Chuck Baird

DeafSCUBA98 said:
:ugh: i'm with u.. i dunno who too
Yeah... that is like saying:

"OMG! Kim Jameson got a new ring!"

Who the hell is Kim Jameson!? Hehehe!

Chuck Baird is well-known deaf artist at some places. He was former Kansas. He had painted a lot of deaf exhibitions, artworks with sign in it. Such and such.. U can click that link and know more about him. He's well-known artist.. He graduated from Kansas S.D. He done many many art works for young kids..
Vam-- U can take Deaf Artists class at RIT to know more about Chuck Baird..

that website was very slow loading.... I use DSL, lol

I've met the guy last year at Deaf Way 2. He's a well known deaf artist that uses the theme of DeVIA. Other deaf artists are R.F. Walker, Paul Johnston, Paul Setzer, Susan Dupor, Ann Silver, etc.... :thumb:

It looks alright. The color is pretty bad, could do better. As for the paintbrush design, that could be better too. Right now, it looks like a 2-year-old designed the web page. If the paintbrushes were smaller, it would look better. Also, the title, "Chuck's Brushes" looking like it was painted would make the web page look more artistic.

chuck baird's name may not be as well-known as his work. his work is certainly well-known (at least in some areas, not others, as is evidenced here), and at gally, i've seen his work on quite a few postcards, christmas cards, etc. in the bookstore. he does a pretty good job, methinks. not my style, but still a good job.

i've taken sculpture classes under paul johnston - he's pretty good and very creative. also took a class under paul setzer, i think it was during my freshman year, and i can't really remember exactly what class that was! john grindstaff is a good artist too - he's actually a photographer, but an artist nonetheless. he's taken really creative photographs of signs-in-motion - if you visit gally, you should ask around to see his work.

Last edited:
pixelgecko said:
i've taken sculpture classes under paul johnston - he's pretty good and very creative. also took a class under paul setzer, i think it was during my freshman year, and i can't really remember exactly what class that was! john grindstaff is a good artist too - he's actually a photographer, but an artist nonetheless. he's taken really creative photographs of signs-in-motion - if you visit gally, you should ask around to see his work.

Nice! I took perspective class (one of those special topic classes) under paul johnston. he's a funny guy, eh? whoa, when did he give sculpture classes? lmao! paul setzer is a good person too. john grindstaff, a great person personally, had this photo of his son, that was in motion - pretty good! These are the traditional artists, I suppose.

You guys probably get better chance of meetin' them or seeing artwork at the washburn center, so go straight there. They also do art exhibitions monthly I believe?? They have a very professinal and nice place for exhibition since the WAB got renovated. It's worth a visit... tell 'em Liza sent you, haha :angel:

Liza said:
Nice! I took perspective class (one of those special topic classes) under paul johnston. he's a funny guy, eh? whoa, when did he give sculpture classes? lmao! paul setzer is a good person too. john grindstaff, a great person personally, had this photo of his son, that was in motion - pretty good! These are the traditional artists, I suppose.

You guys probably get better chance of meetin' them or seeing artwork at the washburn center, so go straight there. They also do art exhibitions monthly I believe?? They have a very professinal and nice place for exhibition since the WAB got renovated. It's worth a visit... tell 'em Liza sent you, haha :angel:

Aye... What Liza said above is true: I know Paul Johnston and have worked with Chuck Baird when he was at Gallaudet during the DeafWay II. Have also seen his website - which I will pass on the comments. :)
However, here is a little fact that was not brought up - that Paul Johnston and Chuck Baird were among the founders of De'Via, an art movement which is based on deaf experience and culture. Bette Miller is considered the 'mother' of deaf art. It was not until the Spring of 2000 when the first De'Via course was offered at Gallaudet (taught by Paul) and I was among the first students of that class. Since there was no book published on deaf art at the time, we literally had to wing it and it was an interesting experience. And we learned a lot.. it was enough to whet my curiousty as an artist to devle into that.
And wouldn't you know it.. before my first De'Via (deaf art) painting was even completed (I am a watercolorist and have been for over 25 years on a professional level), a client in MD went and bought it!
Since then I have explored various ways to incorporate my style with watercolors and acrylics with deaf art. If anyone is interested, one of my paintings now hangs in the ASL/Deaf Studies Department at Gallaudet University.
Also, for those of you interested in art and have access to the bookstore at Gallaudet, I recommend Deaf Art History just published during DeafWay II - the author was Debroah Sonnestera (sp?) who had taught art history at Gallaudet for 25 years (retired since then and devote the following years to gathering information for this book)
Also.. check out this website for De'Via (deaf view art) www.deafart.org

It looks alright. The color is pretty bad, could do better. As for the paintbrush design, that could be better too. Right now, it looks like a 2-year-old designed the web page. If the paintbrushes were smaller, it would look better. Also, the title, "Chuck's Brushes" looking like it was painted would make the web page look more artistic.

I see it as great concept how the visual would be.

Rest in peace, deaf artist

RIP for him. I know him very well during my college life.

Back