CI Moments

Whoo-hoo now I'm offically a member of CI moment club haha
My CI moment was when cc was malfunctioning I turned on to spongebob squarepant to see how their voices are, and the theme song was playing I was surprised how clear it was and I even sang along with it LOL of course nobody was home! (No one want to hear a deaf girl sing!)

And another one yesterday when I walk through the formal living room lead to kitchen I heard awful and loud buzzing I walked around house to locate the buzz and I found exact spot but I can't tell where its coming from I thought maybe fire alarm tried to poke battery open then now I hear loud "bing" noise I was like "oh no not another noise!" so I ask few people on my sidekick and later I come back down and I leaned my ci up to ceiling it didn't sound like it was from fire alarm, so I move around and heard "BUZZ!!!!!" from wall I was like huh? And found vent and I was like "OH! AC vent made that sound!!" lol finally it was driving me crazy and now I know it, I can learn to filter it out haha.

Welcome to the club, isn't it fantastic! I am so excited for you.

Welcome to the club Skullchick :) I can tell you are having fun already. I went to your blog and loved your pink speech processor - very classy!

Today I was in deptartment store during huge sales so it was full of people and I was looking for my fiance's mother in store couldn't find her and I walked through shoes section and I heard "Amy, Amy, Amy!" I stopped walking and looked around to find where she's calling my name and saw her and she was behind me by like 15 feet! Haha I was surprised cuz it was loud evironment

Today I was in deptartment store during huge sales so it was full of people and I was looking for my fiance's mother in store couldn't find her and I walked through shoes section and I heard "Amy, Amy, Amy!" I stopped walking and looked around to find where she's calling my name and saw her and she was behind me by like 15 feet! Haha I was surprised cuz it was loud evironment

:)

Congratulations on your engagement by the way! What a big year for you so far and it's only February!

Time for a CI moment - I went for my 6 month check up and mapping.

I am in the top of my class in audiograms. I'm moving up to "normal hearing," I moved up from mild loss. I also did very well on my CNC words and phonemes. I brought up my Hint sentences with noise to the 90+%.

This pass month I have become acutely aware of the th sound. My audie said it is because I am beginning to pick that sound up and trying to self correct myself. The problem is I have not really heard it for oh...36 years. I am having problems making the sound with my lips. So it is a great thing...... th..th...th

I know I said this before but I am so excited about being able to hear the tornado sirens in my community. Just that I can hear it all by myself, I found out, that a message is said after the siren. But you have to open your door to hear it. So if you hear of some deaf woman being blown away by a tornado it is because I opened the door to hear the message.

WOW that's great image what it is going to be like in a couple of months.

I am in the top of my class in audiograms. I'm moving up to "normal hearing," I moved up from mild loss. I also did very well on my CNC words and phonemes. I brought up my Hint sentences with noise to the 90+%.

This pass month I have become acutely aware of the th sound. My audie said it is because I am beginning to pick that sound up and trying to self correct myself. The problem is I have not really heard it for oh...36 years. I am having problems making the sound with my lips. So it is a great thing...... th..th...th

I know I said this before but I am so excited about being able to hear the tornado sirens in my community. Just that I can hear it all by myself, I found out, that a message is said after the siren. But you have to open your door to hear it. So if you hear of some deaf woman being blown away by a tornado it is because I opened the door to hear the message.

Glad to hear you have done well on the testing :) I wouldn't worry too much about making the "th" sound spot on. I understand that English is the only language that uses this sound and so foreigners often say "ze" or "de". I understand that it is a thrill for you to hear that sound though!

Interesting about the tornado sirens in your community. Do lots of places in America have these? Does it sound different to the police, ambulance etc?

Woooooooot! Way to go! :) Hope I can do that well!

Glad to hear you have done well on the testing :) I wouldn't worry too much about making the "th" sound spot on. I understand that English is the only language that uses this sound and so foreigners often say "ze" or "de". I understand that it is a thrill for you to hear that sound though!

Really? No way. No WONDER why when I talk to foreigners they don't do the "th" look...you know, with the tongue on the upper teeth. When kids lisp by saying "Deaf", yet when we read their lips, it "looks" like they're saying "Death". When I was younger, and the hearing kids were asking me many times, "Are you 'death'?" I could not hear the "f". I would say back, "Do I look dead? I'm alive. Go away." Hmm...no wonder why they're puzzled.

Interesting fact. :) What about spanish? I see they often talk with some words with the "tongue on teeth", but I cannot tell if it's a th sound. That would be very weird no other language has that.

Interesting about the tornado sirens in your community. Do lots of places in America have these? Does it sound different to the police, ambulance etc?

Thank you for the info.

Yes, alot of communities have tornado sirens. It is a beep - break - beep sound, just like the tornado sirens used during drills in schools here. It is very different from mobile sirens like police. Little did I know that the world has so many sirens and all have different sounds.

Really? No way. No WONDER why when I talk to foreigners they don't do the "th" look...you know, with the tongue on the upper teeth. When kids lisp by saying "Deaf", yet when we read their lips, it "looks" like they're saying "Death". When I was younger, and the hearing kids were asking me many times, "Are you 'death'?" I could not hear the "f". I would say back, "Do I look dead? I'm alive. Go away." Hmm...no wonder why they're puzzled.

LOL!

Interesting fact. :) What about spanish? I see they often talk with some words with the "tongue on teeth", but I cannot tell if it's a th sound. That would be very weird no other language has that.

Yes, I can see Filipinos using this mouth shape too. I think quite a few languages use the voiceless "th" but very few the voiced "th", as with English. I'm not a 100% certain on this those so maybe someone with a background on linguistics can interject here?

You know what I always wondered? What do deaf people who live in areas where the language is mostly gluttural or made with clicking sounds (like some tribes in Africa) - you can't LIPREAD clicks....so how do they learn to communicate with others? I wonder if they develop their own type of sign language?

another CI moment!
I got new mapping today and its much better!
I was in dining room looking outside (its snowing! isnt it funny? all 3 days surgery, activation and 2nd mapping it all snowed the exact same time my appointment finished?!?!) and I heard sound and I thought maybe my cat was meowing and I heard it again and I was like 'no it sound like its from there where jason is" and then heard it for 3rd time and I was positive jason's calling my name in laundry room and I went to look and he said 'good! you heard me!' I was excited haha cuz its like 30 feet away in different room!

Another one its not exactly CI moment but its special for me I finally heard jason TRUE voice today with new map I can hear sort of little "rumble" (the sound that give men the deep voice) and voice sound so manly and clear like real voice! I was so happy and I started to giggle when he keep talking cuz I finally hear it lol

One of my most embrassing moments in my life came when a Chinese guy wrote out his name which was spelled HUNG. I pronounced his name exactly the way you pronounce the English word Hung. I hadn't known that the NG sound is pronounced differntly in Chinese than in English and it's pronounced more like a guttural verision of the English word hug.

Here's a recent CI moment.

I was in the drug store recently when much to my surprise, I hear commercials on the loudspeaker and I actually can understand much of what I'm hearing. As a rule, the radio is easier for me to understand than the loudspeaker because the sound quality is better.

I do have a question about loudspeakers. I had always assumed that when people use either the intercom or the loudspeaker, it's to ask others to come see the boss or to make announcements. I guess it's because when I was mainstreamed, the loudspeaker was used for this purpose.

Now I wonder if stores just use loudspeaker to sell items or to announce things or to call up workers if the boss needs them or a mix of all the above.

There's a discount clearance place near me that always has advertisements on the PA system. The first time I was able to understand them it was such a novelty I just stood in the aisle for about 10 minutes listening!!! My mom thought I was nuts! LOL

Funny CI moment today,
I was volunteering at my fiance's mother work today and I heard my offical first cuss without looking at lips today! Lmao I was sorting paper to put in files and I heard one person cussed "f*&%" and I heard it crystal clear and look up and turn my head to look at person and I smiled a little bit cuz I was like "I heard that haha"
I'm still struggling big time with anything music related I can't hear lyrics and word while other music instrument is playing same time its sooo frustrating (I never been able to all my life) any tips on how to listen to music? I can't pull out lyrics cuz I don't know what song's playing lol it suck even one song I remember from 4 years ago's lyrics but I can't match up lyrics from my memory to song singing voice :( oh well maybe 1-2 years later I will be able to understand it like all of you guys did. Listening to speech is so-so without lipreading if say in small sentence if I know the subject (like will say something about food I cooked I'll know what to expect to hear like "your pork roast is really good I like it a lot" for example) or some single word. Slow progress but I'm getting there lol

I'm still struggling big time with anything music related I can't hear lyrics and word while other music instrument is playing same time its sooo frustrating (I never been able to all my life) any tips on how to listen to music? I can't pull out lyrics cuz I don't know what song's playing lol it suck even one song I remember from 4 years ago's lyrics but I can't match up lyrics from my memory to song singing voice :( oh well maybe 1-2 years later I will be able to understand it like all of you guys did. Listening to speech is so-so without lipreading if say in small sentence if I know the subject (like will say something about food I cooked I'll know what to expect to hear like "your pork roast is really good I like it a lot" for example) or some single word. Slow progress but I'm getting there lol

May I suggest the following songs for you to "try"? These songs, to me, is easy to follow, and you should be able to tell the voice separately from the background music. At this time, music sounds slightly different, but much better than when I was first activated.

For My Broken Heart - Reba McEntire
Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly (he has a deep voice, and to me it's very easy to follow)
Part of Your World - Little Mermaid
Bobby - Reba McEntire

These are the songs that I can think of on top of my head (out of 2500 songs I have!). If you want a specific Album, I suggest you to get "For My Broken Heart" by Reba McEntire. It was made in 1992. I know a lot of these songs on the album is sad (because her band members died in a plane crash), but I'm able to follow the words very easily on all of the songs on that album. Only "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" is a bit of a fast song, but I still can understand her very clearly.

To be very honest - if you never really listened to music, I mean following the lyrics and singing along with it, or lip syncing along with it, you will have a little bit of a harder time dealing with music with the CI. I have been listening to music for 20 years, so it was a hard process at first, but then over time it gets easier. It was the last year or two that I seriously was having problems following music, hence why I started my journey on getting the CI. People have said that CI has a bit of a hard time trying to "breakdown" the vocals, the bass, the trebles, the keyboards, background vocals, etc. For those who are so used to music before CI, will see that it's slightly different, but it can sound normal.

Wish you best of luck!! I heard someone said, "Shut Up! BITCH!" as well. Kind of funny when you pick up sentences like that.

Lol sorry I got another CI moment again today. Today was also my 2nd mapping appt. When we were done with mapping both program, we were just talking and she decided to stop signing and kept talking and it was totally unexpected but I actually understood about 85-90% of what she was saying!!!!!! WOW! I almost started to cry in middle of her talking to me (with lipreading and listening same time but to me that's GREAT and my breakthrough moment because whole my life its always fuzzy and only caught half of what person's saying and today WOW!! I'm over the moon right now I never thought I would be able to do that till like 6-12 months later but NOPE yay!!!

Lol sorry I got another CI moment again today. Today was also my 2nd mapping appt. When we were done with mapping both program, we were just talking and she decided to stop signing and kept talking and it was totally unexpected but I actually understood about 85-90% of what she was saying!!!!!! WOW! I almost started to cry in middle of her talking to me (with lipreading and listening same time but to me that's GREAT and my breakthrough moment because whole my life its always fuzzy and only caught half of what person's saying and today WOW!! I'm over the moon right now I never thought I would be able to do that till like 6-12 months later but NOPE yay!!!

That gave me goosebumps to hear this. Congratulations on your marvelous progress!

Back