Chelsea Lately's Heather McDonald makes fun of Marlee Matlin's voice.

matlinfan1991

Reaction score
While talking about Marlee Matlin's character on the show "The L Word", Heather proceeded to mock Marlee by using a "deaf" voice and pretending to sign. Many are trying to say that she was merely making fun of the character she plays. I disagree. What do you think? Sorry, I tried forever to find this with captions. But I couldn't.

YouTube - CHELSEA LATELY ROUNDTABLE w/ HEATHER MCDONALD

do you know what minute in video that she used deaf voice?

Start at 5:00.

Heather (talking about the L Word) : "But I love it, I watch it every Sunday. But I don't love every character in it. Like Marlee Matlin's on it. And I don't like the part she plays because she's so argumentative with her lover. She's always like (this is where the "deaf talk" starts) "Bette, I don't want to see you out. I want to go to the party, go dancing, listen to the DJ. This is a relationship. It's give and take. Afterwards, I kiss your boobies. Why you always mad?"

It stops at 5:30 and they go on to talk about something else. It's just really offensive, I think.

The sentences make us deaf people sound like we are incapable of speaking advanced English. :roll:

Heather McDonald is a comedienne and this is pretty much what comedy is these days.

Poking fun at people is what some people do for a living.

Wow... that was really rude of her. Think about things before you say them...

Is it bad that I laughed? I did watch the L word and I'm cracking up about it because Marlee's character really is like that. Did you want her to speak in a normal voice when she imitated the character? I'm sorry to say, but it's funnier with the deaf voice.

*shrugs*

I rarely laugh at Muslim jokes, everyone's different!

Is it bad that I laughed? I did watch the L word and I'm cracking up about it because Marlee's character really is like that. Did you want her to speak in a normal voice when she imitated the character? I'm sorry to say, but it's funnier with the deaf voice.

*shrugs*

I rarely laugh at Muslim jokes, everyone's different!

It is not about her voice..it is the quality of English used as if she was dumb.

Oh wow! I thought it was incredibly rude!! And yes, as was already mentioned, she used really poor English too, which made Marlee sound stupid. That was just really unbelievably childish. :ugh: I really don't enjoy most comedy these days... it's just not that funny anymore.

God Bless,

While talking about Marlee Matlin's character on the show "The L Word", Heather proceeded to mock Marlee by using a "deaf" voice and pretending to sign. Many are trying to say that she was merely making fun of the character she plays. I disagree. What do you think? Sorry, I tried forever to find this with captions. But I couldn't.

YouTube - CHELSEA LATELY ROUNDTABLE w/ HEATHER MCDONALD

It is interesting you are so passionate about this because of your fan status.

You know, lots of us face mockery fairly frequently.

I think it is worse when kids in the mall are making fun of deaf people just there to have fun with their family than when a comedian makes fun of a celebrity.

I think it is worse when kids in the mall are making fun of deaf people just there to have fun with their family than when a comedian makes fun of a celebrity.

True, but with this I am concerned that people who are ignorant about deaf people will truly believe that we are low class people incapable of higher education. I mean, the English was made terrible on purpose and there are so many deaf people who do struggle with it by no fault of their own so to me, that's just plain cruel. Just my opinion.

It is not about her voice..it is the quality of English used as if she was dumb.

Haha, I talk dumb when I sign because I can't speak and sign at the same time, due to my poor ASL. She did know SOME signs, so I'm guessing she tried to match her signs with her talking.

Never, at any time, did I say that it was only because of Marlee. I have a lot of Deaf friends who saw that episode and were really upset. Please don't make assumptions about me. Yes, I'm a fan. But it could've been any Deaf person that they were making fun of. I would've felt exactly the same.

Back