CI Evaluation on monday

I had my worse ear ""implanted" and kept my good ear for a hearing aid. The audiologist wanted me to have both ears " implanted". I am so glad I only had my worse ear implanted so that I can still enjoy natural sound for a few more years. I fired the first audiologist and found a much better audiologist to deal with my hearing needs. I wait until my ear is practically stone deaf before allowing a CI. MedEl was a very good fit for my CI needs as well. My advice, TAKE YER TIME !!! Good luck !!!

Good luck with your CI evaluation . Let us know how it when.
I am going for one on Sept 24 , but I really can't see my insurance paying for someone my age to have this done. I am 63 years old .

I did not notice where you are located but my insurance paid for one for me and maybe even get two but I doubt the second one. I have the first one for about 6 months now. Born in 1931 so if your in decent health maybe ? Good luck

I had my worse ear ""implanted" and kept my good ear for a hearing aid. The audiologist wanted me to have both ears " implanted". I am so glad I only had my worse ear implanted so that I can still enjoy natural sound for a few more years. I fired the first audiologist and found a much better audiologist to deal with my hearing needs. I wait until my ear is practically stone deaf before allowing a CI. MedEl was a very good fit for my CI needs as well. My advice, TAKE YER TIME !!! Good luck !!!
Yes, I'm another that was glad to have just one ear implanted. Yes, what's with some professionals or even CI users out there pushing other CI users or candidates to get two? And with the rapid advances in the science and technology field lately, I'm also kind of saving the other ear for such future developments.

Good luck with your CI evaluation . Let us know how it when.
I am going for one on Sept 24 , but I really can't see my insurance paying for someone my age to have this done. I am 63 years old .

Interesting and informative thread ~ I'm in the decision making stage re: implantation right now, have already had the evaluation and been approved... I was also struggling with the age thing (I'm 53...) and when I mentioned it to my surgeon, he said that the oldest person he'd done a CI on was almost 90 ~ very active and in great health ~ and is still doing well 9 years later... so, don't let age hold you back!!!

Interesting and informative thread ~ I'm in the decision making stage re: implantation right now, have already had the evaluation and been approved... I was also struggling with the age thing (I'm 53...) and when I mentioned it to my surgeon, he said that the oldest person he'd done a CI on was almost 90 ~ very active and in great health ~ and is still doing well 9 years later... so, don't let age hold you back!!!
This kind of reminds me of a thread in one of those ol' "Dear Anne" or "Dear Abby" type of posts in the newspaper a while back. Whereas one asked "Am I too old to go back to school?" or something to that sort.

Whereas "Dear Anne" or "Dear Abby" then responded "How old would you be 5 years from now if you didn't go to school?". In another word, it was a question of "being 5 years older and NOT getting an education" versus "being 5 years older and GETTING an education". If you get the point of the analogy?

Back