choices? Notetaker or interpreter

FuegoSerenity

Reaction score
Just want to know anyone out there, if they ever had a situation to make a choice to have a notetaker or interpreter in class. Where I'm going to school, which by the way, the service totally suck. I can only allow one accomodation at a time. In this case, I can only allow to have an interpreter but not a notetaker. If I want to have a tape transcribe, I have to give up an interpreter or a notetaker. If I want a notetaker, then the interpreter have to go. How stupid can this school of mine gets. Obviously, I just want to know if anyone ever have to deal something like that. :pissed:

Later

Just want to know anyone out there, if they ever had a situation to make a choice to have a notetaker or interpreter in class. Where I'm going to school, which by the way, the service totally suck. I can only allow one accomodation at a time. In this case, I can only allow to have an interpreter but not a notetaker. If I want to have a tape transcribe, I have to give up an interpreter or a notetaker. If I want a notetaker, then the interpreter have to go. How stupid can this school of mine gets. Obviously, I just want to know if anyone ever have to deal something like that. :pissed:

Later

They cannot do that! That is very UNETHICAL of them to do that!

When I attended a hearing university I had NO trouble getting an interpreter AND a notetaker at all. It's the law that they MUST provide you with what you need, and you should not have to pick between a interpreter and a notetaker. Seriously, they cannot do that to you. What university are you attending?

Columbus State. Though, I am working with a representive for the deaf community. They are working on it right now after I made my complaint about it and wanted to know what's the ADA law is.

Columbus State. Though, I am working with a representive for the deaf community. They are working on it right now after I made my complaint about it and wanted to know what's the ADA law is.

I am 100% sure that the ADA requires that the college provides you with what you need, interpreter AND notetaker and whatever else you need.

I remember that I brought my tape recorder for my history class once a week, and my mother wrote down for me. There were 50 students in my history class once a week. My interpreter showed up there. We hate the history teacher because he was not thriller or never brought up some interesting stories. He is very plain lecturer. Maybe, your interpreter hate your teacher because of boring stories, or your interpreter might be a real jerk. You might consider talk to your principle and fire your interpreter and get another one. My interpreter was fired because he ignored me and my teachers not to chew his gums in the class rooms. I don't mind if he chews his gum once a while, but all the way thru the classes every day. That's not right.

They should not even make you choose, You should have all the needs that would help you in class. Who's going to take notes while you have to watch the interpreter's signs? It's not the same as hearing students who can listen to the teacher with their ears while deaf people have to listen with their eyes.

I hope you do fight and don't let them win. Get what you deserved to get in order to help you in class ;)

Exactly!

exactly! That's why I'm considering transferring to Gallaudet where I don't have to struggle as much, trying to take notes and watching the interpreter at the same time. I still miss so much, almost made me want to give up college all together because of the accodomation. Don't worry, though. I have some backup with me. They're helping me get what I need.
BTW, can't fire the interpreter, the school hired 'em, not me. and she's the only one qualify in the whole county to interpret in college.

tell u what, keep the interpreter and ask a classmate to do a notetaking job for u....piece of cake! however they are required to provide u with both...

My school has me choose between captionist or terp. If I have a terp, I can have a designated student note taker at the same time - the ODS (Office of Disability Services) provides paper and the student note taker just takes notes on copy paper.

I get only note taker because I am in deaf class and my instructor speaks and sign at the same time

ADA says you get ALL the services you need. I am currently terping for a student that also has a prfessional notetaker. I have another student with a CI that just uses a notetaker, but that is his choice.

Back