CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted (droid)

Of course, the people who use that term intend it as an insult. I refuse to allow any term to have power over me. I like to reclaim the words people try to use as weapons. Maybe we should have a Deaf militant walk? The slit walks have been very popular recently.

Very good idea.

But are there any deafies in the legislative bodies? Not a single one. I am dead set against hearing people making rules and standards for deaf people, so I guess that makes me a militant.

By that definition, I am a militant, as well.

(I can hear it coming now..."But you speak for the Deaf all the time and you are hearing!"):laugh2:

Nope, I don't speak for the Deaf; I speak with the Deaf. The Deaf tell me what message they want and need to have communicated.

I never said i didn't care what DC thought.

Why, then, would you say this when I asked DC her opinion?

But why does it matter? Or why does it matter what DeafCaroline thinks it is? Nobody was discussing deaf militants, not to a serious degree anyway, other than Dr.Phil constantly interjecting it in his posts. If he wants to think that's what we all are, then that's his issue.

But are there any deafies in the legislative bodies? Not a single one. I am dead set against hearing people making rules and standards for deaf people, so I guess that makes me a militant.

I think that's the position of my ASL teacher, as well. She has called herself a Deaf militant. I've seen others here call themselves Deaf militants. I wouldn't have thought they were referring to any violent action or riots, but rather to aggressive action. Protests, lobbying, letter-writing campaigns, meetings with legislative bodies, etc.

Are there really no deafies in legislative bodies? Even at a state level? Seriously?

I think what I'm seeing are some widely varied impressions of what a Deaf militant is, which probably explains confusion in both new people on the board and veterans. You seem to see the term as an externally defined pejorative, an insult referring to combative, violent behaviors of those who are against CIs in children, Beo seems to sees it as self-defined role as 'firebrand' and d/Deaf activist in general. And I've got some impression, probably based heavily on the individuals I know, one personally, some others more distantly, of those who self-identify as 'Deaf militants" as activists for a range of causes of benefit to the deaf community, not just armchair QBs, but who engage aggressively with organizations and legislative bodies.

How do you define aggressive?

The meaning of deaf militant depends on the context in which it was used. It can be positive or negative depending on its inference.

I think that's the position of my ASL teacher, as well. She has called herself a Deaf militant. I've seen others here call themselves Deaf militants. I wouldn't have thought they were referring to any violent action or riots, but rather to aggressive action. Protests, lobbying, letter-writing campaigns, meetings with legislative bodies, etc.

Are there really no deafies in legislative bodies? Even at a state level? Seriously?

None on either state or federal level. Seriously.

Do you think it's aggressive to write letters? Have meetings? To lobby? that's aggressive and militant to you? Sounds to me like concerned citizens speaking up.

it is for now. both of you.

methinks ya'all are mad cuz your A/C is broken? :giggle:

Nope, my AC is fine. And I'm not mad in the least. But there are many more involved in this discussion that are not hearing.:cool2:

How do you know when any one individual that you don't know personally started to use an aid?

Well, to be honest, it is pretty obvious in their posts and the way they see themselves and their deafness. But they usually tell us that they are late deafened when they introduce themselves or identify a problem they are having.

Do you think it's aggressive to write letters? Have meetings? To lobby? that's aggressive and militant to you? Sounds to me like concerned citizens speaking up.

Those aren't militants. Those are activists. Those are socially aware citizens.

How do you define "deaf" for this purpose. I feel sure their are some that use hearing aids.

Using a hearing aid is a long way from being informed and concerned regarding the social issues that continue to have a negative impact on the D/deaf community.

I think it often takes aggressive action, such as initiating letter-writing campaigns, traveling to lobby and speak to legislative bodies, organizing protests, to make change happen. Unlike passive behaviors, like seething about having no control, grumbling about what's wrong -- without taking constructive action.

I described what I think Deaf militancy might consist of early on in this discussion, but I wouldn't label someone else as a Deaf militant, given that we all have very different perspectives on what that means, and as you and others have said, you see it as an insult, as referring to violence and riots. Some might see it as a badge of honor or call to action.

Beo, what makes someone a "Deaf militant", in your opinion?

When I think 'militant', I think of someone who is fighting aggressively for a cause. So, combined with Deaf, what's the platform or cause? ASL language parity + other economic, social, academic rights for all who are deaf? Seems like that would make any and all of us who lobby our congress reps for insurance coverage for hearing aids, fight for public awareness of what it means to be deaf, work towards bettering our schools and making academics accessible, etc.

Or is 'militant' more oriented towards violence, as opposed to activism/advocacy or Deaf activism/advocacy?

Letter writing campaigns are on the low side of assertive. They certainly are not agressive enough to draw attention to the issues. Take a lesson from DPN. That was controlled and organized agression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back