CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why does it matter? Or why does it matter what DeafCaroline thinks it is? Nobody was discussing deaf militants, not to a serious degree anyway, other than Dr.Phil constantly interjecting it in his posts. If he wants to think that's what we all are, then that's his issue.

You may not care what DC thinks, I happen to be interested. DC seems to have strong feelings that Marsden's and Lane's ideas on 'Deaf Militants' don't reflect what a Deaf militant is today. I'd like to know what she thinks defines a Deaf militant, and what role they and their actions play in our community, in our society.

Beo explained to me that he thinks we need this type of person actively engaging dialogue in public office.

But why does it matter? Or why does it matter what DeafCaroline thinks it is? Nobody was discussing deaf militants, not to a serious degree anyway, other than Dr.Phil constantly interjecting it in his posts. If he wants to think that's what we all are, then that's his issue.

I find it odd that only the deaf and the hearing are asking to have "Deaf militant" defined. They are the ones that keep using the term, but want us to define it for them. Perhaps they need to have a definition before throwing terminology around that they don't understand.

You may not care what DC thinks, I happen to be interested. DC seems to have strong feelings that Marsden's and Lane's ideas on 'Deaf Militants' don't reflect what a Deaf militant is today. I'd like to know what she thinks defines a Deaf militant, and what role they and their actions play in our community, in our society.

Beo explained to me that he thinks we need this type of person actively engaging dialogue in public office.

In whose community and society? The Deaf or the hearing?

And so what do you think a Deaf militant is, and believes in?

Why don't you ask hearing people? They're the ones who first coined that term when six Gaulladet students staged a protest for a deaf president.

You really need to go back and read. It is not Beowulf I was referring to, and Beo certainly doesn't need you to defend.:lol:

Really? To whom were you referring? I had asked a question of Beowulf that you took issue with. Who is it you think I'm defending here?

I really wish you would pay close attention to what people said instead of skimming over their posts. Heather Marsden is a deaf militant by the way. She's an activist for deaf women in Canada and her article was about the uproar over approval for CIs in babies in the mid-90s. It was this uproar constantly in the media that gave the impression that all Deaf people are like the band of activists vocally expressing their opposition to the government approval especially because no long term studies had been done first.

Yes, certainly there are still Deaf people nowadays who are opposed to CIs in babies. Why does such concern have to be branded as "militancy"? It's an insult.

Why don't you ask hearing people? They're the ones who first coined that term when six Gaulladet students staged a protest for a deaf president.

Bingo! Kind of speaks to the motivation for even coining such a term, doesn't it? Call them militants, and it discredits their platform.

I really wish you would pay close attention to what people said instead of skimming over their posts. Heather Marsden is a deaf militant by the way. She's an activist for deaf women in Canada and her article was about the uproar over approval for CIs in babies in the mid-90s. It was this uproar constantly in the media that gave the impression that all Deaf people are like the band of activists vocally expressing their opposition to the government approval especially because no long term studies had been done first.

Yes, certainly there are still Deaf people nowadays who are opposed to CIs in babies. Why does such concern have to be branded as "militancy"? It's an insult.

It is intended as an insult. That is why I find the use around here so annoying.

Really? To whom were you referring? I had asked a question of Beowulf that you took issue with. Who is it you think I'm defending here?

Don't pretend to be clueless. You know who you are defending, and so does everyone else participating in this thread. :roll:

DC, thanks for answering! I have a bunch of questions, if you feel like answering, great :) if not, of if you haven't given it much thought, no big deal. It looks like you think of "Deaf militant" as a pejorative term, if you say that's an insult. Why is that? Do you consider opposition to CIs in children as a defining position for Deaf militancy? How do you see "Deaf militants" differing in approach or perspective from 'those expressing opposition to pediatric CIs'? Is it a matter of how that expression is conducted or of the platform of beliefs itself?

Who is "ours"? Stop hedging.

Stop behaving like such a belligerent jack azz. Ours: you, me, everyone on this thread, on AD. People who have an interest in rights and advocacy for those who are deaf. Our community, our society.

Deaf militant, when used by a certain segment of the population, is intended to be perjorative. When used by another segment, it is merely a descriptive.

Again with the back handed slurs. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that DC has thought about these topics a great deal, and has spent a great amount of time in educating herself. To imply that she had not thought about it is another way of trying to insult but leave yourself leeway to back pedal.:roll:

Don't pretend to be clueless. You know who you are defending, and so does everyone else participating in this thread. :roll:

You are such a piece of work. WTF are you drumming up today? An imaginary person I'm attacking, an imaginary person I'm defending? Your nonsense is over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back