CDI: Certified Deaf Interpreter

Here's another use for the CDI: You are a speaker at convention and there's 500 people in the room. During or at the end of your speech you allow questions/comments from the audience. Instead of looking all over the room with bright lights overhead to locate someone with a question, you can have a CDI near you who will field the questions/comments for you. Not only does this make it easier for you, the speaker; other members of the audience is relieved from looking at the back of the one asking a question.
Yep. The deaf audience members don't need to miss any of the signing while looking around for the questioner. (Reduces neck twisting, too.)

Quick question relating to CDI's: do CDI's also take on the task of being interpreters for the Deafblind at Deaf events and events where there's a hearing terp or is that a separate specialty?

Quick question relating to CDI's: do CDI's also take on the task of being interpreters for the Deafblind at Deaf events and events where there's a hearing terp or is that a separate specialty?
A CDI with a sub-specialty of tactile interpreting could work facilitating communication between a deaf-blind client and a deaf ASL-signing client who doesn't use tactile signing.

A CDI with a sub-specialty of tactile interpreting could work facilitating communication between a deaf-blind client and a deaf ASL-signing client who doesn't use tactile signing.

Or as a tactile terp at a Deaf event, like if someone is giving a speech in ASL, right?

I agree...

Here in Toronto we have a few DI's who do ASL/LSQ interpreting, apperently there is a high demand for them. We have a few DI's too...I am planning an event in a few weeks and we will have two DI's there.

Yes

Or as a tactile terp at a Deaf event, like if someone is giving a speech in ASL, right?
Yes
I've definitely heard of Deaf people acting as SSP's (or intervenors) for the Deafblind. I was invited to go to DB camp and I had the option of having a Deaf or hearing SSP. But could a CDI double as an SSP or do they need formal training in DB terping first?
Yep, CDI's - especially the ones who are entering the Veditz Center's CDI programs - can be trained in DB interpreting.

I am in the program. :)

I took my performance test at the beginning of June. Let's see what happens.

Back