Christchurch earthquake

I hope few ADers are okay in New Zealand. Natural disasters are terrible where people get hurt or killed. Now we have two trouble crisises which are natural disasters and violences in our trouble world. So I am praying to ask Creator for help to people who need help in very bad situations. I just hope we might have peace in our world. :(

Yea im ok its nice to people on here care. till today i thought i was veiwed as a toll im not

Christ-church.

"Christ" as in Jesus Christ.

Krist--long "i" sounds like "eye".

yup its pronounced as Christ-church...

im in the North Island, in Palmerston North which is about 2 hours drive north of New Zealand's capital, Wellington. Palmerston North is not far from the fault line as does Wellington. Wellington gets more frequent shakes than we do. Since September last year, geologists have been discovering there a new fault line developed right under CHCH. The big shake yesterday was located at a mere 5km below the surface, so shallow to the rumble is much more pronoouced and more deadly as has just proven. Last year I recall i actually fell a couple after shakes rippling away from Chch onto the main fault, it was sharp and sudden. But as the geologist is still bit puzzled about how its not connected, and other times it is...that is beyond me. Pretty scary scenario indeed. Lake Taupo has one of the world's largest active volcano right under it, comparable to America's famous Yellowstone Park. We had a nuclear scientist staying at our place once, he mentioned (but not very clear) that his job is to monitor the nuclear activity of the earth's underground, core, molten, lava, caves, etc etc . to my best guess would be that material composition like rocks and tempertures of lavas etc beyond the chermist's so hence his role...but again i hardly understand any of this

its a deadly shake, and what been on my mind today is i just got a post card from my father whos been staying at Akaroa which is like an hour drive from CHCH (i think , going by looking at the map but never drove there)...and im wondering if he's is ok?!

im sure he is. I will find out soon

as for New Zealand we have 3 main parts, North Island, South Island, and Stewerd Island, and then there is a fourth but much further away they are the first land in the world to see the new day ahead of NZ, called Chatham Island.

I too am stunned the news coverage is PLENTY and quite scary, one mother died holding to her baby as the bricks smothered her head under the piles as the shopping mall collasped and the baby survived. This is a terrible tragedy!

i will pass on some links relating to the quake news later on..

I am glad two of our NZ'ers are alive and well. Now what about SG? Isn't she a NZ'er? Or was she in AUS for studies? Let's hope she will pop in.

I am glad two of our NZ'ers are alive and well. Now what about SG? Isn't she a NZ'er? Or was she in AUS for studies? Let's hope she will pop in.

SG just went back home for her grandmother's funeral. So I hope she was not in that area.

Like the others said, and I live right next door to NZ, it is actually christchurch.
Sorry to say.

it was cuz of your OP

Today - all over the news and currently on the news right now there has been a 6.3 earthquake, at Chrischurch in South New Zealand. 65+ people confirmed dead, hundreds injured.

However, I have realized something, SG is one of our moderators, and she mentioned that she has flown back to NZ, due to family personal reason but I am wondering if SG is in South NZ or north? Hope SG is Ok for the sake of AD. :shock:

Sadly no news on how van asch deaf education center is doing its in summer one of the worst hit places.

Deaf youth group and its sign classes I cant get through on the phone so im guessing its bad

havent heard more since but will check out tmw and let you folks know.. actually wee bit concerned about my dad...just a wee bit, more like if anything he'd be stranded there since airport be crammed..and delayed flights or whatever i dont even know how he got there...
just went to deaf club tonight about NZSL Bill been a good night, met some interesting folks and strangley no one seemed really fussed about CHCH which is a bit odd...

actually it was someone elses mistake not 126 dead, its 71 confirmed dead will rise,,,15 aftershocks since midnight (24 feb), 80% of city still without water, 164 serious injuried, all drinking water must be boiled, supermarkets just re-opened with EFT/POS regain operational status, not sure about how many % for electricity...over 2000 without homes, maybe 2500-3000 now I dont know...

Back