Career dreams shattered by disability?

I wanted to be a SEAL when I was growing up. But I wouldn't say the dream was shattered cause I always new I wouldn't have a chance to try.

Coming from a small town, I worked at a variety of odd jobs, not really knowing "what I wanted to do."...It was my sister, who practically pushed me out the door, giving me the motivation to make something of myself!.......saying..."we will have to take care of you, becuz you can't hear now.".....

I left that small town with just my Mustang, a small Uhaul towing my personal effects, and 2 small children, drove to Florida to "look for a better job with better pay."...My family was in an uproar!...

Since I had teletype/linotype training (newspaper), I went downtown to apply for a job. They practically would not even let me get my foot in the door....I persisted, over and over....until I was able to take the "test"...and I passed it with flying colors!...I was hired, with 3x the $$ I made before in that small town.....My goal was in journalism...but, I didn't get that far....(I was not college educated)....started in news, then promoted to the advertising dept.....

But I'm glad I took the "risk"!...Getting away from my family at the time and becoming my own "independent" person, answering only to "myself" and not others, especially "hearies".....It was a long, hard & lonesome road, but I would do it again!...it bolstered my confidence, self-respect and knowing that I could do most anything if I worked at it hard enuf.

If anyone was asked, "what is the ONE career you would do if you could," most people would answer something different than what they are doing now- no matter the level of any type of disability a person may have.

I think there are much more complex real time life situations that guide our career paths moreso than a "disability" attributed failure.

I was playing golf professionally when Menieres hit. Hard to play when the course is spinning. I did ok though with second career. :)

I always wanted to be either an airline stewardess or a nurse. The stewardess thought fell through after I fell at 16 and messed up my leg real bad. The nursing desire fell through after I found I got too attached to the patients and was extremely sad when they died. Realized I had a massive aptitude for numbers and can type quite well both on 10 key as well as 4 finger typing, I went into banking. After 2 violent robberies, I found I couldn't do that anymore without having anxiety attacks. Took my keyboard and keying aptitude to work at a collection agency typing in new account, from there I went to the Better Business Bureau for inquiry and complaint processing and filing. (I love to do filing) When we moved to Missouri, I went to work in an office job with no telephones. I did straight data entry and billing into a State Department of Mental Health website. We moved again and I could not keep the job and now I am unable to work due to various issues.

Dream job? Never really had a dream job, but I was very happy with what I was able to accomplish.

After reading all of your stories, I hope that good things come your way. Shel90, I know it was upsetting to be told that you weren't capable of having a job because you are deaf, but not all hearing people are as ignorant as the ones you spoke too. These people need to realize that deafness is a reality and that deaf people need jobs too. They are just as capable as a hearing person.

I am hearing and if I had a business, I would definitely allow deaf people to work for me. It would be discrimination if I didn't.

I hope that you all do not see hearing people as some sort of monsters. Any one can be a jerk, hearing or not. In reality, we are all different types of people. But we are all equal.

I hope that you all do not see hearing people as some sort of monsters. Any one can be a jerk, hearing or not. In reality, we are all different types of people. But we are all equal.

100% agree

After reading all of your stories, I hope that good things come your way. Shel90, I know it was upsetting to be told that you weren't capable of having a job because you are deaf, but not all hearing people are as ignorant as the ones you spoke too. These people need to realize that deafness is a reality and that deaf people need jobs too. They are just as capable as a hearing person.

I am hearing and if I had a business, I would definitely allow deaf people to work for me. It would be discrimination if I didn't.

I am married to a hearing man.

People who look down on deaf people are monsters whether they are hearing or deaf themselves. It is the audist attitudes that I hate.

So how many of you out there have had your career dreams shattered by your disability*?

Personally, I've always wanted to be an airline pilot. However, it's unlikely that I'd be able to get qualified as one with moderate hearing loss. Though, I'm currently working with an organisation to campaign against the current JAA class 1 medical requirements. Many of the other careers I'm interested have also got a huge barrier in front of them too. (Police constable, Armed forces etc.) Whenever someone tells me "If you put your mind to it, you can do it!". I reply with "BS". Of course, I try not to let it bother me too much. Instead, I'm focusing on other interests instead. Still, it would be great if I could pursue my main interest in the future though.

It would be interesting to hear any of your stories. I've met many people with various disabilities. Ironically many of them always have the desire to have an occupation which they cannot physically or medically be allowed to do.

ExR

*Sorry if you don't like the use of the term "disability". It seems that there is not one single term to describe our condition(s) that pleases every single one of us. From my point of view, I view my moderate hearing loss as a disability because it prevents me from doing many things which people with normal hearing can do.

I spent my entire youth trying to find the right career path that suitable for people who are deaf instead of finding something I'm interested in. That should tell you that much.

no, she said doesn't trust them. I don't always trust them either.

I have been hurt and put down by many hearing poeple about my deafness all of my life so it takes me time to trust strangers. I find it more easier to gain trust in people who are fluent in ASL whether they are hearing or deaf. It is a guard that I developed over the years after getting constantly put down, belittled, hurt and etc over and over again. It did take a toll. Right now, I am happy with my family, circle of friends and coworkers so I dont have this issue as much as before when I was younger.

The reason this lady had the biggest impact than all the other hearing people was because she was someone who was supposed to help deaf people in her field. That was why it was like a big "slap" in my face when she told me that.

My dream job was to be an FBI Agent. But realistically, so much could go wrong without being able to hear through a headset, or a phone, in an instant. Sure, I could go through the extra hassle of getting the information through to me in person, but some jobs require immediate action rather than a delay due to communication issues.

Today, definitely can't afford to become one anyway. So all I did was find another interest- like health and nutrition. And after getting the CI implant, I'm hoping it becomes a lot smoother for me to get back into work and to become a health teacher.

My dream job was to be an FBI Agent. But realistically, so much could go wrong without being able to hear through a headset, or a phone, in an instant. Sure, I could go through the extra hassle of getting the information through to me in person, but some jobs require immediate action rather than a delay due to communication issues.

Today, definitely can't afford to become one anyway. So all I did was find another interest- like health and nutrition. And after getting the CI implant, I'm hoping it becomes a lot smoother for me to get back into work and to become a health teacher.

sure you can be an FBI Agent. not as field agent but as professional staff. My HoH friend in law school is aiming for it.

Wirelessly posted

Good example the tv show Sue Thomas FBEye

Wirelessly posted

I am hearing/interpreter, I recently, studied medical assistant, at my externship site the supervisor chewed me out and said, I will never make it in the real world and telling me negative comments. I ended up getting pulled out from that site when my school heard about this. I am going to continue else where with only 26 hours left for a total of 160 hours.
I am relieved to know to be continuing my schooling for a doctor office.
Some people are hostile and have no patients with student who want to learn. Instead of showing me to do right, she would ask , "what school did you go to"? Nightmare

I don't care to much bout dreams, I mean they are after all just visions. I've managed to finish Tech School, and College.. yet I'm not pursuing a career in my field of study. Why? I don't feel like I'm ready to just yet. I'd rather have experience in one area, and in another in case one of the two fail, I'll have a fall back.

I wanted to be a social worker for deaf and hoh people years ago and I told
social workers could not be deaf or hoh .Person would not help me !

I was health aid for nine years and I really like that job, but when kid tboned my car I was no longer able to left people any more. If you can't lift a person out of a chair you are done as health aid.

Sorry to read that a hearing person messed up your dreams. I'm hearing and feel sadden by it, I hope that the few of us who care is worth it. :)

Back