CI Moments

Funny CI moment today,

I'm still struggling big time with anything music related I can't hear lyrics and word while other music instrument is playing same time its sooo frustrating (I never been able to all my life) any tips on how to listen to music? I can't pull out lyrics cuz I don't know what song's playing lol it suck even one song I remember from 4 years ago's lyrics but I can't match up lyrics from my memory to song singing voice :( oh well maybe 1-2 years later I will be able to understand it like all of you guys did. Listening to speech is so-so without lipreading if say in small sentence if I know the subject (like will say something about food I cooked I'll know what to expect to hear like "your pork roast is really good I like it a lot" for example) or some single word. Slow progress but I'm getting there lol

I'm trying to think of some music that you can listen to and also pull the lyrics up on your computer that might be easier to understand. Have you ever used Youtube? You can listen to a lot of songs that way, and in another window google up the lyrics so you can listen along (and teach yourself the songs.) That's what I do with new singers/songs.

Some I can think of off the top of my head that might be easy to understand

Weird Al Yankovick (particularly his Amish Paradise song - its really easy to follow)

Some of the ABBA songs are pretty easy to follow (Mama Mia, Chiquitita, Fernando)

YMCA by the Villiage People

Every Breath You Take by Sting

The Mama's and the Papa's (California Dreaming, Monday Monday)

Some of Randy Travis's songs (If I didn't have you, Forever and Ever Amen, )

John Denver has a beautiful voice and it rises above his music, same goes for Josh Groban

Also - you can watch the music videos for a lot of songs and being able to lipread them as well as learn the songs can make it easier.

Hope some of this might help!

Lol sorry I got another CI moment again today. Today was also my 2nd mapping appt. When we were done with mapping both program, we were just talking and she decided to stop signing and kept talking and it was totally unexpected but I actually understood about 85-90% of what she was saying!!!!!! WOW! I almost started to cry in middle of her talking to me (with lipreading and listening same time but to me that's GREAT and my breakthrough moment because whole my life its always fuzzy and only caught half of what person's saying and today WOW!! I'm over the moon right now I never thought I would be able to do that till like 6-12 months later but NOPE yay!!!

What a really nice moment!

I'm still struggling big time with anything music related I can't hear lyrics and word while other music instrument is playing same time its sooo frustrating (I never been able to all my life) any tips on how to listen to music? I can't pull out lyrics cuz I don't know what song's playing lol it suck even one song I remember from 4 years ago's lyrics but I can't match up lyrics from my memory to song singing voice :( oh well maybe 1-2 years later I will be able to understand it like all of you guys did.

I think it's too soon after activation for you to be able to appreciate music - that will take months. You haven't got the Adro, beam etc type programs yet right?

Also I have heard that Cochlear is coming out with some new programs soon that will replace the current ones. My friend trialled them and said that they are really good and she especially liked listening to music with the new programs! So something to look forward to.

Interesting news on the new programs R2! I'll have to ask my audie. He just emailed me and asked me if I wanted to participate in a music appreciation study he is doing with his CI recipients!!

Yep jody told me about that too about music program.
Yeah I tried youtube, music channel, etc I can't pick out vocal at all yet lol

Ashley was in the booth on Monday for testing. Each time the audi would play the shhhhhhh sound Ashley would say it back to her it was so cute. When she was putting the new program on her processor Ashley was what we call singing. When the audi would turn it off for more adjustments she would stop singing. When it came back on she would start right back up. Music to my ears.

Ashley was in the booth on Monday for testing. Each time the audi would play the shhhhhhh sound Ashley would say it back to her it was so cute. When she was putting the new program on her processor Ashley was what we call singing. When the audi would turn it off for more adjustments she would stop singing. When it came back on she would start right back up. Music to my ears.

Awwww. You should record her singing :)

I am going to try to catch her with the camera so I can post it. She is too cute sometimes. She often puts a dance to it too.

I am going to try to catch her with the camera so I can post it. She is too cute sometimes. She often puts a dance to it too.

I can just picture you smiling as this was going on.

My own CI moment. My classroom is in portable and I have to walk children in and out every 45 minutes. I kept hearing a sound - bang, bang, bang in intervals. After about the 4 trips in and out, I asked a teacher what that sound was - a nail gun. She pointed out over a quarter of mile away, builder putting on a new roof. I could not believe that I heard this sound so far away.

I finally can hear fire alarm!!!
I couldn't hear it at all with few programs I had from activation and 1st mapping I was little upset and worried cuz it was reason I got CI is to be able to hear important sound like fire alarm, emergency vehicle siren, baby/child crying, etc
And after 2nd mapping with 2 program with all 22 electrodes turned on and my fiance burned something when cooking set alarm off while I was cleaning off table I heard it and I turned to see what it was and jason smiled and said "can you hear it now?" I couldn't stop smiling for like 15 min enjoying the fire alarm sound till they turn it off lol because it was first thing I tried to hear when I discovered that I'm really profoundly deaf and couldn't hear for first 2 week and now I FINALLY CAN!
And same day there was big car accident in hwy I can hear cop, fire truck and ambulance sirens before coming in sight!

I finally can hear fire alarm!!!
I couldn't hear it at all with few programs I had from activation and 1st mapping I was little upset and worried cuz it was reason I got CI is to be able to hear important sound like fire alarm, emergency vehicle siren, baby/child crying, etc

Way to go!!!! :) Fire alarm hasn't set off in my apartment. I can't do that because if one apartment's fire alarms go off, then 60 others will go off at the same time. So, that's a no-no. :) I can't do it at my parents' house because my stepfather is a fireman, and he'll get pissed. LOL! :applause:

Way to go!!!! :) Fire alarm hasn't set off in my apartment. I can't do that because if one apartment's fire alarms go off, then 60 others will go off at the same time. So, that's a no-no. :) I can't do it at my parents' house because my stepfather is a fireman, and he'll get pissed. LOL! :applause:

You know what you could do? Stop by your local fire department office and tell them about your CI..and that you've never heard a fire alarm, and would like them to give you an example of the type of sound it makes, so in the event you ever HEAR one, you know what it is! I bet they'll be more than happy to bring out some test units and show you how they sound!

You know what you could do? Stop by your local fire department office and tell them about your CI..and that you've never heard a fire alarm, and would like them to give you an example of the type of sound it makes, so in the event you ever HEAR one, you know what it is! I bet they'll be more than happy to bring out some test units and show you how they sound!

And if you are in luck, you can admire some of the hunky firemen too! :giggle:

Now I know what to do to meet the cute firemen. :)

I have been enjoying the weekend out of town with my daughter. We were at a dance competition. For the first time in three years of her competiting, I heard them announce - Number 22 Footloose 2nd place overall. It feels so good to enjoy the music, hear the judges and see the girls on stage excited.

Oh, I had an old moment. One the parents were trying to find out something and the girls were behind a glass area. The parent could not hear the answer. Well it was so easy to understand with lipreading. Told her what was said just like old times. I knew more about what was going on by lipreading even with my CIs then most parents did.

I know difficult to really explain to u. I know well not good. I understand about to serious very bad. I had bad behavior. I know missed disappointment to really happen. trouble.

hi I dont know what is means problem

I know difficult to explain to you. I think so avoid seziure. I am fine no problem I am glad of swimming deep feet 50. There is water very pool pretty swimming. I got better health. I reason serious not good seziure that is happen nerve bad. I dont know how believe not health. i never experienced well rarely my anxiety. It is weird.

What are you trying to saying.

He is saying that he has a difficult time explaining to people who have not eexperienced the same negative effects that he has experienced. He has serious medical problems with his CI, and it had to be removed. And that his experience is as valid as positive experience.

smithtr is very ASL based. His writing shows that.

Back