... :eek3:

I have seen hearing people watch on their own eyes for their safety.. like warning signal, driving, etc.

So that means you already expected that your daughter might die? Nice. Sounds like a long haul of dreadful thought about your daughter.
I know my daughter is going to die !!!

It's amazing how you come up with some of your conclusions....

Do what?....

I know my daughter is going to die !!!

It's amazing how you come up with some of your conclusions....

Never say " my child is going to die ", cause when you say something like this, this may come true....

Yes I know Cloggy quoted Jillos's post, Boult. His post is not match Jillo's post that's why I questioned Cloggy.

That's what I thought so after read Cloggy's post to correct Neecy's post. :ugh3: I hope that I misunderstand Cloggy's post but I realized that I understand his post correct. Now I don't say anymore further. I'm total speechless.

Do what?....

have a look here....

If you don't want to take the risk of surgery, then:
Why would you get in your car, you could die!
Why would you get on a plane, you could die!
Why would you cross the road, you could die!
etc, etc.....

Life comes with risks. And the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver smashing her car into yours is probably bigger than dying due to a CI operation.

So if you do not want CI because of the possibility of dying on the operation table, you should not get into a car, a plane.... You might get killed!

If it's really true what Cloggy tried to convince us with his post then what's the wrong with our eyes then?

I find very interesting that anyone think ears are value to use than eyes. To me, I find eyes are value because I can see anything.

Do hearing people have to hear anything (accord Cloggy's list) than their own eyes? I mean that they have to use their ears to drive, cross the road, on the plane or whatever... :eek3:

I have seen hearing people watch on their own eyes for their safety.. like warning signal, driving, etc.

:werd: ....Remember sweetie, Cloggy hasn't walked a miles in our shoes yet so what does he know?

have a look here....

etc, etc.....

Life comes with risks. And the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver smashing her car into yours is probably bigger than dying due to a CI operation.

So if you do not want CI because of the possibility of dying on the operation table, you should not get into a car, a plane.... You might get killed!

You can't compare CI issues with those list because CI issues doesn't belongs to kind of emergencies. Those list you posted belong to "save risk life". I know what Jillos is trying to say but your post do not relate Jillos's post.

have a look here....

etc, etc.....

That's LIFE, things like that may happened so??..

This thread is about a young child who had gone thru 2 CI surgeries and end up with an infections, now going for another one this June? two words CHILD ABUSE!

Back