Child crying while CI being activated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
who said they did? but there's a huge difference between angst because you wonder if a boy likes you and angst because you can't hear the teachers, your peers, your family. Big difference.

It would be hard to convince the girl wondering about the boy of that. Many tend to think that is the worst feeling in the world (at the time). Sorry but I am not going to minimize any teens pain by saying one is more justified than the other. Being a teen is tough.

It would be hard to convince the girl wondering about the boy of that. Many tend to think that is the worst feeling in the world (at the time). Sorry but I am not going to minimize any teens pain by saying one is more justified than the other. Being a teen is tough.

You're missing the point, TX...

The point is ADULTS have shared what it was like for them right here on AD. It is not about "how teens felt at the time"...

I'm sorry you never had the opportunity to experience the same by having hearing privileges while growing up.

The point is ADULTS have shared what it was like for them right here on AD. It is not about "how teens felt at the time"...

I'm sorry you never had the opportunity to experience the same by having hearing privileges while growing up.

Oh? TXGolfer was hearing as a teen? Ahhh..ok, that explains it.

The normal teen problems are made much much harder if you are the only or one of the few deaf teenagers among hearing teens not being able to understand what is being said most of the time.

whomever said one is more justified than the other? You are making such assumptions, not us.

Let's put this another way...imagine I came here and started up a thread to explain the reason I had been away for a while is because I was undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer. And someone posts that I don't own the market on sickness because they had a bad cold therefore I am not justified in thinking I am in any more pain than they are or that I am suffering any more than they are.

That poster would have been lambasted off the thread. It's not about who suffered more, it's about acknowledging one's experience, not trivializing it.

Why this constant comparison of deaf experiences to hearing experiences when one is clearly very different from the other?

I am not missing anything. I have read many of those accounts and they are quite painful to read. In fact I reply to many of them privately. I have also read the note of my sister's friend who wanted to end her life when she was in high school because of her home life. I attended the funerals of three friends who decided they couldn't take life as a teen anymore. One of those friends blew his entire head off with a shotgun. In his note he wrote that several people had teased him about his nose so he was making sure no one had to see his face at the funeral.

So, you are missing my point. Being a teen is tough. I am not interested in minimizing the difficulty that any teen faced and neither was Beach Girl. I think I can speak for her when I say we have no doubt being a deaf teen would be extremely difficult.

I am not missing anything. I have read many of those accounts and they are quite painful to read. In fact I reply to many of them privately. I have also read the note of my sister's friend who wanted to end her life when she was in high school because of her home life. I attended the funerals of three friends who decided they couldn't take life as a teen anymore. One of those friends blew his entire head off with a shotgun. In his note he wrote that several people had teased him about his nose so he was making sure no one had to see his face at the funeral.

So, you are missing my point. Being a teen is tough. I am not interested in minimizing the difficulty that any teen faced and neither was Beach Girl. I think I can speak for her when I say we have no doubt being a deaf teen would be extremely difficult.

these tragic you speak of.... is it related to deafness?

Remind me, how did we go from discussing a kid being in pain from a nonessential procedure to teens and who had the biggest hurt?

Hahaha, we're very tangential.

it's starting to sound like d&d at my house. From mythical characters rescuing a kid to world dominating and who we would save in rl and how we could run our own empire ( all details included)
I'm confused but feel at home.

Remind me, how did we go from discussing a kid being in pain from a nonessential procedure to teens and who had the biggest hurt?

Simple, one member stated (basically) let's see what the kid is like at 15

Then another member, a friendly member, stated basically that being unhappy is typical teenage behavior and somehow that got twisted into minimizing the experience.

It silly really because no one disputes that being deaf as a teen would be difficult. I don't think anyone disputes that being an oral deaf teen would be extremely difficult either.

Ok so ask the kid when he is 20. No teen issues to deal with and a more honest answer.

And what I fail to understand is why those who were hearing as teens "pretend" to understand how tough it was to be a deaf teen. It can (and usually is) FAR more tough than just typical teen angst. I hate playing the "if you didn't experience it you don't know what you're talking about" card but by god, sometimes it's absolutely true.

And what I fail to understand is why those who were hearing as teens "pretend" to understand how tough it was to be a deaf teen. It can (and usually is) FAR more tough than just typical teen angst. I hate playing the "if you didn't experience it you don't know what you're talking about" card but by god, sometimes it's absolutely true.

No one is pretending to understand how tough it is. But at the same time we can imagine and agree that it WOULD be tough, especially after reading the experiences of others.

I wasn't a deaf teen and I cannot imagine how it would have felt, people imaging things always offends and is never accurate. That's why I'm suggesting we get off the who hurt more as a teen topic and go back to the original topic or one not so offensive to people.
Changing the topic to a different subject can minimize the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back