CI Evaluation on monday

So apparently now I have to get an ABR and I'm not looking forward to it..

Alicia,

Was she the ONLY one available?

If not, you can request a redo of everything. WITH a different Audi, have your local Audi write up a reason why. "The CI Audi, may be allowing personal feelings to get in the way of her professional job of testing Alicia properly and without emotional involvement from past history of association with previous co-workers."

You have the right to obtain copies, if they say no and it's policy, tell them to show you the policy right then.

If they still won't provide you any information, ask to speak to the department head of the program.

Just be sure that you relay to them that this your decision, your hope to receive a CI, and you want to make sure that the CI Audi is absolutely certain of your results, because you feel otherwise. Request also that your initial results from testing already done is not to be seen until after the re-testing to compare information.

Just keep in mind. That the second testing results may come up the same as the first.

Don't lose hope!

Honestly ABR isn't that bad, all you need to is sleep! they insert very fine tube into your ears and put plug (like ear plugs for Ipod) in, put electrodes on your forehead, behind both ears. Sit back, chill out and have a snooze, it won't work if you are active. it takes about 30 - 45 mins.

DGirl101 is right about the audi, it's no good for you to feel stressed. Also put your foot down for your results... be strong.

I was quite taken aback when the CI audi said "Well it SEEMS like you have a severe profound loss from your hearing tests but your acoustic reflexes don't match
Alica that really sucks! And you lost your hearing as a teen (right?) I can't remember the specifics about your hearing status.....
It's possible that they are trying to crack down on ambigious canidates, to save money for the right off the bat canidates.
Can you see another CI audi?

I haven't had the ABR yet...it was scheduled for a couple weeks ago..but im just SO busy with school and they wanna do it on a friday and I can't cuz of school/work. If i miss hours for school I have to make them back and I've missed too much to be able to just miss more. So I need to wait til im done school in june.

And I did lose it when I was 16. I just don't get how if I can't hear properly how she thinks im making it up or something. I've heard of some ppl having normal ABR's and them having hearing loss too and my acoustic things were not matching my audiogram so I dunno how my ABR is gonna be...I can't see another CI audi..It doesn't really work like that down here..there is only one in my area and if I do see another CI audi i'd have to go to Toronto but I think for funding and all that they want u to go to the one in ur closes area or something..its a lot diff here in canada than in the states and on top of that if ur deemed a candidate u have to wait 1-3 years to be implanted

Midge sorry to read about your troubles there in Ottawa. My experience at Sunnybrook/Toronto was a bit difference. After referral from St Michaels ENT confirming deafness in early Jan/07 saw the Sunnybrook audiologist-Amy Ng in early Feb/07 over 2 hours using her computer to communicate with me.At that point she said was a "suitable candidate"- based in part on Cdn Hearing Society/Tor Hearing file on me, subject to "physical and Doctor's review". Had the physical exam/CAT scan etc in early Jun/07. Met the surgeon Dr J Chen June 20/07 about a half hour-decided I was "suitable candidate"- operation in 3 weeks. Survived the operation with one surprise when I woke up-a bandage below the chest! As explained seemed-too much fluid "came out" when head was opened - plugged by my body fat- stomach area.. Not serious- just kept in the hospital over night. Went home the next day. Healed in 4 weeks-Amy Ng activated the external processor and allowed me to resume swimming. She still the person I deal with at Sunnybrook.
That happened 3 years ago. No regrets!

Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria- activated Aug/07

hmmm interesting that it was so quick and they were so good to you down there when I had the crappiest experience with the CI audi here and the centre here....too bad I can't come up there and do it...darn it

My hearing loss and acoustic reflexes don't "match" either (it's actaully not uncommon at all ... I don't see why she was surprised ??)

I'm also quite "over-amplified" (about 10db or more) for what my hearing tests "say" I need!

For me if things aren't loud enough I have a lot of trouble maintaining focus as well as differentiating words etc - even if my pure-tone audiogram says I should be able to hear with less volume. One thing that my Audies (yup 3 of them) have determined is that I almost certainly have an auditory processing disorder/issue in addition to my hearing loss - however it's basically impossible to accurately test for APD in adults (especially adults with the amount and configuration of HL I have).

My Audies all agree that it is the APD that is causing the "issues" with my Audiogram & Acoustic reflex not matching, and why I need to be "over-amplified" in order to hear/understand things properly and comfortably.

Honestly - you need to consult a/some different audiologists ... the reaction you got from this one suggests they don't have a lot of experience with anyone other than "cookie-cutter typical hearing loss" and likely have no experince with the impact taht things such as APD/CAPD etc can have on and audiogram etc. ( The combination of "overamplified" and acoustic reflex variating from the audiogram results is exactly what I have ... and my Audies have been great - agreeing to work with ME, not my paperwork (within reason of course - they're obviously not going to over-amplify me by 30db etc). A good Audie realizes that there are a number of factors at play when it comes to a complete hearing assessment and that 2 people with identical audiograms may actually need different amplification etc to achieve the same "listening goals"

yes and this is how my regular audie is but she's on mat leave..the one who said all this bs was a CI audi..and you *think* she'd be really experienced if she's dealing with CI's...I never thought that I could maybe have APD, I also know I am a bit overamplified as well...sometimes I love Canada and sometimes I hate it..I wish there were more audis etc to choose from in our cities and that not everything is so strictly giving out because its free..and my loss definitely is NOT a cookie-cutter type hearing loss at all...

Attachments

• IMG00029-20100811-1617(2).jpg
    IMG00029-20100811-1617(2).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG00031-20100811-1620.jpg
    IMG00031-20100811-1620.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 67
I have a moderately severe loss (bordering on profound in my deafer ear) BUT an ABR indicates I'm profoundly dhh. Not surprising seeing as my brain is really odd nereologically. (I have an obvious on MRI brain difference)
I wonder if APD, auditory nereopathy and that brain deafness where you can hear but the brain doesn't process it are all basicly different names for the same thing.

hmm dunno DD it's all confusing to me...all I know is i AM deaf and I know that and my audi knows that and I dunno why there should be anyone doubting this...
Safarigirl- I already had my CI eval I was denied as of couple months ago but my hearing has again changed since then..

how much did you hearing change this time alicia? Do you have an actual diagnosis? I've decided it's time for me to get one since i've started having balance problems. Going to the ENT tomorrow!
*EQL*

I don't have a dx but I attached my audiogram and I went down to 105dB in 6k or something I think

Your audiogram is similar to mine, except mine is a definite slope, yours is sort of up and down and then a big drop at the end. We have almost the exact same range though! Kinda cool we have somewhat similar ears, hahah! I hope all goes well for you. :)

Back