CI Moments

They bite!! You should carry an umbrella to fend them off in case they get mad and come after you!

:giggle:

We have a pond across the street from my apartment complex where alot of ducks like to swim. I hear them quacking all the time whenever my living room window is open. :)

There are a lot of ducks around my neighborhood, and yesterday I stood around hoping that one of them quacks. After a few minutes, I was impatient and tried to chase them to get them to start quacking. Still nothing!!!

If you see some deaf girl in Alabama chasing ducks, that's me!

:giggle:

As I said to Bott, there is a duck pond across from my apartment complex. I hear ducks quacking all of the time whenever my living room window is open. The first time I heard this sound with my CIs, I was confused as to what I was hearing because I never knew that pond existed and I've lived in this neighborhood for 15 years. :)

I forgot to recharge my CI last night, so it died just now. My first thought after taking off the CI and turning on the HA (on the other ear) was:

"Why can't I hear myself typing? Is my HA dead, too?" So I made a sound to test my HA (yes I talk to myself!) and it sounded fine.

That surprised me! I guess I'm really used to the CI now.

Earlier today..I heard some growl..I automatically looked under my bed..( sometimes when I leave my porch windows open , a cat comes inside..) but there was no cat or anything..perplexed , I heard it again...AND..it was my stomach growiling , needing to be filled ( I'm on a diet trying to lose some weight ) hahahaha u should see my surprised face !

I will tell to dr.karpinski I will appointment to upgrade implant i need to let know make sure I help you support .. I thought old implant.her. I need to anot her it is good implant., I understand i wll talk to Dr.Westerberg. I let help you improve implant. I let know make for sure 100% PERFECT. i wait for you make ready for you.i hope be you let know need to make correct. I will back go to Vancouver Hospital. I will discuss to doctor professional cochlear implant to let know you make sure i hope be you wait for forward help me.. I let know you are help me.. i want to first to talk to surgeon Dr.Westerberg.................. I hope be you talk to discuss.

I just came back from AVT a few hours ago and I'm giddy because I did really well on my closed set of phrases. I had to pick from 16 phrases and I could actually pick out words even before I looked for the phrase that it sounded like. I know it's not a big deal but I didn't do well on a set of 8 phrases a few weeks ago. She used those same 8 AND threw in another 8 that I didn't practice with before. One small step for a woman.... :D

Miss Kat told us that her battery was dead! Hurray!!! She is a terrible "reporter". She discribed it as "Ahhhhh (signs light-off) *goes silent* (signs light-on) Ahhhhh". I think the sound was coming on and off.

Also, in speech yesterday she was able to tell the difference between "cat", "coat", "cut", and "kite", nearly 100% of the time. That is only a vowel change!! WoooHoooo Miss Kat!

Miss Kat told us that her battery was dead! Hurray!!! She is a terrible "reporter". She discribed it as "Ahhhhh (signs light-off) *goes silent* (signs light-on) Ahhhhh". I think the sound was coming on and off.

Also, in speech yesterday she was able to tell the difference between "cat", "coat", "cut", and "kite", nearly 100% of the time. That is only a vowel change!! WoooHoooo Miss Kat!

That's good to hear. :)

Congrats to Daredevel and Miss Kat! :)

I'm jealous. I haven't had any CI moments for a long time. :(

I still have not lost the remote lol... The new MAPings at 1000 speed is awesome !!! Able to hear softer sounds better...

Last night, I went to Red Robin with friends and I distinctively heard balloons being blown (with a Helium tank) from 15 feet away AND Red Robin was crowded and noisy! I did a "Vicky Test" and switched on my HA on the other ear and turned off the CI. Didn't hear the balloons AT ALL over the loud noise. Not only that, I noticed that I hear my friend's voices much more distinctively with the CI! Yay! :D

It's funny though, the background noise was much louder with the HA than the CI.

Latest CI moment for me:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY]YouTube - Susan Boyle - Singer - Britains Got Talent 2009 (With Lyrics)[/ame]

(I could not understand all the words, but the singing was amazing.)

I am *so* happy to be able to hear again.

You guys ready for this one???

I called Miss Kat from downstairs and she came down and asked me what I wanted! WooHoo!!

I can hear people's voices just fine but when someone tries to call my name I tune it out thinking it was just other people talking or someone talking to oneself (I have never understood speech ever), and I don't realize someone is trying to get my attention. I can hear voices just fine, but there is something in my brain that I just need to "turn on" or to at least make it an automatic thing for me to look up or turn around when someone calls my name instead of tuning it out. I mean, with a hearing person or a HOH person or a person with a CI who has already understood speech for a long time already, if someone calls his or her name that person automatically looks up or turns around and says "yeah?". I would like to be able to do that. I want people to be able to get my attention and automatically look up or turn around when they call my name. Do any of y'all CIers have any suggestions? I get too into stuff like reading something on the computer or am too into a show on the TV and tune it out when someone tries to get my attention. I need to make it an automatic thing to notice that someone is trying to get my attention. It'd make for an awesome CI moment if I could do that.

Lucia, I did have similar problem... with HA i always look up whenever a person shout out then they say "not you!" sighs!
Lately at nearly 9 months post activation i began to look up when MY name is called which is CI moment for me now!!
Lucia... I am not quite sure how to help you to hear voices... does your other half (parnter) call you??? if he doesn't perhaps that is best way to start, get him to call you from one room to another so u can get the idea....

Lucia, I did have similar problem... with HA i always look up whenever a person shout out then they say "not you!" sighs!
Lately at nearly 9 months post activation i began to look up when MY name is called which is CI moment for me now!!
Lucia... I am not quite sure how to help you to hear voices... does your other half (parnter) call you??? if he doesn't perhaps that is best way to start, get him to call you from one room to another so u can get the idea....

I can hear voices just perfectly fine, in fact I find voices to be a bit somewhat loud, it's just that I tune them out so much when I don't pay attention, I just get very into what it is that I am doing at the moment, and automatically tune it out. I don't realize it when someone is calling my name because I automatically thought it was just someone in the background talking to someone else or someone is talk to oneself or it is someone on the TV or whatever, and I tune it out. Also I don't understand speech to start with, so...

My fiance used to call my name for a while after I got activated but gave up after a while because I tuned it out all the time.

Back