Child crying while CI being activated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ty:Latascha

You guys need to put it in perspective a little bit.

I've seen children cry and brawl much worse from being told NO, that they can't have something...

Newborn babies cry all the time because it's their first time hearing and they're not familiar with the sounds they're hearing. This is probably no different, the process is delayed by 2-3 years.

He probably isn't experiencing physical pain as much as he is mental/emotional pain in hearing "loud noises" for the first time making him uncomfortable. If it was real physical pain, we'd have adults crying from the pain as well and I guarantee you, that child would be reacting much more if he was in real physical pain and screaming the house down.

Nothing worthwhile doing is ever easy. It's going to be hard for the child and his parents, but hopefully it pays off. If you watched the second video posted a couple of years later, he actually seems to enjoy it quite a lot now. Did that change your mind?

Babies cry when they get put in the water the first time... does this mean we shouldn't teach our children how to swim because they don't like it initially? Is it child abuse when you put a baby in the water and it cries?

Everybody who is deaf is entitled to stay that way and within the "deaf world", but you should applaud and congratulate those who choose to try and "hear" for a better quality of life. I've been in both worlds and there's no question I'd rather be in the "hearing" world over the "deaf".

people like you
I will only listen to people like you if you go and get the damn thing yourself. You cannot say that he's not in pain.
He says he's in pain!

It like if I came over and puched you in the face breaking your nose then telling you " nah that doesn't hurt"

The kid didn't have a choice

How about trusting the mother's intuition and judgement since she probably knows the child better than anyone having mothered and nurtured him since birth? I'm sure the mother would care and love the child more than anyone else in the world and she would surely know if he was seriously being hurt. Babies whinge and cry all the time, it takes a strong mother who loves their child to say no when it's the best thing for them.

For a child to be implanted with a CI (or CIs), the earlier the better... most of the speech and language development takes place in the early years of life... waiting until the child is old enough to make the decision themselves has squandered most of the potential benefits of CIs. At least when the child is old enough to make a decision himself, they can get the CIs removed.

Have you never been around a newborn baby?

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but it's been my observation that we deaf people are generally lagging behind hearing people when it comes to intelligence - which is no fault of our own, we miss out on so much more compared to hearing people. It makes it that much harder for us to study, get jobs, etc. Why would you want to go through life on an uneven playing field? I don't know of any blind people who would prefer to be blind than have 20/20 vision.

The child is not capable of making a choice since he doesn't have the mental capacity, so the Mother has made what she thinks is the best choice for her child. That's fair enough, every good Mother does the best she can for her child. She might not get every choice right, but she's doing the best she can which is about all you can ask for isn't it?

Deaf people are not suffering from lack of intelligence because they can't hear - couldn't believe you wrote that. they suffered because they are put in the wrong educational system.

The mother does not know what a deaf person needs. They do not know the ramifications of partial hearing loss on their educational and social lives. They do not know that CIs and hearing aids do not solve everything. Parents are not being properly informed by the medical community. All of that has to change. How can a mother do the right thing when she doesn't even know what that is because of partial information? How can a mother know that deafness is a way of life, not a crippling disability when the first time that comes out of professionals' mouths upon "diagnosis" of hearing loss is "I'm sorry, your child failed."

That's ominous and implies that without extreme intervention, a deaf child is doomed. How can a parent not be influenced by this when making their decisions?

And I firmly believe that when a child asks for CIs, they are already having the mindset that they are prepared to do the work to get maximum benefits from their CIs and I have heard very good success stories of kids who got implanted at age 8,9,10,11 and upwards and had managed to keep up with those who were implanted shortly after birth.

That and mothers intuition isn't always that accurate.

ask any kid that gets beaten, put down, ignored, killed....oh wait you can't ask the ones that got killed.
I knew a kid who had a cold and the mother went with her intuition, he died 3 hours later and she didn't think that it was an emergency because her mothers intuition told her it was ok.

now don't get me wrong, some mothers have excellent intuition, but those are also the minority that have the knowledge to back it up.

I teared up when I was activated.

Not because I was in pain, but because it was just so overwhelming at first.

And I'd do anything not to cry in public. I hate it with a passion.

Not that I'm assuming how the kid feels, just giving a personal experience that the kid may or may not identify with. They should ask him (or they may already have, off camera). Although, I'd imagine it's difficult for a kid to explain the feeling of being overwhelmed.

I didn't like it when the people laughed, but I don't think I'd go so far to call this child abuse.

Not that I'm assuming how the kid feels, just giving a personal experience that the kid may or may not identify with. They should ask him (or they may already have, off camera). Although, I'd imagine it's difficult for a kid to explain the feeling of being overwhelmed.

I didn't like it when the people laughed, but I don't think I'd go so far to call this child abuse.

I can respect you because you can draw from experience, but I have 1 argument. That's to do about tolerance, choice, and force.

My pain tolerance is high, what makes my fiancee ask for morphine barely makes me twitch.
The kid might have a much lower tolerance than you but no one took his explanation into consideration and forced him to go through with it anyways.
He had no choice, he was forced to feel what he explained as pain for the convenience of his parent, who may or may not have thought that he was being fixed.

This implant is not a necessary procedure that caused pain and carried the possibility of death or major complications.

If he was old enough to make the decision then fine, I would support him. But I refuse to support parents that implant babbies.
I see it as the same thing as putting body modification on babies.

How old were you when you got implanted?

He signed "pain!" and pointed to the ear... I doubt it was "overwhelming"..

He signed "pain!" and pointed to the ear... I doubt it was "overwhelming"..

If something was overwhelming for a kid, what exactly would they say? "It's overwhelming!" doesn't seem to be common for a kid to say.

If it indeed was pain, then the audi should have turned it off and see if there were any problems. Or start at a really low volume.

Honestly, it's really all speculation. All we can do with this video is use it as "evidence" of what we believe. I just hope things go well for the kid.

If something was overwhelming for a kid, what exactly would they say? "It's overwhelming!" doesn't seem to be common for a kid to say.

If it indeed was pain, then the audi should have turned it off and see if there were any problems. Or start at a really low volume.

Honestly, it's really all speculation. All we can do with this video is use it as "evidence" of what we believe. I just hope things go well for the kid.

The reaction would be different if it was not pain, for sure.

The reaction would be different if it was not pain, for sure.

Exactly, the first time I ever heard sound, I was nearly 4. My mother said she had to peel me off the ceiling, I was so overwhelmed...with excitement and wonder. Not pain.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending

Yes, you do. You just want to make yourself feel better and less guilty for saying otherwise.

but it's been my observation that we deaf people are generally lagging behind hearing people when it comes to intelligence

I sympathize with you over the fact that you are lacking a lot in your life due to the lack of self-esteem that your parents failed to instil in you.

Even if he was overwhelmed, if he signed pain then it should have stopped then so it could be checked out or the process scrapped if nessary. You should not act like a cruel sadist and laugh.

the kids I babysit don't say overwhelmed either, but they sure as all hell don't substitute the word with pain.
Usually along the lines of "TOO MUCH STUFF! "

Those who are older teen to adult made the choice, prepared for it, are usually informed about what's happening and understand it, and usually have a higher pain tolerance than babbies and tots.

people like you
I will only listen to people like you if you go and get the damn thing yourself. You cannot say that he's not in pain.
He says he's in pain!

It like if I came over and puched you in the face breaking your nose then telling you " nah that doesn't hurt"

The kid didn't have a choice

Did anybody mention yet Bon is an implantee?

Did anybody mention yet Bon is an implantee?

sorry I didn't know.

Bon I apologize for making an assumption.

But I still stand by the point that unless you are the person, you cannot say it doesn't hurt them.
Everyone processes things differently and just because it didn't hurt you that doesn't mean that it didn't hurt him.

Again from my experience- there is nothing in your ear-how can it be painful? Something "new" in Implant operations since July 12, 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back